The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

Is there international laws regarding maritime lines and distance to another countries coast. In an international court where can the UK legally put this line ?

We've covered this.

Any new borders should be negotiated by the countries themselves in the first instance. Should such negotiations fail to reach a conclusion both are happy with, they can refer it to arbitration, either with ITLOS, or the ICJ or even a separate arbitration process if they prefer.

The tribunal or court will determine where the line should be. The overriding principle is equity. The conclusion from the tribunal may be one neither party is happy with.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the same way that Germany had to when it unified. Which had no impact on its status as a member.

Never said it did. I'd be surprised if nobody thought that wasn't a good opportunity for some forceful negotiations though.

Scotland will of course have to apply as a new member and negotiate terms as the likes of Croatia et al did.

Of course we'll have to negotiate our terms, just as much as rUK will, but it won't be anything like Croatia et al.

It's like watching a Punch n Judy show on these threads, perhaps you and Reynard could up your game a bit instead of this continual need to be tedious drivel merchants, your parents should have given you more time in your developing years.

As Reynard says, i recognise the disappointment that the Nat circle jerk is interrupted with some facts that unfortunately contradict the line the SNP feeds you and unthinking happy clappers like yourself swallow gladly.

In the same way that Germany had to when it unified. Which had no impact on its status as a member.

Scotland will of course have to apply as a new member and negotiate terms as the likes of Croatia et al did.

The problem.is all the scaremongering about Scotland and negotiating. No one mentions the fact that the UK will be significantly reduced.in power and.influence hence why they are desperate to keep us. The UK has lots to lose, I still can't really see much to lose for Scotland IMO.

Fed up with people like you and Reynard talking us down all the time. For our size we are a better country than the UK in almost every department and that's with still having to fend of London centred policies.

Release the shackles and we will naturally be better still.

In 30 years time I'm more than confident that Scotland will be sitting back laughing at the UK and there very outdated systems.

We will be a modern energy rich country who will look after ourselves.

As Reynard says, i recognise the disappointment that the Nat circle jerk is interrupted with some facts that unfortunately contradict the line the SNP feeds you and unthinking happy clappers like yourself swallow gladly.

Given your performance on here it's safe to say that you are the unthinking one, I prefer to dissect what I see and hear, that's why you stick to the headline figures for polls and I actually look at what they're saying.

The problem.is all the scaremongering about Scotland and negotiating. No one mentions the fact that the UK will be significantly reduced.in power and.influence hence why they are desperate to keep us. The UK has lots to lose, I still can't really see much to lose for Scotland IMO.

It won't be "significantly" reduced in power and influence. It's less than 10% of the population it would be losing.

Given your performance on here it's safe to say that you are the unthinking one, I prefer to dissect what I see and hear, that's why you stick to the headline figures for polls and I actually look at what they're saying.

Right. So what are the polls that have Yes taking an absolute pasting "saying" other than "Yes are getting an absolute pasting"?

Right. So what are the polls that have Yes taking an absolute pasting "saying" other than "Yes are getting an absolute pasting"?

Your meaning of a pasting is obviously different from mine.

It won't be "significantly" reduced in power and influence. It's less than 10% of the population it would be losing.

They will.be reduced in power and influence hence why they are bricking it.

10% isnt exactly small. And the total oil industry including income tax and all the jobs and stuff is huge.

They lose 5 and a half million people who are well educated and also lose the revenue of the Uks biggest industry which is oil and gas.

I'll repeat.... They are absolutely bricking it.

...and a 10% reduction in the overall economy, which would be a bit of a disaster at any other time.

Except that ignores that it will mean a reduction in costs also.

Can I just clarify, going back to this earlier point, are you happier to live in ignorance, and believe what the SNP have told you, rather than know the facts, which contradict the lies the SNP have told you?

You seem to be like one of those Born Again Christian types. A new convert to the Church of Yes that doesn't want to hear anything that reduces their faith in their new masters.

Can I just clarify, going back to this earlier point, are you happier to live in ignorance, and believe what the SNP have told you, rather than know the facts, which contradict the lies the SNP have told you?

You seem to be like one of those Born Again Christian types. A new convert to the Church of Yes that doesn't want to hear anything that reduces their faith in their new masters.

Why don't you.list all.the lies from the YES side then I'll list all the blatant lies from the No side ?

Why don't you.list all.the lies from the YES side then I'll list all the blatant lies from the No side ?

I have no idea what all of the lies have been in total from both sides.

But perhaps you can tell me why the NCC doesn't like the SNP's lies being pointed out? Aren't you actually glad to know the truth, rather than the lies you have been told by the SNP?

1) Yes - are you suggesting that all negotiations will take place consecutively?

2) He states his opinion - it is only that. He has no idea how the negotiations would proceed. They are way beyond his pay grade.

1) I am certainly not suggesting, as you seem to be, that they will all be reliant upon each other.

2) I would suggest that as one of the very few people in the world who is qualified to comment on such matters his opinion carries much weight.Or are you now suggesting that +to use a similiar example) James Crawford is speaking above his paygrade and his opinion carries no weight?

It would appear that, startlingly, you seem.to.be suggesting that the expert opinion you produce is utterly valid and the final word on such mattters, but the world expert I produce is "speaking beyind his paygrade".

You can no longer squirm out of this with this type of double standard.

You seem to be confused between what matters he is an expert in and what matters he is not.

He is a legal expert. His views on state succession are absolutely to be listened to. He isn't a politician. He has no idea how negotiations would go post secession.

He is the expert you produced. Surely part of his expertise on Independence would include a working understanding of exactly how negotiations would go as this is an integral part of independence......if not, then he cant be much of an.expert.

You only want his opinion to be valid when.ir agrees with yours.

Archived