Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

So you are basing your claim on one result. That seems an entirely suitable way to look at facts.

Err, no, I'm not.

"At the 2001 election, when those methods were used (in prototype form, being only partially developed at that stage) for the first time by the BBC, the size of the Labour majority was predicted at 10pm on polling day with an error of just 6 seats; and at the 2005 and 2010 elections the number of seats for the largest party was predicted with no error at all!"

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic-research/firth/exit-poll-explainer/

Assuming there is Exit polling of course (there was no official EP in the AV Referendum or the last Scottish elections) we will know the end result to within fractions of a percent.

Err, no, I'm not.

"At the 2001 election, when those methods were used (in prototype form, being only partially developed at that stage) for the first time by the BBC, the size of the Labour majority was predicted at 10pm on polling day with an error of just 6 seats; and at the 2005 and 2010 elections the number of seats for the largest party was predicted with no error at all!"

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic-research/firth/exit-poll-explainer/

Yet I have given more recent examples of them not being extremely accurate.

You seem to set yourself up as the 'king of pedantry', but you really don't like it when others do it to you. Still I am sure you will continue to dig away at this.

Yet I have given more recent examples of them not being extremely accurate.

Yes, from jurisdictions which are not the UK and are therefore completely irrelevant.

Still, good to see you keep drinking from the well of fail on this.

Yes, from jurisdictions which are not the UK and are therefore completely irrelevant.

Ah, right, so when you said "extremely accurate" you really meant "extremely accurate but only within the specific restrictions I have failed to mention"? Good, good, so long as we are clear on this.

Still, good to see you keep drinking from the well of fail on this.

Nothing but subjective nonsense to try and deflect from the facts of the matter. Do keep it up. May I suggest, "you are seething", as your next churlish retort?

Edited by Casual Bystander

If a poll showing YES was winning 80/20 appeared I still wouldnt be confident, total one off with a huge turn out, uncallable.

I don't think it's uncallable but I do think that the polls could have a wider margin of error, or the potential to be a bit more out than you'd expect in a 'normal' election.

John Rentoul asked on Twitter the other day what happens if it's a dead heat :lol:

Taps aff square go between Big Eck and 'call me Dave' Cameron.

This could be a P&B sponsored event held at Ruel Street.

Sans Maws. :(

John Rentoul asked on Twitter the other day what happens if it's a dead heat :lol:

I had originally thought they would toss a coin like in other elections but in actual fact Yes needs 50% + 1 to win so the status quo would be observed in the event of a dead heat.