Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Wrong. It's anywhere between neck and neck and a 6 point gap (assuming 3% margin of error). Besides which the Yes/No split is a derivative sub-sample because it excludes Don't Knows. The industry standard 3% uncertainty applies to the whole sample, not the subset. Including Don't Knows, the gap is 5%, which as you are well aware is beyond the margin of error.

+/- 3% would make it anywhere between neck & neck and 12%

Surely the don't knows who are breaking at this stage could still break the other way again (both from no to yes and vice versa). If you've not formed an opinion until 10 weeks to go, on an issue that's been top story for fucking ages, it's fair to say you're not the most engaged or commited voter.

If either campaign performs particularly strongly (or badly) in the remaining weeks, there seems to a shitload of people that could be won over. I think that campaign could be the Yes side but my concern is the polling strength of the staunch unionists. Yes could have a strong final few months but they'd have to win an incredible percentage of the soft voters, and I can't see that happening.

My undestanding of the different polls have seen is that DKs are breaking more to No - that might change but I doubt it. I still stand by my 57-43 margin prediction.

Just caught up with the This Week programme. Andrew Neil asked all the guests what they thought the outcome of the referendum would be?

Abbot and Portillo were sitting on the fence with a "too close to call" reply. Kennedy said it would be a No win but only just.

Strangest reply was from Hosie who said Yes would win by a bigger majority than what many believed. Which I thought was strange and something he didn't really need to say.

He could have made a similar comment to Kennedy and changed it to Yes winning narrowly, but he didn't.

Over confident or does he know something?

Edited by Colkitto

Just caught up with the This Week programme. Andrew Neil asked all the guests what they thought the outcome of the referendum would be?

Abbot and Portillo were sitting on the fence with a "too close to call" reply. Kennedy said it would be a No win but only just.

Strangest reply was from Hosie who said Yes would win by a bigger majority than what many believed. Which I thought was strange and something he didn't really need to say.

He could have made a similar comment to Kennedy and changed it to Yes winning narrowly, but he didn't.

Mood music or delusion.

At the end of his documentary on Alex Salmond during the last election Portillo speculated on whether Salmond could deliver a YES vote despite the odds.

I think Portillo suspected then that Salmond would succeed.

Although he couldn't say it last night, I got the impression that he thinks a YES is now more than likely.

I was very surprised and reassured by Hosie's answer, it didn't even come across as overconfident or arrogant.

I *do* pay for my shopping, champ. My parents don't stop eating just because I've left home and have an independent income.

Well you're not very fcuking good at it if you think getting ripped off at Sainsbury's for routine stuff entitles you to criticise your parents.