Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

My 760 still runs everything I throw at it perfectly.

So does my 660ti, although I guess that depends on your definition of perfectly. It will play everything but not on the highest settings and it wouldnt handle an intensive ENB mod.

The RX480 provides a nice upgrade for half the price of a new high end card

Looking to get either a R9 390 or a GTX 970 for my PC I'll be ordering soon. I'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to understanding a lot of the actual reviews about these cards so, in as simple terms as possible, would one of you kind folk be able to share a bit more information about these cards?

I've done a bit of research on the 970 and it seems to fit the bill pretty well for what I'd be looking for so really, I'm just looking for some of the main pros/cons and similarities/differences between the two.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

Looking to get either a R9 390 or a GTX 970 for my PC I'll be ordering soon. I'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to understanding a lot of the actual reviews about these cards so, in as simple terms as possible, would one of you kind folk be able to share a bit more information about these cards?

I've done a bit of research on the 970 and it seems to fit the bill pretty well for what I'd be looking for so really, I'm just looking for some of the main pros/cons and similarities/differences between the two.

You might want to look at the new RX 480 and the NVIDIA 1060 thats due out shortly. Both will be better buys than the R9 or 970

Personally, Im probably going to hold out for the 1060, partly because its supposedly faster than the RX and partly because I already have an NVIDIA card

ETA - I've caved and bought a 480. At the beginning of the week everywhere had stock, now quite a few of the versions are going out of stock and not expected back in until the end of the month. Given the 1060 might not be readily available until August, if then, I couldnt wait

Edited by Mr X

I've had a 970 for about a year or so and it handles every single thing I throw at it without any hitches. Unless you are planning on getting a 4k monitor or buying a VR headset I'm sure it would be more than adequate. 

18 hours ago, Mr X said:

You might want to look at the new RX 480 and the NVIDIA 1060 thats due out shortly. Both will be better buys than the R9 or 970

Personally, Im probably going to hold out for the 1060, partly because its supposedly faster than the RX and partly because I already have an NVIDIA card

ETA - I've caved and bought a 480. At the beginning of the week everywhere had stock, now quite a few of the versions are going out of stock and not expected back in until the end of the month. Given the 1060 might not be readily available until August, if then, I couldnt wait

8 hours ago, Ramagamma said:

I've had a 970 for about a year or so and it handles every single thing I throw at it without any hitches. Unless you are planning on getting a 4k monitor or buying a VR headset I'm sure it would be more than adequate. 

Cheers lads, will keep that in mind.

9 hours ago, Ramagamma said:

A 970 will still set you back north of £200. The RX480, and the 1060 when it comes, will absolutely blow it out of the water for the same price.

I'll report back over the weekend when I've had a chance to look at the 480 but Im certain that its performance at 1080p will be streets ahead of my 660ti, which is almost the same, performance wise, as the 970

17 minutes ago, Ramagamma said:

It's hardly going to be an upgrade when every game I play is already 1080p 60fps on ultra.

People who upgrade their graphics cards for the bling factor are insufferable.

Im not suggesting you should buy one. What Im saying is, if you're buying a card now you'd be pretty stupid to buy a 970 ahead of a 1060 or RX480 unless price is your main motivator and you can pick up a 970 for less than the new cards

I cant play anything on Ultra with the 660ti, so I guess its not as close to the 970 as I thought. Thats why Im upgrading, nothing to do with "bling factor"

Had a limited play about with the 480. Runs Fallout 4 flawlessly at 1920x1080 with everything on Ultra :thumsup2 Went to Diamond city and stole something so everyone was attacking me. FPS didnt drop at all!

It also has a virtual resolution mode where you can set the display to be higher than the monitor resolution. Got a reasonable frame rate on Fallout at 384x2160 but crashed in certain areas. I could probably play about lowering some of the settings to get it stable but ultra at 1920 will be fine. Especially when I find a decent ENB.

So far, definitely worth the upgrade

Am hoping to get one at the end of the month, although I just gave my current card a proper clean, reoplaced the thermal paste etc, so it's working a lot better now.

2 hours ago, Ramagamma said:

The technological equivalent of women who buy Michael Kors handbags when a tesco carrier bag would do. Insufferable. 

Err, no. You're either being deliberately obtuse or you've simply no idea what you're talking about

Iv'e upgraded from a 660 to, effectively, a 980 for £250

How much did your 970 cost?

2 hours ago, Tamdunk said:

Am hoping to get one at the end of the month, although I just gave my current card a proper clean, reoplaced the thermal paste etc, so it's working a lot better now.

Better hope thats when the come back in stock then! Im still considering the 1060 as I reckon the value of the 480 will hold reasonably well.  Ive had NVIDIA cards for so long its weird having something different. Plus, a few of the games I play regularly have better support for NVIDIA. 

22 minutes ago, Tamdunk said:

I'm on a 7850, which is the graphical equivalent of a tesco carrier bag.

:lol:

I really like this table

According to that youre only one level below where I was.

Stick with it, though. No need to upgrade to a much better card.

Not overly impressed with AMDs driver/software so far. It has options for AA and such like but whenever I try and use anything other than the defaults Fallout crashes after a few minutes playing. On the defaults its fine. 

Its like playing a different game at times with fog and the difference in lighting :)

The value for money divebombs with each little step up at the top of the GPU ladder. I've been on a 650 Ti Boost for years now, only recently looking like it's justifiable to spend the money on an upgrade, probably something in the 480 range.