Scottish Independence

xbl

Why should the UK government not pay for the CG with spending excluded from Barnett?

I'm not sure what your question is here.

Why should the UK government pay for the Commonwealth Games?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where have I said the Olympics were good for Britain?

Well taking it that the Olympics were a British event, since they were funded by the British taxpayers, taking in this context what specifically did you mean when you stated

The Olympics was great. Money well spent I say.

Well taking it that the Olympics were a British event, since they were funded by the British taxpayers, taking in this context what specifically did you mean when you stated

I meant, specifically...

"The Olympics was great. Money well spent I say".

I loved the Olympics. It was excellent. Showed off Britian to a global audience, big boost to the British economy, top class sportspeople competing in high level events.

I was very much against the Olympics bid, but I loved the actual events. Was terrific.

I'm not sure what your question is here.

Why should the UK government pay for the Commonwealth Games?

Maybe if you stopped asking questions and deemed to answer some then your contribution might have some value. I will ask the question in simple terms if it will help.

British taxpayers (including Scots) paid for the Olympic games. Scottish taxpayers are paying for the Commonwealth games. Is this equitable?

I'd have no problems incidentally with Glasgow or Edinburgh bidding to host the Olympics and the British taxpayer helping fund that.

British taxpayers (including Scots) paid for the Olympic games. Scottish taxpayers are paying for the Commonwealth games. Is this equitable?

Yes.

Who paid for the Manchester Games?

Yes.

Who paid for the Manchester Games?

I was always under the impression the majority of cash was provided via the UK government. That's why some up here when a bit potty the Glasgow games.

I meant, specifically...

"The Olympics was great. Money well spent I say".

I loved the Olympics. It was excellent. Showed off Britian to a global audience, big boost to the British economy, top class sportspeople competing in high level events.

I was very much against the Olympics bid, but I loved the actual events. Was terrific.

Really. How many events did you attend? Also I would like you to provide evidence that this was a "big boost to the British economy", I would like to know the Net contribution to the British ecomony directly attributable to the Games themselves thanks.

I was always under the impression the majority of cash was provided via the UK government. That's why some up here when a bit potty the Glasgow games.

To repeat, the Manchester Games was funded out of Sports England, the Treasury contributions to which were Barnettable.

It is a bit odd how general redistribution of taxes are okay in Scotland but not the UK London and the South East...

It's more the whole general narrative around tax redictrubtion rather than the specific games that is my issue here.

The same with the pensions patter coming from the SG - ignoring the huge difference in life expectancy within Scotland.

The Commonwealth Games are third rate. An absolute waste of our money by the Scottish Government.

I'm just interested to see how many of those who were up in arms about the London Olympics, are similarly enraged by the SG wasting our money on a school sports day.

The Commonwealth Games were brought to Glasgow by the Labour-run City Council, under Stephen Purcell. Not by the Scottish Government. The decision to put Glasgow forward as a candidate city was made in 2004, 3 years before the SNP took power at Holyrood. Nae luck mate.

This is like when people try to blame the SNP for the trams debacle, or the original golf course deal with Donald Trump, which went through in 2006 under Jack McConnell.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/mcconnell-broke-rules-on-163-300m-trump-golf-deal-1-1411242

If it has a net benefit in terms of revenue generated or if said revenues make infrastructure projects (needed ones) more viable than they would've been alone: Good.

If it doesn't: w**k.

That's all there is to it really. I suspect neither qualify for the 'Good' category but that's a total guess on my part.

Big lols at HB not being a nationalist though. This discussion was worth having for that bit of comedy.

The Commonwealth Games were brought to Glasgow by the Labour-run City Council, under Stephen Purcell. Not by the Scottish Government. The decision to put Glasgow forward as a candidate city was made in 2004, 3 years before the SNP took power at Holyrood. Nae luck mate.

It was a joint agency bid i believe, and in any case the Scottish Government are poicking up 80% of the tab.

Again, I have no problem with the Commonwealth games and think they are a good thing, but it's not being financed solely by GCC

I disagree with all things Commonwealth-related, but both the Commonwealth Games (and Ryder Cup) will certainly show off Scotland to large parts of the world and be a boost to our economy.

How many folk here that watched either the last Commonwealth Games / Ryder Cup and thought "Hmmm, Delhi / Chicago" looks like a good place to go?

Away from the games venues (mostly indoor now) and the golf course, outsiders generally see f*** all of the place.

How many folk here that watched either the last Commonwealth Games

A very good question.

I'm still hoping to be selected for our tennis team. I'll be disappointed if I don't get the nod.

Really. How many events did you attend? Also I would like you to provide evidence that this was a "big boost to the British economy", I would like to know the Net contribution to the British ecomony directly attributable to the Games themselves thanks.

I didn't attend any events. I know lots of people who did though. What does event attendance have to do with the Olympics being terrific?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/olympic-games-legacy-boosts-economy-by-billions

Archived