FAO Caley Fans.. 'Yogi' Hughes

I bumped into Duncan Shearer in the stand at half-time on Tuesday night and ventured to suggest to him, that he should really be down there in the dugout/technical area. A simple nod of the head and a smile spoke volumes for me.

Duncan did all right in the few games he had in charge after Butcher left. I certainly wouldn't complain if he took charge again. If the club was to promote from within it could save them some cash and might make the sacking of Hughes affordable.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not looking for an argument in here as I'm biased - what do Inverness fans see as being acceptable next season? Top six? Comfortably staying up? Any sort of survival?

If Hughes is our manager for the entire season then I'd be pleased to stay up.

Hughes took over us when we were second in the league and that obviously wasn't going to be sustainable but we are demonstrably worse than when he came in. We now string four central midfielders across the park, keep possession, keep possession, keep possesion without going anywhere, knock the ball long to Mckay who does nothing with it because he's isolated and start again. Every so often we put ourselves under huge pressure and make mistakes, giving away stupid goals - see the United cup game for examples of that.

I don't expect us to storm the league or finish top six every season but it's the waste of this team that is frustrating. If Butcher had stayed I truly think we'd have won the league cup and would be looking at trying to get a European spot. As it is, our seasons over and all that's left is trying to avoid a shoeing in the derby tonight.

Apparently Hughes wants us to play like Barcelona.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26877820

You just have to keep believing. It is my ideas and my philosophy. I am not going to ask them to train one way and play another.

I took them into a classroom this morning and read the two football bibles - for the moment for me - it's the Barcelona book and Pep Guardiola's book.

Going on the tactics board, taking the tactics board on to the training pitch.

If you've not got a structure or philosophy, the game becomes individuals and if you've got a team of individuals then you'll never win a football match

This is just a nightmare for me, the worst thing in football is when managers talk like this. He took over a team that was flying and now he wants to educate us into playing like Barca when we are actually playing like Elgin? Doesn't he think that looking at what made this group of players so successful prior to his arrival might be a better way to proceed?

When teams go on about playing the right way or having the correct philosophy then you know they're losers. It reminds me of the guff that Alex Smith used to talk when he was County manager.

Somebody mentioned us and Sandy Clark in this thread. Any ICT fans who don't get this reference should read up on it, and then proceed to make sure you protest accordingly against Hughes, and then make sure you don't bring in such a horrendous replacement as we did

This is just a nightmare for me, the worst thing in football is when managers talk like this. He took over a team that was flying and now he wants to educate us into playing like Barca when we are actually playing like Elgin? Doesn't he think that looking at what made this group of players so successful prior to his arrival might be a better way to proceed?

When teams go on about playing the right way or having the correct philosophy then you know they're losers. It reminds me of the guff that Alex Smith used to talk when he was County manager.

Just wait till he gets his goalie school up and running :lol: The mans a complete buffoon and a terrible football manager. You've got Kevin Mcbride signing in the summer to look forward to so it's not all bad...

That would seem to be a sensible approach. But we're not in the game. Yogi's been around for decades so he must know far more than the fans.

I think it's a shame he's screwing up a good side with his philosophies.

He's a fucking embarrassment.

"We're not playing against Real Madrid and Malaga" why Malaga? Rocket.

This final between Inter and Barca two seasons ago is completely made up by the way. He is referring to Inter and Bayern I assume but says Barca had all the possession and Inter scored from two long balls.

And also refers to the bunch eh good laddies Butcher left him.

Car crash stuff.

I like John Hughes actually.....remember him taking the entire Wheatfield Stand singing "Yogi's on the dole" with good humour back in '99. :P

Fcuking shocking football manager though.

I like John Hughes actually.....remember him taking the entire Wheatfield Stand singing "Yogi's on the dole" with good humour back in '99. :P

Fcuking shocking football manager though.

Despite being a dirty Falkirk b*****d, Hughes has always come across as a really sound guy.

As you say though he is a rank manager who talks pish.

He's a fucking embarrassment.

"We're not playing against Real Madrid and Malaga" why Malaga? Rocket.

This final between Inter and Barca two seasons ago is completely made up by the way. He is referring to Inter and Bayern I assume but says Barca had all the possession and Inter scored from two long balls.

And also refers to the bunch eh good laddies Butcher left him.

Car crash stuff.

Of course, the people he's speaking to could pull him up on this kind of shite. But they don't.

So we change from playing four across the middle to a split midfield with wide attacking players and we play far better and actually create chances and score some goals?

Interesting.

Some interesting comments from Mckay in the Press and Journal today. Sounds like a plea to retain wingers in the side to give him chances.

"Having Watkins and Doran in was a big help as they gave us good width and both of them played really well tonight. They helped me focus on my own game of getting into the box."

A much improved performance last night and hopefully one that makes Hughes realise just what the strengths of this team are. Clue - it's not what he's been trying to do to the team recently.

Archived