The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

Who would have thought that David McCallum would have appeared this morning?

What will happen when the Scottish people really get pissed off with rUK and their prospective leaders?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hasn't said anything yet. I don't see how you can extrapolate any of that anyway, Yes Scotland spends a couple of weeks railing against bully tactics, old entonians and class war, then come out and peg a pseudo pound to Sterling and threaten to play hardball on the national debt.

Something to cling tightly to for 24 hours I suppose.

He hasn't said anything yet. I don't see how you can extrapolate any of that anyway, Yes Scotland spends a couple of weeks railing against bully tactics, old entonians and class war, then come out and peg a pseudo pound to Sterling and threaten to play hardball on the national debt.

So the Nats move from the Euro, to the Pound, to the "pseudo" Pound :1eye It's fag packet economics.

Who would have thought that David McCallum would have appeared this morning?

What will happen when the Scottish people really get pissed off with rUK and their prospective leaders?

What if the Scottish people get pissed off with their prospective separatist leaders and their constant assertion based drivel?

He doesn't have to do any of that.

Don't you understand? This one announcement ends the debate for another generation. Osborne has just guaranteed there will be no break-up of the UK.

All that's left is to watch the twitching death spasms of the Nationalist corpse.

Strange this has killed the nationalists stone dead. You would have thought he would have said this years ago.... :rolleyes:

So the Nats move from the Euro, to the Pound, to the "pseudo" Pound :1eye It's fag packet economics.

It's desperate stuff actually. If they had held a line it might have been credible but whoever has been advising them has been ripping the piss.

The statement form a few years back when they were Euro enthusiasts about the pound being a millstone around their neck has actually come true. Who would have thought theyd have placed it there themselves though?

What if the Scottish people get pissed off with their prospective separatist leaders and their constant assertion based drivel?

The Scottish people will definitely decide what currency we use after a YES vote, I will be rallying hard for a Scottish currency now, rUK can lie in their own pish.

Strange this has killed the nationalists stone dead. You would have thought he would have said this years ago.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the mood music from everyone bar the NCC has been so soothing on the subject hasn't it? Especially if youre tone deaf.

That should ensure our interest rates end up Wonga style. The UK has already promised to stand by the entire debt in its entirety anyway. That was made clear a few weeks ago.

If you could point out to me a country that has ever recovered the scale of debt that the UK has right now without going into a recession or collapse, that would be just cracking.

The Scottish people will definitely decide what currency we use after a YES vote, I will be rallying hard for a Scottish currency now, rUK can lie in their own pish.

This should have been done a long time ago. It just looks ridiculous now to have to change tack because they promised something they couldn't ever deliver.

It's difficult at this stage to determine what this impending announcement from George will do to the outcome in the longer term.

No are getting very excited and now have the champers on ice.

People who are already in the Yes camp are extremely unlikely to all of a sudden switch sides because of this.

It will indeed put the shits up some of the DK's and prompt them to shuffle over to the No camp.

But on the other hand, some Scots hate being told what they can and cannot do, especially by upper class London toffs. So other DK's may just say 'f**k yi' and become more of a soft/lukewarm Yes.

Let Reynard enjoy this though, we've hardly heard a peep from him in weeks :lol:

This should have been done a long time ago. It just looks ridiculous now to have to change tack because they promised something they couldn't ever deliver.

It doesn't matter what it looks like, rUK telling us what we can and can't do doesn't play well with Scottish people, what are they going to do when the polls keep shifting to YES?

Could someone explain to me how Scotland would take no share of the current national debt if the treasury doesn't agree to a currency union?

No doubt someone will correct me but as a new state, i.e. not a continuing or successor state to the UK, there is no legal requirement to take on the debt of the original state (or successor state). Salmond has repeatedly said Scotland would take it's fair share (i.e per head: 8% of the population = 8% of the debt) but they don't tehcnically have to, and might be persuaded to be more intransigent on the basis of any outright rejection of a currency union.

If you could point out to me a country that has ever recovered the scale of debt that the UK has right now without going into a recession or collapse, that would be just cracking.

Many countries have "recovered" from debt to GDP ratios at a far higher level. The UK has low interest rates because it can afford to make the repayments.

It doesn't matter what it looks like, rUK telling us what we can and can't do doesn't play well with Scottish people, what are they going to do when the polls keep shifting to YES?

So you keep saying. It was never a decision for the SNP to make though. It was simply an assertion that people, incluiding the governor of the BoE said would be a political decision based on negotiation and would mean a loss of sovereignty for both countries. That seemed to be what the SNP were willing to cede but the UK has never been keen on this. The situation with the Euro being a prime example.

The polls arent budging. Going into separation without a proper currency plan isnt going to encourage them to shift to yes either.

Archived