Amsterdam

greenockraver

3 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

I'd avoid edibles and pre rolled joints, you don't know how much (or how little) is in it.

This 100%. 

We went to Haarlem last year, and had a cake each. I had, had one before in Amsterdam a few years previous and it didn't really do anything. However this one absolutely floored me and a mate. We had gone to this cafe, then to a booze shop to get a few bottles. Sat beside the canal drinking and then it hit us. Felt like a wave going through me. Took me about five minutes to shuffle round from the edge and stand up. Just walked through the town pissing ourselves laughing. This was at about 2pm. Four hours later we were still chuckling away, but it had lost all  amusement. Had to stop looking at each other, or talking because it would inevitably end up with one of us bursting out with laughter which would set the other off. 

In the end, we managed to make our way to McDonalds, the meal sort of helped me out, lost the fuzziness that I felt. He couldn't bring himself to eat, so we just went back to our digs and fell asleep till the next morning. Felt 100x better after that, but basically ruined a whole day. 

This 100%. 
We went to Haarlem last year, and had a cake each. I had, had one before in Amsterdam a few years previous and it didn't really do anything. However this one absolutely floored me and a mate. We had gone to this cafe, then to a booze shop to get a few bottles. Sat beside the canal drinking and then it hit us. Felt like a wave going through me. Took me about five minutes to shuffle round from the edge and stand up. Just walked through the town pissing ourselves laughing. This was at about 2pm. Four hours later we were still chuckling away, but it had lost all  amusement. Had to stop looking at each other, or talking because it would inevitably end up with one of us bursting out with laughter which would set the other off. 
In the end, we managed to make our way to McDonalds, the meal sort of helped me out, lost the fuzziness that I felt. He couldn't bring himself to eat, so we just went back to our digs and fell asleep till the next morning. Felt 100x better after that, but basically ruined a whole day. 
Haarlem is a great place, only 20 minutes on the train from Amsterdam Centraal. Did you see the organ at Grote Kerk? It's nearly 300 years old and was played by Mozart. Highly recommend Birdy coffeeshop for anyone visiting Haarlem. They have 'Jelly hash' on their menu and it's by far the strongest I've ever smoked.
A few years ago, I went over with Mrs 50/50 Winner as I had tickets to see Jools Holland at the Paradiso. She doesn't smoke so had a space cake before we left the hotel. It took about half an hour to walk there and she became very quiet. She said she was fine so we went in. After two songs, she advised that she had to leave right away. She was on a whitey and I had to put her to bed. The two songs cost me £30 each. Gutted. th.jpg

9 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

Haarlem is a great place, only 20 minutes on the train from Amsterdam Centraal. Did you see the organ at Grote Kerk? It's nearly 300 years old and was played by Mozart. Highly recommend Birdy coffeeshop for anyone visiting Haarlem. They have 'Jelly hash' on their menu and it's by far the strongest I've ever smoked.
A few years ago, I went over with Mrs 50/50 Winner as I had tickets to see Jools Holland at the Paradiso. She doesn't smoke so had a space cake before we left the hotel. It took about half an hour to walk there and she became very quiet. She said she was fine so we went in. After two songs, she advised that she had to leave right away. She was on a whitey and I had to put her to bed. The two songs cost me £30 each. Gutted. 

Yeah we had luckily gone there in the morning, if we hadn't not a hope in hell that we were going to see it. 

Much preferred Haarlem to Amsterdam if I am honest, lovely little place. Will definitely go back to make the most of it at some point. 

Yeah we had luckily gone there in the morning, if we hadn't not a hope in hell that we were going to see it. 
Much preferred Haarlem to Amsterdam if I am honest, lovely little place. Will definitely go back to make the most of it at some point. 
I agree, Haarlem is a lot quieter and isn't as seedy as Amsterdam. I always take the train through for a wander around when I'm over.

I was there a week or two back. Honestly think its a shit hole. Really grimy and seedy, which I guess is why folk go. This is fine at night when you are getting involved in all it has to offer but I felt it a really depressing place to walk around through the day.

Took a day trip to Utrecht and it was much more pleasant.

Heading to Amsterdam in Thursday with a couple of mates. Staying close to Oosterpark. A lot of restaurants and bars all look good on trip advisor. Anyone been in the area and got recommendations? Reckon we’ll be going the Heineken experience as well, worth it?

I was there a week or two back. Honestly think its a shit hole. Really grimy and seedy, which I guess is why folk go. This is fine at night when you are getting involved in all it has to offer but I felt it a really depressing place to walk around through the day.
Took a day trip to Utrecht and it was much more pleasant.

That's true of the Centrum area, but you can walk 20 minutes out to the Jordaan or De Pijp. Both beautiful places to have a wander about.

15 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Heading to Amsterdam in Thursday with a couple of mates. Staying close to Oosterpark. A lot of restaurants and bars all look good on trip advisor. Anyone been in the area and got recommendations? Reckon we’ll be going the Heineken experience as well, worth it?

Brouwerij 't Ij is close by, its a brewery in a windmill...maximum Dutchness

Brouwerij 't Ij is close by, its a brewery in a windmill...maximum Dutchness

Cheers, we’re the other side of Oosterpark and little south (roughly a mile and half according to google maps) so as long as the weather isn’t too bad that’ll be a fine walk and will tick many a Dutch box (Kenneth Williams etc etc)

Hoping to head back to Amsterdam in September but really struggling for a decent cheap hotel.  Anybody any ideas?  Hostel is a no no (friend who is coming is refusing to stay at one for some reason) and preferably with decent links to city centre. 

I’m there for 3 nights in August and booked The Student Hotel for £240. It’s 3 stars.

I’m there for 3 nights in August and booked The Student Hotel for £240. It’s 3 stars.

We’ve went with an Airbnb apartment. First time I’ve ever used it. Was £600 in total for 3 nights, for 3. Could well be shite but I’m sure we’ll survive 3 nights, and I prefer apartments to hotels generally.

4 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Amsterdam is flat, compact and easy on the feet plus wandering can unearth hidden spots you wouldn't normally find

The only annoying thing is you often can't walk on the pavements because of all the bikes parked up and if you walk on the cycle lane you get screamed at.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The only annoying thing is you often can't walk on the pavements because of all the bikes parked up and if you walk on the cycle lane you get screamed at.

Aye some streets are bad for that but they're clamping down on it, there was a big clear up in my area, as for walking on the cycle lane...it's for bikes innit :whistle

• 4 weeks later...

If you click on the word boekhandel it will give you a list of shops that stock it, it said Copa has it, very close to centraal station cool store selling old football shirts.
Ako and Brunna are listed as stockist there are a few of them in the city think there might be an Ako at Schipol