FAO Caley Fans.. 'Yogi' Hughes

Could not believe his tactics in the Final,Christ it was a Final just go for it,(hit on break :thumbsdown ) It was Aberdeen nae chelsea you were playing.

Nearly worked i suppose, but in hindsight would have made for a better Final .

I don't see what he was meant to do. He went for it at home to United in the cup and got their arses handed to them. What is wrong with hitting teams on the break? Worked a treat for Aberdeen in the semi against the Saintees and thats another reason why ICT couldn't go all out attack.

I'd say it paid off. Aberdeen were heavy favourites and ICT took them all the way. Penalty shoot outs are always a lottery but i'm sure ICT fans would have begrudgingly accepted that before the game.

Sure Pawlett was injured pre match and Hayes went off after 2 minutes but i'm sure ICT will have been working hard on their game plan for a few days . Should Yogi have risked it and said sod the game plan after 3 minutes because Aberdeen lost 2 key players?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see what he was meant to do. He went for it at home to United in the cup and got their arses handed to them. What is wrong with hitting teams on the break? Worked a treat for Aberdeen in the semi against the Saintees and thats another reason why ICT couldn't go all out attack.

Aye cos that was the reason they were 0-3 down at half time in that game and not because of two defensive blunders and giving away a penalty.

I'd say it paid off. Aberdeen were heavy favourites and ICT took them all the way. Penalty shoot outs are always a lottery but i'm sure ICT fans would have begrudgingly accepted that before the game.

It only got them to penalites because Aberdeen played pretty poorly and with no imagination as well as taking no risks themselves. Even then they had a great chance to win it and also hit the post. Once ICT saw how Aberdeen were playing they should have realised that the final was theirs to win. That they continued to sit back against such poor opposition must have had many ICT fans raging.

And whilst most ICT fans probably would have been happy enough to accept getting to a shootout if you offered them that before the game, they are not 'lotteries'. They are a test of nerve and basic skill. If you practice them, you'll be good at them.

Feel sorry for ICT. Decent club who are now managed by a fucking idiot. Suspect they will get 'asset stripped' in the summer as well, by Butcher and maybe others. McKay will be off for one .....

Yep, that's why most of our first team signed contracts recently for??. Why would Butcher or anyone else spend money and end up playing hard ball with us when they can find their own wee gems in the English lower leagues which they can pick up for next to nothing and with no hastle, that's what having a decent scouting system is for, plus in recent years cash transfers between teams in the Premiership/SPL are increasingly a rarity.

I think all the players will last longer than John Hughes at this rate since most are signed up for next season. I can't see him being our manager for next season if this carries on.

Something else, we have an excellent player and an attacking option in Nick Ross (who does carry a goal scoring threat and is our penalty taker) who has still to sign a contract for next season and since Hughes came in he has spent more time on the bench. Looks like he can't be guaranteed a start any more which can't be encouraging for him to sign up.

So far so classic Hughes. Nice passes along the back of defence before eventually launching a hopeful ball forward in the general direction of the striker. It's becoming very hard to watch. To be fair on Sunday a lot of players had been playing a lot recently but with Aberdeen missing two of their most dangerous players it was still disheartening to see us create so little.

Sad to say I agree with this exactly- we've now got 10 more games of stasis till Hughes can bring in his own players as the current crop do not fit in with Yogi's ways of playing.

I don't have much faith in him to be honest- there is such a disconnect between defence and going forward that Shinnie cant fill by himself. Sunday was so disheartening and it wont be the last time under Hughes that we will be feeling like that after leaving a game

Sad to say I agree with this exactly- we've now got 10 more games of stasis till Hughes can bring in his own players as the current crop do not fit in with Yogi's ways of playing.

I don't have much faith in him to be honest- there is such a disconnect between defence and going forward that Shinnie cant fill by himself. Sunday was so disheartening and it wont be the last time under Hughes that we will be feeling like that after leaving a game

Shinnie has really impressed me these last few months, really stood out. Not sure if it's thanks to Hughes tactics that he has no option but to fulfil the role, but he has looked a one-man army at times. Great all-round player for that position, and seems to have a really good attitude.

Never been a fan of Hughes, one of those managers who only seems to know one way of setting a team up, and once he gets all his own players to fit that system the team loses any unpredictability they may have previously had.

Still, with the good squad you's have got, and the contracts they are on, it's not all bad. Just need to get Hughes to f**k... assuming he doesn't prove everyone wrong and turn it around. (All we need to do is start getting our better players on contracts that last longer than milk on a radiator)

Going by Wednesday evening alone, John Hughes didn't impress me at all. Stuart McCall made a tactical switch after an initial period of Caley Thistle domination and he couldn't respond. Bill McKay was isolated all too frequently and Richie Foran seemed like a fish out of water playing so deep (are his legs starting to go?). The heat will be on JH once he has to start sourcing his own players. For all their possession on Wednesday Caley Thistle rarely caused us real trouble and in the second half we were quite content to let them dash themselves ineffectively on our defensive wall. We were happy to let them see the whites of Gunnar's eyes safe in the knowledge that they had no cutting edge.

A bit puzzled by the BBC Sportsound coverage post match, as were many Well fans, praising JH to the hilt, and saying at length how unlucky his team were and how well they played. If ICT fans swallow that tosh then they'll swallow anything.

The odd thing is that he has taken a winning team assembled by Butcher who had a style of play that saw them have their best ever start to a season, creating chances and scoring goals and he's managed to make them worse.

He won't have much scope to bring in his own players given that every first teamer is signed up for next season and there won't be a big budget to allow him to bring in his own players to sit around on the bench. He'll likely need to find a way to shuffle the current pack into playing his style of football which, based on events so far, has not been very successful.

I left parkred thinking 'Aberdeen were there for the taking'.

This Aberdeen side is now being hailed in some quarters as the greatest since their heyday in the 1980s.

Aberdeen were piss poor on Sunday - they might have been better if Hayes hadn't got injured - but you are right, they were there for the taking.

Unfortunately on the day, we were worse than they were.

This Aberdeen side is now being hailed in some quarters as the greatest since their heyday in the 1980s.

Aberdeen were piss poor on Sunday - they might have been better if Hayes hadn't got injured - but you are right, they were there for the taking.

Unfortunately on the day, we were worse than they were.

That's precisely how I saw it. And yet some are using the 0-0 scoreline to justify Yogi "John" Hughes' tactical set-up.

It's like a rerun of the '09 cup final.

Big team massively underperforms, Hughes' team fails to seize the initiative and defeat and regrets ensue.

By Christ that Rangers team were horrendous. We should have annihilated them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived