The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. If Osbourne makes that announcement, he will look a bigger fool than he already is, and thats going some. My opinion is short term currency union, followed by establishing our own currency. Currently if we got independent, currency union suits both, and we all know it, this scaremongering from Westminster, is cringeworthy, and an insult to our intelligence.

blah, blah, blah.

Read Wings much? Thought so.

I'm not expecting much.

I think you're expecting loads if you think they might not be morally bankrupt, as someone who's been morally bankrupt, I can assure you that they are morally bankrupt.

Exactly. If Osbourne makes that announcement, he will look a bigger fool than he already is, and thats going some. My opinion is short term currency union, followed by establishing our own currency. Currently if we got independent, currency union suits both, and we all know it, this scaremongering from Westminster, is cringeworthy, and an insult to our intelligence.

At least we can tell them to keep their debt.

Read the story and work it out. Unless you think UKIP will be in power next term?

It doesn't matter who is likely to win the next GE. The current government is not allowed to tie the hands of a future government, even if it is the same party that is currently in power. ffs this is pretty basic stuff

It doesn't matter who is likely to win the next GE. The current government is not allowed to tie the hands of a future government, even if it is the same party that is currently in power. ffs this is pretty basic stuff

You obviously haven't read or understood the full story. According to the exclusive, Ed Balls and Danny Alexander have agreed to take the same stance. Hence my comment about UKIP,

You obviously haven't read or understood the full story. According to the exclusive, Ed Balls and Danny Alexander have agreed to take the same stance. Hence my comment about UKIP,

you obviously don't know the difference between present and future.

Why are people linking currency union and debt?

Debt is linked to assets. If we want to keep any of them, we need to take on a portion of the debt.

Scotland has no legal obligation to repay any proportion of the debts run up by the UK. This has even been confirmed by Westminster.

Debt will be part of the negotiations and if the UK is already taking currency of the negotiating table then they are in a much weaker position on debt.

Why are people linking currency union and debt?

Debt is linked to assets. If we want to keep any of them, we need to take on a portion of the debt.

because the Scottish government see Sterling as an asset...Im sure you can work the rest out.

because the Scottish government see Sterling as an asset...Im sure you can work the rest out.

What they see and what is true are two different things.

Sterling isn't an asset, it's just a means of putting a value on things (broadly speaking).

What they see and what is true are two different things.

Sterling isn't an asset, it's just a means of putting a value on things (broadly speaking).

you asked why people are linking currency and debt....that was why.

Scotland has no legal obligation to repay any proportion of the debts run up by the UK. This has even been confirmed by Westminster.

Debt will be part of the negotiations and if the UK is already taking currency of the negotiating table then they are in a much weaker position on debt.

You're right, an independent Scotland doesn't have a legal obligation to pay back the debts. But if they don't, they don't get any assets.

You're right, an independent Scotland doesn't have a legal obligation to pay back the debts. But if they don't, they don't get any assets.

I'm sure we will still take on debt but the value of that debt will have been MASSIVELY reduced by the stupidity of the Westminster elite.

Debt and Assets aren't the only things on the negotiating table.

I've yet to hear anyone from NO state that we'll get any assets.

Archived