Amsterdam

greenockraver

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went over when i was 20 and 23 and had a great time. Now touching 30 i don't think it'd have the same buzz. Only abiding memory is taking a few hits from a bong, and feeling nothing until we got major giggles whilst sitting in the front row of a live sex show about an hour later.

The Amsterdam Dungeons is far better than Edinburgh Dungeons after a few smokes - recommended although it's a bit out the way.

• 1 month later...

As someone utterly clueless in the weed department, any advice would be appreciated as it seems like there’s crazy amount of choice. Someone said Amnesia is a good first timer one to go for? Is pre-rolled okay, as I wouldn’t have a clue about rolling it myself?

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As someone utterly clueless in the weed department, any advice would be appreciated as it seems like there’s crazy amount of choice. Someone said Amnesia is a good first timer one to go for? Is pre-rolled okay, as I wouldn’t have a clue about rolling it myself?

If you're not a smoker I'd suggest hash cookies or similar to avoid coughing your guts up.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

If you're not a smoker I'd suggest hash cookies or similar to avoid coughing your guts up.

I thought about that, but everything I’ve read says that it’s a different (and stronger) type of high that isn’t great for first timers?

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I thought about that, but everything I’ve read says that it’s a different (and stronger) type of high that isn’t great for first timers?

Just have a wee bite and wait for half an hour before gobbling it up. If you're nervous take it in your hotel room and see how it goes. I prefer the hit than smoking, it's mellower with a gentle build up rather than an instant white out you can get if a joint is too strong for you.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just have a wee bite and wait for half an hour before gobbling it up. If you're nervous take it in your hotel room and see how it goes.

Not particularly nervous, just looking to know what I’m best doing. Online seems to suggest Indica strains rather than Sativa strains.

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Not particularly nervous, just looking to know what I’m best doing. Online seems to suggest Indica strains rather than Sativa strains.

I'm not up to date, but I'd avoid skunk or whatever they call it now. When I've had it it was more like getting hit by a sledgehammer into numb paralysis than a giggly psychedelic experience that I like. Best stuff I've had is hash oil, relatively pure THC. Got it in a wee test tube and you just dip a match stick in and rub a bit on the outside of a cigarette. Totally clear headed but the world goes all Van Gogh.

P.S. The dope sellers in the Amsterdam coffee shops are usually knowledgeable and helpful in my experience, but this is from a while ago. Just ask for something mild first and see how it goes.

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Asked the guy and he suggested a mild skunk for first time. Smoked it and had absolutely zero effect, but now unsure whether to smoke something stronger. Probably wait for a bit and try something stronger.

I didn't notice anything the first time, didn't seem to be doing anything, thought I couldn't be doing it right. Suddenly became aware I was off my skull.

Depends on the weed really, Indica will give you a heavier type of stoned feeling whereas Saliva will make you a bit higher, i would err on the side of caution when it comes to edibles some can creep up and kick your arse, as mentioned above have a little bit and see how it goes, most decent coffeeshops will advise you, pre rolled can be ok some are rubbish, most coffeeshops, if they aren't too busy, will help you out and roll one for you if you're nice to them.

Probably best not to mix it with beer, things could get messy, if you do get high and are feeling like a whitey is coming grab a sweet fizzy drink the sugar will help you out.

A boat trip round the canals whilst high is rather pleasant.

Enjoy

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Asked the guy and he suggested a mild skunk for first time. Smoked it and had absolutely zero effect, but now unsure whether to smoke something stronger. Probably wait for a bit and try something stronger.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

A couple of hours on and absolutely nothing. Very disappointing, probably go try another stronger one later.

Maybe don't say it's your first joint next time, just ask for something good that won't knock you out. 

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Maybe don't say it's your first joint next time, just ask for something good that won't knock you out. 

Went back and went a couple of levels up on the pre-roll chart up to what it claimed was strong. Got a very mild high for a while and was starting to think I must’ve been doing something wrong. Out of nowhere it hit me like a fucking steam train and went from 2 pints feeling to 15, could barely walk and it felt like that black mirror episode where people were blocked out and faceless. Utterly mental, but not particularly enjoyable. Luckily wore off fairly quickly otherwise I’d have ended up crawling home.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Went back and went a couple of levels up on the pre-roll chart up to what it claimed was strong. Got a very mild high for a while and was starting to think I must’ve been doing something wrong. Out of nowhere it hit me like a fucking steam train and went from 2 pints feeling to 15, could barely walk and it felt like that black mirror episode where people were blocked out and faceless. Utterly mental, but not particularly enjoyable. Luckily wore off fairly quickly otherwise I’d have ended up crawling home.

Aye, not fun at all. Hard to find mildly hallucinogenic dope that gives you the giggles and munchies anymore.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

When it first hit I felt like I’d melted into a puddle. 

My theory is they've been messing about crossbreeding to get the maximum hit too much instead of thinking about the quality of the high. In the olden days you could get dope from all over the world instead of some guy's shed or basement. Thai sticks and Moroccan double zero were a couple of my favourites.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd avoid edibles and pre rolled joints, you don't know how much (or how little) is in it.
I would also avoid the tourist trap places (Bulldog, Hunters, Barneys) and stick to the better coffeeshops (Voyagers, Utopia, 1e Hulp, Kadinsky, Siberie, Paradox). The Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory forum is a good source of information and there's a section when you can view current menus. Ask to see the weed or hash before you buy it.
Also, avoid 'moonrocks' (basically a bud dipped in hash oil and coated with Kief) they are priced around 40€ a gram and although I've never tried one, the general consensus is that they are a massive waste of money. On that topic, there's a recent trend of some coffeeshops selling 'Cali' weed for the eye watering price of 60€ a gram. F**k that.
I'm heading over in 3 weeks and can't wait, it'll be my 10th time visiting and we have booked a house boat in Amsterdam Noord.

Archived