Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's twice you've mentioned this. It didn't garner much of a reaction the first time.

I noticed that - not even the most ardent nationalist is trying to defend that one.

We will never get to the root of these problems by education policy changes alone. I don't think you can separate it out from welfare and fundamental economic issues. Which is why we need independence.

Indeed but cutting the budgets wont help. Which social group will be most hurt by this at the time when the whole curriculum is changing - 'the rich kids' whose parents can afford to buy new study and exam guides and/or tutors or the kids whose parents can not afford to spend any money like this ?

1. All nations are flawed. All nations "waste opportunities". There is nothing special about Scotland that means its present constitutional arrangements make it uniquely predisposed towards "wasting opportunities"

2. H_B has dismantled this one. We are in line with international comparators.

3. Off you pop to live in Lochaber then. Oh. Wait. No. I didn't think so. "Location: Edinburgh". Most people don't want to live in the Highlands. If people really valued bigger houses over location, everyone in England would be aspiring to live in rural Northumbria, everyone in the US would aspire to live in Arizona, Alaska or Nebraska and Australians would populate the Outback. If you want cheaper and bigger homes, build them in the Highlands, by all means. Don't be surprised when it's rich people that buy them as holiday homes rather than your average working Scottish family.

4. "Why do you think Scotland is uniquely capable of addressing these challenges under your preferred constitutional arrangement? Why aren't you "positive enough" for us to meet these challenges whatever the constitutional terrain? Are you so loathing of the Scottish psyche that you think we haven't he courage and the confidence and the means to seek a better future working with others within a political union?"

See how meaningless this "positive" patter is?

Aww, it's P&B's very own TL;DR White Knight. Bless.

Indeed but cutting the budgets wont help. Which social group will be most hurt by this at the time when the whole curriculum is changing - 'the rich kids' whose parents can afford to buy new study and exam guides and/or tutors or the kids whose parents can not afford to spend any money like this ?

So you're talking about poor families? Ones affected by austerity? Ones perhaps having to go to foodbanks? Ones who's kids can be considered to be in poverty?

1. All nations are flawed. All nations "waste opportunities". There is nothing special about Scotland that means its present constitutional arrangements make it uniquely predisposed towards "wasting opportunities"

2. H_B has dismantled this one. We are in line with international comparators.

3. Off you pop to live in Lochaber then. Oh. Wait. No. I didn't think so. "Location: Edinburgh". Most people don't want to live in the Highlands. If people really valued bigger houses over location, everyone in England would be aspiring to live in rural Northumbria, everyone in the US would aspire to live in Arizona, Alaska or Nebraska and Australians would populate the Outback. If you want cheaper and bigger homes, build them in the Highlands, by all means. Don't be surprised when it's rich people that buy them as holiday homes rather than your average working Scottish family.

4. "Why do you think Scotland is uniquely capable of addressing these challenges under your preferred constitutional arrangement? Why aren't you "positive enough" for us to meet these challenges whatever the constitutional terrain? Are you so loathing of the Scottish psyche that you think we haven't he courage and the confidence and the means to seek a better future working with others within a political union?"

See how meaningless this "positive" patter is?

1. True, all nations are flawed. I would argue that the centralisation of power and wealth in London has resulted in wasted opportunities.

2. I don't agree that he has. I said we fail the people at the bottom, he says we are doing well overall. Two separate points.

3. I think we could do more to create employment in the Highlands, and to provide housing for people who live there all year round. Tax issues are at the heart of the second point.

4. I think we could do better under the current arrangements in many of these areas, and I would also be happy enough with a federal UK. That would have to be with UK-wide agreement, however, which looks unlikely. Independence isn't the only way they could be addressed, but it's the best available, in my opinion.

Do tell us where the cut money went before we go any further.

1. True, all nations are flawed. I would argue that the centralisation of power and wealth in London has resulted in wasted opportunities.

Which specific "opportunities" are you confident (with sound evidential backing) that an independent Scotland won't "waste" that "London centralisation" has caused to waste?

2. I don't agree that he has. I said we fail the people at the bottom, he says we are doing well overall. Two separate points.

Essentially all other nations have also failed those at the bottom by those measures. Either that, or you're now boasting that other societies are better because they leave more rich people illiterate and innumerate than we do.

3. I think we could do more to create employment in the Highlands, and to provide housing for people who live there all year round. Tax issues are at the heart of the second point.

There is not a shortage of housing in the Highlands for those who want to live there nor is it too expensive. It has some of the least expensive accommodation in the whole of Scotland.

Why should we create jobs in the Highlands when people would rather have jobs in the cities?

4. I think we could do better under the current arrangements in many of these areas, and I would also be happy enough with a federal UK. That would have to be with UK-wide agreement, however, which looks unlikely. Independence isn't the only way they could be addressed, but it's the best available, in my opinion.

This is a complete change of tune. Are you now admitting that this "positivity" stuff is a load of proud fart no shite?

Which specific "opportunities" are you confident (with sound evidential backing) that an independent Scotland won't "waste" that "London centralisation" has caused to waste?

Essentially all other nations have also failed those at the bottom by those measures. Either that, or you're now boasting that other societies are better because they leave more rich people illiterate and innumerate than we do.

There is not a shortage of housing in the Highlands for those who want to live there nor is it too expensive. It has some of the least expensive accommodation in the whole of Scotland.

Why should we create jobs in the Highlands when people would rather have jobs in the cities?

This is a complete change of tune. Are you now admitting that this "positivity" stuff is a load of proud fart no shite?

There ain't no party like an Ad Lib party.

Is this the voice of the Libdums talking?

No jobs for the highlands.

No affordable housing for the highlands.

Is this a new Danny Alexander pledge?

Dear dear Libby. Whats happend to you?

How much did the Scottish Government cut the education budget by, Tubbs?

How much did the Scottish Government cut the education budget by, Tubbs?

Circa 5% as I recall is the decrease in real terms - although clearly the budgets are set by local authorities

I'd say APD is a good example of London-centric policy making. Would there be more air routes from Inverness with a lower APD? Almost certainly. Would that be good for the economy of that area? Yes. Raising APD makes no difference at Heathrow.

On education, I think the system is too focused on university entry and leaves behind those unsuited to higher education. Other countries have a flatter performance profile (possibly because they have a more equal society?). I don't see what's hard to understand here.

Housing can be relatively cheap and still too expensive for local people. You are pretty naive if you think there are no housing problems in the Highlands. As for jobs, I think the RET policy on ferries is one example of what we can do, but with independence we would have a wider range of tools available. In my opinion, lots of people work in the cities because they couldn't find good work closer to home. Yes, others prefer the cities or larger conurbations. Why not try to grow some bigger settlements?

Archived