Scottish Independence

xbl

So, she's not good enough to be UK prime minister but absolutely fine to the leader in an independent Scotland?

Eh, yes. Scotland is much smaller than the UK and has a much shallower pool of political talent.

That's not to say that Scotland can't produce UK Prime Minister calibre politicians (we've seen that with the likes of John Smith, and Gordon Brown) but a UK-wide party like Labour has a much wider talent pool than just our little group of incompetents.

Joanne Lamont is a joke. As Cathy Jamieson was before her. And Ian Grey. None of them are even ministerial level talent in Westminster, never mind PM.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you have a go at me for quoting Wings?

Yes it does when you post like a child.

Whatever enjoy the debate while it lasts. Also FYI I'm applying for a job next week before you start hinting that I have something wrong with me.

Whatever enjoy the debate while it lasts. Also FYI I'm applying for a job next week before you start hinting that I have something wrong with me.

Good luck with your job application. I'm sure you'll do well.

Why is the devolution proposals from Rennie/Davidson/Lamont getting so much coverage as if it's a credible alternative?

Am I not right in saying these three puppets will have literally no say in whether we get these powers or not? They can have it on their agenda all the want but isn't it Westminster who gives it the final ok?

Whereas we can just vote Yes and then we get these powers anyway?

Bit desperate but very annoying to see it being reported in the manner it was last night.

Have I missed something? :unsure:

Remember that you need to get your LEA's permission and that you do need to be 14 (13 in some areas).

Care to educate me then, HB?

My understanding of the situation is Rennie/Lamont/Davidson say 'we want more powers for Scotland', they include it in their Party manifestos, put proposals forward etc

Then it's up to Westminster to say Yes or No.

Am I incorrect here?

Care to educate me then, HB?

My understanding of the situation is Rennie/Lamont/Davidson say 'we want more powers for Scotland', they include it in their Party manifestos, put proposals forward etc

Then it's up to Westminster to say Yes or No.

Am I incorrect here?

How did the Scottish Parliament come into being?

Did Donald Dewar have nothing to do with that and "Westminster" did it all?

Well from my hazy recollection (I was 10 in 1997) we had a Referendum and the public voted overwhelmingly in favour of having a devolved Scottish Parliment so Westminster passed the Scotland Act 1998.

Yes, Donald Dewar was one of the main drivers behind this.

In the here and now though - if we vote No in September who has the final say on this little proposal?

2185812271.jpg

Well from my hazy recollection (I was 10 in 1997) we had a Referendum and the public voted overwhelmingly in favour of having a devolved Scottish Parliment so Westminster passed the Scotland Act 1998.

Ok, you are getting there...

If Scotland votes Yes in September, does "Westminster" have to do anything? Yes or No?

The question asked was ,Do rennie davidson and lamont have the power to grant more powers?

Usual spin and whataboutery from hb who just posts things nowadays looking for an argument

Oh and a straight yes or no will suffice

Ok, you are getting there...

If Scotland votes Yes in September, does "Westminster" have to do anything? Yes or No?

Just a wild guess, but I imagine after a negotiation process, Scotland would become an independent country.

Oh and why did we have a referendum in the first place in 1997?

I don't know, for a laugh?

I was 10 years old.

The question asked was ,Do rennie davidson and lamont have the power to grant more powers?

Usual spin and whataboutery from hb who just posts things nowadays looking for an argument

Oh and a straight yes or no will suffice

No surprise to see you get your daily wrong in early...

the claim made was -

"Am I not right in saying these three puppets will have literally no say in whether we get these powers or not?"

This is not correct.

Just a wild guess, but I imagine after a negotiation process, Scotland would become an independent country.

Does the UK Parliament have to enact any legislation enabling this?

I don't know, for a laugh? I was 10 years old

Sorry, I wasn't aware that not being an adult at the time of a historical event precludes you from actually finding out anything about it. My mistake.

No surprise to see you get your daily wrong in early...

the claim made was -

"Am I not right in saying these three puppets will have literally no say in whether we get these powers or not?"

This is not correct.

No surprise your dodging the question,your probably better off heading to a thread were you can try and wind up supras

cue buckets of fail utter drivel sigh etc etc etc

How did the Scottish Parliament come into being?

Did Donald Dewar have nothing to do with that and "Westminster" did it all?

Donald Dewer was "Westminster" at the time. He held the roles of Shadow Scottish Secretary and Scottish Secretary during his tenure as a Westminster MP.

Archived