Scotland's Oil

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

When that happens they'll be desperate to get rid of us :)

It's a very serious question.

How much of the £1.3trillion debt will be repaid, or will it be more?

Where will future oil and gas come from?

How many countries will we be actively engaged in war with?

How much will we have spent on new Subs and weapons?

How much over budget will HS1+2, Hinkley point, Londons sewers or even aircraft for the carriers, run?

That's just in the next few years.

Hate to think what else is in store.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest, is this the same Mr Wood that was proclaiming a £200bn bonanza over the next couple of decades from the Oil and Gas section in Scotland just a few years ago. It seems that his predictions seem to be tailored towards his audience.

When it's investment he is looking for, then the spin is positive and when it's his own pet unionist agenda well then clearly it's not quite as enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong Mr Wood is not a stupid man, he would never say something that was either untrue or could come back to bite him but he knows how to preach to the believers.

It wasn't "just a few years ago". It was literally this year when Davey boy went on a visit to the North Sea. What a difference 6 months can make :lol:

Did it? Can't say I have noticed here in the NE Scotland. :P

You can cycle down the Formartine and Buchan route, it's just as good, honest. :)

I think HS1 was a good idea, HS2 I'm slightly more dubious as to the merits of. Saying that, I'm not convinced by the Scottish Government's plan to build a High Speed link between Edinburgh and Glasgow either.

Where does Ian Wood get all these estimates from anyway? As leader of the 'business empire' which deals only with operations and further downstream activities (i.e. absolutely nothing to do with reserve predictions), it certainly won't be from his years of engineering experience.

I can only presume it must be from input for his very recent report which seems to have made him an expert and the go-to-guy on absolutely everything oil related???

Where does Ian Wood get all these estimates from anyway? As leader of the 'business empire' which deals only with operations and further downstream activities (i.e. absolutely nothing to do with reserve predictions), it certainly won't be from his years of engineering experience.

I can only presume it must be from input for his very recent report which seems to have made him an expert and the go-to-guy on absolutely everything oil related???

^^Exactly.

I fully expect to see the Wood Group Exploration company formed soon to exploit this knowledge that Sir Ian has garnished from his reservior calculator.

I think its the "sir" bit

Yip he does,only one small problem somebody better tell bp that its running out in 35 years,last week they estimated the clair field to have at least 40years as a conservative estimate

TBF, that's one of the UK largest known fields (billion barrel ones are pretty rare). Although that may still be running, many of the small fry ones will be kapoot.

However... everything here is being judged by present EOR (enhanced oil recovery) techniques. This is constantly evolving to increase the recovery of various fields. Clair is actually a good example as an EOR field as although the reserves are huge, the oil is extremely heavy (viscous) and difficult to flow without adding chemicals to the reservoir.

On budget?

Depends when you decide the project actually started. Government claims it was on budget, but it comes down to which budget you recognise.

The final cost to the taxpayer is predicted to come in at around 10 Edinburgh trams (my new standard unit for any large public infrastructure project).

TBF, that's one of the UK largest known fields (billion barrel ones are pretty rare). Although that may still be running, many of the small fry ones will be kapoot.

However... everything here is being judged by present EOR (enhanced oil recovery) techniques. This is constantly evolving to increase the recovery of various fields. Clair is actually a good example as an EOR field as although the reserves are huge, the oil is extremely heavy (viscous) and difficult to flow without adding chemicals to the reservoir.

As long as we have huge reserves then we'll get it out at some point. I reckon that particular field will turn out to be absolutely massive.

Depends when you decide the project actually started. Government claims it was on budget, but it comes down to which budget you recognise.

The final cost to the taxpayer is predicted to come in at around 10 Edinburgh trams (my new standard unit for any large public infrastructure project).

Did the UK pay for our trams or does the money for infrastructure only flow one way ? Plus... We all know that Labour are useless wankers :)

O

I have to say Hedge you are one of the most sensible and informative posters on this forum when it comes to NS oil.

Archived