Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

I got it down yesterday. Only managed half an hour at it so not done much. Should get a decent session this eve. 

Me and my mate just went sailing to map out some far flung islands and got gibbed by the wildlife. I won't spoil which biome or creature that killed us but f**k me we have a job on our hands to go and recover our stuff. It's so far away and all our best armour and weapons are on the boat, which is also destroyed. b*****d.

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

Me and my mate just went sailing to map out some far flung islands and got gibbed by the wildlife. I won't spoil which biome or creature that killed us but f**k me we have a job on our hands to go and recover our stuff. It's so far away and all our best armour and weapons are on the boat, which is also destroyed. b*****d.

Multi-player sounds good. My boys watched me play this evening and it would be magic to get them on as well. Not shelling out for another pc tho for a few years yet. 

Got as far as building a really shit house tonight. Need to find some animals to make myself a bow and arrow and I think the game will get a little easier. 

Edited by madwullie

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

Multi-player sounds good. My boys watched me play this evening and it would be magic to get them on as well. Not shelling out for another pc tho for a few years yet. 

Got as far as building a really shit house tonight. Need to find some animals to make myself a bow and arrow and I think the game will get a little easier. 

Yeah the bow is the best weapon in the game. Godspeed.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Bit further in now. Getting quite into it. Now just need to kill a billion deer to get armour for the first boss. 

Once you get the hang of shooting stuff you'll never be short of deer hide and meat.

After about 6 failed attempts and managing to edge some portals ever closer to our (now mass) graves we managed to retrieve our stuff but the boat was just gone, not even the materials left behind so had to build another longboat.

Moving to the 3rd boss tomorrow after an hour of runs into the swamp for iron.

14 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Once you get the hang of shooting stuff you'll never be short of deer hide and meat.

After about 6 failed attempts and managing to edge some portals ever closer to our (now mass) graves we managed to retrieve our stuff but the boat was just gone, not even the materials left behind so had to build another longboat.

Moving to the 3rd boss tomorrow after an hour of runs into the swamp for iron.

If you die and don't get to your body on the corpse run before getting killed again, is that everything lost?

I thought it was, so abandoned my shit earlier on after a skeleton jumped me before I made it - I didn't have too much on me so it was only ~20 mins or so to get back to a similar amount of stuff but still 🤬 

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

If you die and don't get to your body on the corpse run before getting killed again, is that everything lost?

I thought it was, so abandoned my shit earlier on after a skeleton jumped me before I made it - I didn't have too much on me so it was only ~20 mins or so to get back to a similar amount of stuff but still 🤬 

No your tombstone will persist - however you will lose the map marker, you only get one tomb marker on the map at any one time and it's always the most recent death.

So basically get into the habit of marking every notable location manually.

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

No your tombstone will persist - however you will lose the map marker, you only get one tomb marker on the map at any one time and it's always the most recent death.

So basically get into the habit of marking every notable location manually.

Ah sound. Thanks. That's good (although could be interesting if it was all gone - possibly a bit too brutal as you get further in if you die more often tho) 

Just now, madwullie said:

Ah sound. Thanks. That's good (although could be interesting if it was all gone - possibly a bit too brutal as you get further in if you die more often tho) 

Aye, but tbh nothing in the game really despawns at all I've noticed.

Another thing that may be helpful, if you cut down a tree and leave the stump it won't grow back. So remove the stumps and the trees will steadily grow back. Saves you time in the end instead of having to walk further and further for wood from your main base.

Just now, GiGi said:

Aye, but tbh nothing in the game really despawns at all I've noticed.

Another thing that may be helpful, if you cut down a tree and leave the stump it won't grow back. So remove the stumps and the trees will steadily grow back. Saves you time in the end instead of having to walk further and further for wood from your main base.

Nice. Have you bothered planting your own trees or taming boars or shit? 

Just now, madwullie said:

Nice. Have you bothered planting your own trees or taming boars or shit? 

I've planted a few aye but doesn't really seem to make a difference, they do grow back anyway.

We had a boar pen with tamed boars, started with 2 and had 7 at one point, but then got raided by trolls and they fucking destroyed the pen, killed most of the boars and the rest ran away.

We haven't been short of meat or leather though so can't be bothered getting them back. That space is now a vegetable farm for turnips and carrots, which I've also had to start from scratch twice because of raids wrecking it.

On 22/02/2021 at 21:17, GiGi said:

I've planted a few aye but doesn't really seem to make a difference, they do grow back anyway.

We had a boar pen with tamed boars, started with 2 and had 7 at one point, but then got raided by trolls and they fucking destroyed the pen, killed most of the boars and the rest ran away.

We haven't been short of meat or leather though so can't be bothered getting them back. That space is now a vegetable farm for turnips and carrots, which I've also had to start from scratch twice because of raids wrecking it.

Didn't realise the map was procedurally generated. That's really smart. 

Destroyed the first boss. Off to find the black forest and axe the living shit out of some dwarves 

20 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Didn't realise the map was procedurally generated. That's really smart. 

Destroyed the first boss. Off to find the black forest and axe the living shit out of some dwarves 

Aye no two seeds are the same. They can be shared though. 

That's good. You'll have access to mining soon, have fun. See you in a few weeks etc.

I killed boss 3 yesterday. Not that tough with good gear. Onto the 4th biome at some point this week. For now just farming up turnips for large food supplies.

Considering how much I (surprisingly) enjoy Valheim (survival and building type games never piqued my interest before) I've just picked up scum as its on offer on steam. 
Only a matter of time before you fall into the world of Dayz. Come in, the water Is lovely...

11 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:
4 hours ago, madwullie said:
Considering how much I (surprisingly) enjoy Valheim (survival and building type games never piqued my interest before) I've just picked up scum as its on offer on steam. 

Only a matter of time before you fall into the world of Dayz. Come in, the water Is lovely...

You know, I'd always dinghyed it because I thought I wouldn't enjoy that type of game. Will check out some videos