Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

The AOH and RFBs are perfectly at liberty to parade.

I have no problem with them parading, I don't like RFBs and their ideology (not so much perhaps their ideology, republicanism is a perfectly honourable aspiration, more the way they go/went about trying to impose their ideology) I wouldn't condemn their right to march or ban them.

I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to watch them, I would probably go out of my way not to watch them.

Displays of paramilitirasim associated with RFBs (and loyalist bands, too, on occasion) are another matter.

As an aside, a few years back on St Patricks Day, I went into our local town in the evening, just in time to witness the local Hibs band form up outside the Orange Hall before parading the town. Not a word was said, nor an eye batted.

If the local Orange band formed up outside the chapel before parading the town, there would be a riot.

God bless the anecdotal Orange Lodge and god damn the hypothetical chapel.

You're supposed to be practicing Catholic to join the AOH, the RFB's claim they are not in anyway swayed by religion and they tend to be more militant. The AOH's stance on the Hunger Strikes pretty much finished them off and saw a rise in RFB's throughout Scotland and in Ireland.

Slight differences, similar arseholes.

Seems to me as if broadly speaking the RFB are counterparts of the Apprentice Boys while the AOH are counterparts of the LOL.

Or have I picked this up all wrong?

Seems to me as if broadly speaking the RFB are counterparts of the Apprentice Boys while the AOH are counterparts of the LOL.

Yes (You have picked it up wrong.)

AOH = LOL

RFB = Loyalst flute band

I also agree with their right to parade, much as I don't like them either, I was only questioning the veracity of a few poster's true opposition to bigotry.

That was established long ago.

Some people might disagree, or point out that it's perhaps not quite as black and white as that, but in my opinion, classing the AOH as some sort of 'Green' Orange Order wouldn't be far from the mark.

With, admittedly, limited knowledge on the Apprentice Boys, I would have thought they would be closer to the OO/AOH than they would be to a RFB. Loyalist flute bands on the other hand, whilst there will be some who will say they are nothing alike, I think most sane folk see the similarities.

924.png

Afgan national cricket ground...in UAE?

Pakistan has also got rough enough that they can no longer stage home fixtures in their own country.

Staging large parts of the tournament in NI during marching season seems perfectly sensible in this context

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Match tomorrow. Having lost our first 4 of the season we have won our last 4. Hopefully I'll get a nice sunburn, a couple of runs and a victory. Top club in Lanarkshire for the win.

Where do you play? Cricket was never my sport in Motherwell but I'm learning.

Think their penchant for soda bread and the absence of black pudding is the only thing that makes an Ulster fry different from a traditional Scots breakfast. Suspect an orange wok would be utilised much the same way in the schemes of central Scotland on both sides of the divide. We have the heart attack rates to prove it.