Reasons to be Cheerful

Reynard, would you just roll the tobacco as you would for a normal roll up? It sounds pretty quality, would like to give it a shot.

Just exactly the same, you'll learn how much to pack it as well so you don't sook yourself inside out. Its a bit more moist than regular stuff if you'd rolled before so just leave it out with the packet opened over night to dry a bit and it will be fine. It will smoke straight from ther packet but it takes a bit more lighting to get it to burn sometimes. Its great! It's cheap! And it smells nice too and doesn't stink your clothes at all.

Just exactly the same, you'll learn how much to pack it as well so you don't sook yourself inside out.  Its a bit more moist than regular stuff if you'd rolled before so just leave it out with the packet opened over night to dry a bit and it will be fine.  It will smoke straight from ther packet but it takes a bit more lighting to get it to burn sometimes. Its great! It's cheap! And it smells nice too and doesn't stink your clothes at all.

Would it not taste even better using a pipe?

The regular tobacco I use is that Pueblo stuff and its very dry. I have a wee leather pouch I keep it in and my faither in law told me to get an old broken bit of terracotta plant pot and sand it into a small pebble shape, drop it in water for twenty seconds , dry it and lob it in with the tobacco if it has dried out too much and it will rehydrate enough. Certainly had no problem with the flavoured stuff but its cut a bit thicker anyway so it obviously holds a bit more moisture.

Would it not taste even better using a pipe?

Its mild stuff. I suppose it will taste nice in a pipe too but folk dont inhale those so much anyway. Its mild enough to smoke it like a normal cigarette. Or you can just not inhale I suppose. Whatever you like really. I tried the cherry stuff with cherry flavoured rolling paper and its brilliant.

My faither in law has definitely had the vanilla stuff in the pipe before because I recognised the smell right away. As I said last week, he smokes his pipe indoors and at no time at all would you think a smoker lived in the house unless you happened to come in during a full on reek! The smell just does not linger and leave that vile stale smell you get with factory fags. It obviously isn't riddled with the additives you get in those.

I used to smoke a pipe as a joke when I was a kid :lol: About five of us used to travel to the football on the train utterly reeking the carriage out so we could barely see each other. Them were the days. :P

Its mild stuff. I suppose it will taste nice in a pipe too but folk dont inhale those so much anyway. Its mild enough to smoke it like a normal cigarette. Or you can just not inhale I suppose. Whatever you like really. I tried the cherry stuff with cherry flavoured rolling paper and its brilliant.

My faither in law has definitely had the vanilla stuff in the pipe before because I recognised the smell right away. As I said last week, he smokes his pipe indoors and at no time at all would you think a smoker lived in the house unless you happened to come in during a full on reek! The smell just does not linger and leave that vile stale smell you get with factory fags. It obviously isn't riddled with the additives you get in those.

I used to smoke a pipe as a joke when I was a kid :lol:  About five of us used to travel to the football on the train utterly reeking the carriage out so we could barely see each other. Them were the days. :P

I'm not a smoker mate but have seen & smelled some of the tobacco you talk of.....agree some smell wonderful.

Factory fags on the other hand.....

I'm not a smoker mate but have seen & smelled some of the tobacco you talk of.....agree some smell wonderful.

Factory fags on the other hand.....

Ive had the American Spirit cigarettes before and they don't smell stale on you either but they are very expensive. I think they were pushing £10 a packet from the tobacconist at one point. Cigarettes have definitely got more chemically tasting in recent times as well, which wasn't great.

The smell when you walk in the door of the tobacconist is incredible. Absolutely gorgeous.

Quite a few of the hand rolling tobacco is available additive free or organic now. Regular rolling stuff is better than factory fags regardless but the additive free stuff is definitely the way to go. Drum even do a version now too. If you are going to the bother of rolling your own then you may as well get decent stuff I reckon.

I haven't actually tried very many at all.

