Which, Music Site?

Hi folks, I am currently on the look out for a decent music site to download music from. I have tried a lot of free sites but seem to end up with loads of viruses and adware. So with this in mind I am open to paying-however, I am not sure which ones have a decent selection.

Personaly I am more into bands of yore such as the Jam, Stone Roses etc and some modern like Snow Patrol and White Stripes. I have looked at napster, but feel paying a tenner a month and then also paying for the music is a bit over the top. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :)

I noticed today the US courts have backed the music industry and decided that p2p programs are open to prosecution now.

The Inquirer

As for the White Stripes I obtained their "Under Blackpool Lights" DVD after seeing their Glastonbury show on TV. Good stuff. Have you used bittorrent? Less prone to viruses perhaps, compared with LimeWire etc.

So, to answer your question, no. :P

Soulseek is quite simply the daddy for music. Don't try to download anything else from it though as you'll get very little. It's almost 100% dedicated to music.

A lot of people will tell you it's pish but it just takes a bit of getting used to as it's different from most p2p's.

If you need a hand, give us a shout. It's dead easy though.

Cheers folks, I will try them tonight when I get home from work. :) On the bittorrent site I seemed to download something with a trojan, AVG picked this up though. :) Also I could not download the correct mirror. :(

I notice that Napster is giving a 7 day trial.

What format do the files get downloaded in - ie if I download and burn them on to CD, could they be transferred to another computer without Napster membership?

What format do the files get downloaded in - ie if I download and burn them on to CD, could they be transferred to another computer without Napster membership?

563191[/snapback]

Already tried the 7 day trial. Okay it let's you search and listen to the music but as soon as you try to burn any, you are charged on the debit or credit card you gave as id. :( So really it is a bit of a con to say it is a free trial. :angry:

Try this website it has what sites are clean to use and what ones that you shouldn't use to get music from.

Hope that helps.

562694[/snapback]

Cheers mate, that has helped. Not had a chance to try much out tonight but when I do I will let you know how I got on. :)

Guest Tommy Wilson's Paperboy

563191[/snapback]

I don't think you can do that. I tried sending a song as a file through MSN Messenger and it wouldn't work at the other end.

Any time i've used Napster i've paid per song - about 90p. Didn't need to subscribe or anything.

Cheers mate, that has helped.  Not had a chance to try much out tonight but when I do I will let you know how I got on.  :)

563981[/snapback]

Your wellcome. I have been trying out winmix,and so far so good,not had a problem with it.

everbody's covered p2p and bit torrent but if you're looking for a couple of 'paying' sites I'd recommend Big Noise Music and Karma Download.

Big Noise gives 10p of every pound spent to oxfam, so you can feel like Bono or Chris Martin whilst you're downloading.

Karma's quite good for some lesser known indie stuff.

Archived