Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the question, will an independent Scotland have FULL control over everything ?

I always hear that westminster have 'fucked us over' time and again...who's to say they won't do likewise in negotiating an independent Scotland ?

They can't take away powers from an independent country. If we vote for independence from the Union, it's independence from the Union. Everything will be controlled from Holyrood and nothing from Westminster. The only negotiating is over the assets and the debts, along with the currency union, but none of that can "strip" us of any powers.

That's the question, will an independent Scotland have FULL control over everything ?

I always hear that westminster have 'fucked us over' time and again...who's to say they won't do likewise in negotiating an independent Scotland ?

Who really cares mate? We've been shafted for decades, eighteen months is nowt.

They can't take away powers from an independent country. If we vote for independence from the Union, it's independence from the Union. Everything will be controlled from Holyrood and nothing from Westminster. The only negotiating is over the assets and the debts, along with the currency union, but none of that can "strip" us of any powers.

iScotland won't have "full" control over "everything". No country does.

And if iScotland in EU, we won't have full control. Whatever happens , compromises will be made.

Because we hold the ace...Trident! If rUK refuse to play ball we tell them to take their fireworks to feck and give them weeks to do so. If, on the other hand, they are more reasonable during the negotiations then I'm sure we will be able to come to some sort of agreement

Who really cares mate? We've been shafted for decades, eighteen months is nowt.

To be fair to the lad he deserves an answer. If people seriously think that voting Yes can still result in powers being kept at Westminster they need to be reassured that simply cannot happen. I would hate for people to think that a Yes is anything but complete and utter control at Holyrood. Absolutely nothing will be left at Westminster.

Because we hold the ace...Trident! If rUK refuse to play ball we tell them to take their fireworks to feck and give them weeks to do so. If, on the other hand, they are more reasonable during the negotiations then I'm sure we will be able to come to some sort of agreement

Don't be daft. That won't happen. (dismantling a nuclear base safely will take more than "weeks")

ye, these three parts are more or less full control, the rest goes without saying.

iScotland won't have "full" control over "everything". No country does.

And if iScotland in EU, we won't have full control. Whatever happens , compromises will be made.

Stop being an idiot. First you say we won't have full control, then you say "compromises" must be made. If we don't have control how can we make compromises?

The simple fact is a vote Yes means absolutely NO powers remaining at Westminster. Of this there can be no debate. It is really as simple as that.

To be fair to the lad he deserves an answer. If people seriously think that voting Yes can still result in powers being kept at Westminster they need to be reassured that simply cannot happen. I would hate for people to think that a Yes is anything but complete and utter control at Holyrood. Absolutely nothing will be left at Westminster.

How can you possibly know that?

ye, these three parts are more or less full control, the rest goes without saying.

No, no, Westminster will not get control of those things. It's a matter of legally separating (for the lack of a better phrase) "our share". There will be NOTHING controlled from Westminster, no matter how well or not any negotiations go.

Stop being an idiot. First you say we won't have full control, then you say "compromises" must be made. If we don't have control how can we make compromises?

The simple fact is a vote Yes means absolutely NO powers remaining at Westminster. Of this there can be no debate. It is really as simple as that.

Not having full control= compromises. That is how I can say those two statements.

Do you honestly believe a yes vote means iScotland just does 100% of all it wants, forever?

What? :blink: Are you serious?

If you can list something that will not be controlled from Holyrood, please list them (and who instead will control those powers).

All the things that are linked to UK.

All the things that are linked to EU via the UK.

All the things that are linked to the rest of the world.

All these things are not going to be 100% accepted 100% of the time, by everywhere. Just cos Holyrood has control (in your picture) does not mean we can negociate them all to our advantage 100% succesfully.

Don't be daft. That won't happen. (dismantling a nuclear base safely will take more than "weeks")

You don't have to disarm the base, only the warheads, and that can be done in a matter of days! After the warheads are disarmed thats it, no more nuclear deterrent

You don't have to disarm the base, only the warheads, and that can be done in a matter of days! After the warheads are disarmed thats it, no more nuclear deterrent

oh aye. it will be a doddle. like you say.

only days! a pushover.

All the things that are linked to UK.

All the things that are linked to EU via the UK.

All the things that are linked to the rest of the world.

All these things are not going to be 100% accepted 100% of the time, by everywhere. Just cos Holyrood has control (in your picture) does not mean we can negociate them all to our advantage 100% succesfully.

Sorry but where is that list? All you've said is "all the things".

Your logic is massively flawed. Just because Scotland may wish to be part of the EU doesn't mean it's not an independent country. The decision to join the EU will be taken at Holyrood, not Westminster. We have complete control whether we wish to join it or not. (Edit: Obviously I want us to join, but that's not the argument you are trying to make here).

You really are being extremely obtuse.

Sorry but where is that list? All you've said is "all the things".

Your logic is massively flawed. Just because Scotland may wish to be part of the EU doesn't mean it's not an independent country. The decision to join the EU will be taken at Holyrood, not Westminster. We have complete control whether we wish to join it or not. (Edit: Obviously I want us to join, but that's not the argument you are trying to make here).

You really are being extremely obtuse.

Yes. It is the list.

That is what the list looks like.

iScotland needs to negociate all of that (some will happen quickly tho)

"Just because Scotland may wish to be part of the EU doesn't mean it's not an independent country." < i never said otherwise. All countries in the EU are independant countries.

iScotland joining the EU is obviously not in control of Holyrood.

Archived