Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

Of course, yeah. It's of course hearsay on my part to suggest it was a controlled landing or how much time the pilot had to react to the circumstances, especially given that Gordon Smart alluded that it was in a spin upon crashing.

Point being though is that if it was utterly out of control, it would have barreled straight through the bar...it wouldn't have come to rest on the roof before going through it as some (admittedly probably half scooped) pub goers have said, unless it was a sheer million to one shot.

Either way, it's a fucking horrific tragedy that seems to have been minimised by either luck, pilot skill or a combination of both.

I either heard or read earlier that these aircraft have a fail safe when the rotors kick in to lift the craft when it is close to the ground to minimise impact. This might be the whooshing noise that Grace heard and may have been the difference between it barrelling through the roof and just dunting it before falling through.

The police aren't going to say anything until the bodies are recovered. It would be callous to officially announce the deaths when there are people still working to free the bodies. I think the police are trying to clear the scene and I wouldn't be surprised if it was an police officer responsible for the "fucking vulture" comment earlier

The police aren't going to say anything until the bodies are recovered. It would be callous to officially announce the deaths when there are people still working to free the bodies. I think the police are trying to clear the scene and I wouldn't be surprised if it was an police officer responsible for the "fucking vulture" comment earlier

I said this to the missus as well. He seems to be standing right next to them and it was a fairly loud outburst.

I either heard or read earlier that these aircraft have a fail safe when the rotors kick in to lift the craft when it is close to the ground to minimise impact. This might be the whooshing noise that Grace heard and may have been the difference between it barrelling through the roof and just dunting it before falling through.

No they don't.

No they don't.

Even if they did have such a thing, the helicopter was apparently tumbling out of control so doubt something like that would come in to play anyway.

Strange that if the helicopter was dropping like a stone as Gordon Smart described that it didn't just trash the whole pub though.

Howling journalism from STV.

STV News understands three people have died on board the police helicopter that crashed in Glasgow tonight.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/250930-helicopter-crashes-into-roof-of-bar-in-glasgow-city-centre/

The direct link to this tweet says "It is not known how many people were on board the helicopter when it came down or what their fate was. "

I didn't suggest it was autorotating - if there was still power then the main rotor would still have been rotating and therefore generating a certain amount of lift - my main point was that without the tail rotor then the pilot had no directional control.

One of the problems of tail rotor failure is that it would cause the a/c to spin and this would cause issues with supply air to the engine which would account for the "popping" sounds that a witness described. This would affect any input to the coupling gearbox and therefore lift. We're sitting in the hangar up here in Aberdeen trying to think of the last time that a Fenestron failed, we're thinking it could have come from the tail takeoff. You are correct about the tail rotor and what reduced directional torque would do to the directional control.

If they're raising a screen, I presume that confirms fatalities and obviously don't want people to see the bodies being helped into an ambulance. Wee fannies hanging about on BBC news just laughing and trying to cause bother FS.