I've tried the vanilla, which is absolutely wonderful. Especially if you smoke it with the orange Rizla papers or the orange zig zag papers.

I got the black cherry yesterday which isn't as huge a flavour but it still smells lovely and it tastes really nice. I got half an ounce of toffee flavour too which I havent tried yet.

I have tried cherry menthol before and to be honest I don't like menthol smokes anyway. But there are absolutely loads to try. Its fun (and not expensive) just buying a half ounce here and there and seeing what you like.

I'm not a fan of menthols either but I might still give it a whirl. I don't find the aniseed to have a very noticeable flavour but it does leave an aniseed taste in your mouth for a while after smoking, similar to the way that eating aniseed balls does.

I think you can buy online if there isn't a proper tobacconist near you.

For what it's worth, I ordered mine from here: https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/categories/auld-kendal-hand-rolling-tobacco . There seems to be quite a few sites selling it but I found this one to be the cheapest. Same day dispatch and I had my order two days later.

I'm not a fan of menthols either but I might still give it a whirl. I don't find the aniseed to have a very noticeable flavour but it does leave an aniseed taste in your mouth for a while after smoking, similar to the way that eating aniseed balls does.

For what it's worth, I ordered mine from here: https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/categories/auld-kendal-hand-rolling-tobacco . There seems to be quite a few sites selling it but I found this one to be the cheapest. Same day dispatch and I had my order two days later.

Yeah I've had a look through that online shop a few times. I'm wanting to support my local place, it's been there for over a hundred years in town and I think it will have the vast bulk of whats available onine. I've told the wifie that runs it that I'm working my way round the entire tobacco stock anyway :P

I had a few goes at the black cherry again today and it's really nice. Its a bit like the vanilla one in that it took me a few cigarettes to actually realise the flavour was so good. I might actually like it better than the vanilla now.

And another thing that can be annoying with roll ups is stained fingers. I havent had those at all from any of the tobacco I used. I did get some Amber Leaf as a port in a storm a couple of months back and it did stain and I hate that. Its not nice tobacco either and at £4 for 12.5 grammes , its also shite value for money.

I'm making sure I am well stocked with decent stuff in future.

Dropped my boy at school today, and walked past a fat monstrosity who was dropping off her spawn too. She was stood at the gate, cigarette in one hand, pram in the other and her son was munching on a steak bake. After he had finished she said "Gie's that fucking poke, and get to school!"

I'm not going to lie, it made me feel so much better about myself.

Guest The Phoenix

"Gie's that fucking poke, and get to school!"

If her father hadn't poked her mother in the first place, the world would be a better place.

If her father hadn't poked her mother in the first place, the world would be a better place.

Well yes, that's true. It's the wee lad that I felt sorry for. You know that the cycle will almost certainly continue.

Dalling in Ayr.

I normally bought Pueblo loose out the jar from them which is about £7.50 an ounce but I decided to try the flavoured stuff the other week and it was considerably cheaper. Again, it's loose out the jar, I "think" the brand was Auld Kendall? could be wrong, but I,m sure that was the name on the jar. She told me that because it wasn't as fine cut that it wasn't classified as cigarette tobacco and therefore the tax was considerably less. Pipe tobacco is taxed less and I think that stuff it lumped in with it. Its ribbon cut so its fairly easy to roll, I'm making perfect rollies with it anyway.

I think you can buy online if there isn't a proper tobacconist near you.

I'm almost 4 months off the fags, the nearest I've come to puffing tobacco products was last week in Andalucia, the wife refused to give me a cig so I had to go back to the room for more juice. The E-Cigs I'm on right now are wonderfully flavoured. Menthol, cherry, blueberry, aniseed and my new favourite....Cinnamon. Fantastic. Great to mix flavours and experiment. Nicotine content now reduced to 12%. Aiming for 0% nicotine by new year. I'll still be vaping when I hit zero though, now that I've found out a few pubs in the toon are vaper friendly. O'Briens being one of them. Rabbies is a No No. Feck them.