St Andrews thread

MrFanA

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see saints getting another good result against the league leaders...confidence will be high amongst the ranks at recreation park after two big results hope they keep it going and avoid the dreaded drop or play off...

Looking forward to what should be a good competitive game..

C'mon ye Saints, lets keep the good times rolling with what will be a great hatrick. :thumsup2

Important game today for both sides but hopefully the BU's can snatch the three points. Always a worry when there is a Scottish Cup game to play next weekend that the BU players are thinking about next week and not today. Hopefully the senior players keep everyone focussed.

Apart from getting beat saints played good. A couple players played a bit under par but overall team performance was good. Nothing spectacular apart from the free kick power strikes by Baz which sadly never went in. Saw Kamil hit a shot or two. Need more of that confidence to strike.

Ref was a bit hot and cold but mostly cold. Overruling a linesman who's job it is to watch the line when he calls an offside highlights intentions. Why would he do that? Who has the better view? On the BU thread someone wrote it actually helped us because the guy with the ball pulled up upon seeing the flag. How does that help the situation? A ref with less view overruling the linesman who's job it is to call offsides sets the tone for his intentions. I hate blaming refs and always read about it and wonder why they don't blame players or teams but that ref had issues. And for the first time I actually have bad things to say about a ref.

Similar tackles on the both keepers and one gets penalised? I read on BU thread that the saints player went up and never even looked for the ball and that's why he got penalised. We'll it wasn't. It was for arms. Which he used as leverage out of his side. Not on the keeper. Baz went up strongly with his back to the keeper facing the ball, the BU keeper lost out on the up and had no option but to contest, just like we did. Difference is BU won the argument and we didn't when it was a reversal. It's all about perspective and influences, and from my perspective the ref influenced the game. It became all about him at stages. Firstly the BU fans hate him, give him some abuse which was not even fair, mostly the usual big man attitude spouting abuse which then turned to praise for some decisions. Then it was just "we love u ref" after they saw he wasn't out to get them as predicted on the BU thread.

Can't blame the ref for the result. Better team won on the day but not by much. When you compare wee saints team against the mighty BU, a well versed Super-league team competing at the top levels constantly then the saints done not too bad. The end result doesn't reflect the performance put in. Hard fought by saints and had control of most of the first half. Had a few chances early on. Second half against the wind was fun for the keepers kick outs. Think he hit the side line supports on the head more than his own team mates. Biggest chance was Gary Sutherland's free header in the box which just went over the bar.

Onwards and upwards hopefully. Can see saints turning a corner and gelling into a great competitive team in the super-league if they stay up. Everything's crossed.

Boness were the better team,mind u a gr8 save by Peat early on couldve made a difference,great back heel by hislop,stonewall pen and a neat 3rd goal won the points,St Andrews are in a false position the league on their recent games,hope u stay up

Going by Boness games that could be Kelty then :)

Ballingry for me! St Andrews a bit unlucky in the 1st two games against Bo'ness not to take a positive result, hard-working and a goal threat. I'm surprised at their position in the league but to be fair, I though the same when Newtongrange got relegated a few years back so what do I know!!!

Apart from getting beat saints played good. A couple players played a bit under par but overall team performance was good. Nothing spectacular apart from the free kick power strikes by Baz which sadly never went in. Saw Kamil hit a shot or two. Need more of that confidence to strike.

Ref was a bit hot and cold but mostly cold. Overruling a linesman who's job it is to watch the line when he calls an offside highlights intentions. Why would he do that? Who has the better view? On the BU thread someone wrote it actually helped us because the guy with the ball pulled up upon seeing the flag. How does that help the situation? A ref with less view overruling the linesman who's job it is to call offsides sets the tone for his intentions. I hate blaming refs and always read about it and wonder why they don't blame players or teams but that ref had issues. And for the first time I actually have bad things to say about a ref.

Similar tackles on the both keepers and one gets penalised? I read on BU thread that the saints player went up and never even looked for the ball and that's why he got penalised. We'll it wasn't. It was for arms. Which he used as leverage out of his side. Not on the keeper. Baz went up strongly with his back to the keeper facing the ball, the BU keeper lost out on the up and had no option but to contest, just like we did. Difference is BU won the argument and we didn't when it was a reversal. It's all about perspective and influences, and from my perspective the ref influenced the game. It became all about him at stages. Firstly the BU fans hate him, give him some abuse which was not even fair, mostly the usual big man attitude spouting abuse which then turned to praise for some decisions. Then it was just "we love u ref" after they saw he wasn't out to get them as predicted on the BU thread.

Can't blame the ref for the result. Better team won on the day but not by much. When you compare wee saints team against the mighty BU, a well versed Super-league team competing at the top levels constantly then the saints done not too bad. The end result doesn't reflect the performance put in. Hard fought by saints and had control of most of the first half. Had a few chances early on. Second half against the wind was fun for the keepers kick outs. Think he hit the side line supports on the head more than his own team mates. Biggest chance was Gary Sutherland's free header in the box which just went over the bar.

Onwards and upwards hopefully. Can see saints turning a corner and gelling into a great competitive team in the super-league if they stay up. Everything's crossed.

i hope u enjoy your drink st andrews are magic

Going to miss my regular trips to St Andrews. Good luck for the rest of the season boys, too good a club to go down.

No such thing. We have been in a similar position as well so they'll just have to dig in and get results.

• 1 month later...

Following a meeting last night at Recreation Park, between the Executive Committee of St Andrews United and the Management Team, Gus Malone and Allan Ramsay have left the club by mutual consent.

We would like to place on record our thanks and appreciation for the hard work carried out during their time at Recreation Park.

The club would welcome applications for the position of Manager in the first instance by email to, Mark Johnson, Club Secretary at mark.johnson1970@hotmail.co.uk.

As an interim measure Phil McGuire has been placed in charge of team affairs assisted by Chris Seeley.

I would like to place on public record my thanks to the Gus Malone, Alan Ramsay and Jim Hardie (Retired through ill health).

For those that dont know me, I was persuaded out of long time retirement (Junior groundhopper with a Tayport season ticket) to help with the Goalkeepers by Jim Hardie.

Wont make any personal comments as I will continue to work with the club as required.

All the best guys.

Having seen first hand the effort, commitment and heart & soul that Jim, Gus & Allan have put into the club, I think it is an absolute disgrace how they have all been treated over the last few months. St Andrew's committee should hang their heads in shame.....and yep, I would fear for the club as well now going forward. Can't see what has been achieved with this latest announcement coming so close to the end of the season.

terrible decision. these are two of the guys that have helped take st andrews from the bottom league to the top league. i fear for the club now.

Agree it's a bad decision but do not fear for the club. Fully expect them to go straight back up again next season.

Archived