The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

Whoever wants the successor status, and all the good stuff that goes with that (exisitng EU membership, UN membership, UNSC...)

It would be England, as the largest state post secession of all constituent parts.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when does the game start?

For me, June onwards.

I think this is correct, but how do the Yes side sell it? Sturgeon can't seriously just say "he's bluffing" for months on end.

I've no idea what the YES stance will be.

Why june onwards? I think the offical short campiagn (in terms of legal limits and spending) starts in March/april...but why didn't the Edinburgh Agreement or the White Paper signal the start for you?

That's far too early to play your jokers, anything we've witnessed up to now is nothing.

No, joining the Euro was Plan A.

Currency Union was Plan B

That's gone, so what's Plan C?

I'm certainly not bothered if Osborne says what everyone thinks he will, I've no doubt this and many other spanners have been expected at some point in the game, we'll see what happens over the net few months.

That's far too early to play your jokers, anything we've witnessed up to now is nothing.

The White Paper and the EA were nothing? if you listen to H_B he says the EA started and finsihed the whole thing, the White Paper, meanwhile, was supposed to eb the game changer.

What "jokers" or "Aces" do Yes have left?

The White Paper and the EA were nothing? if you listen to H_B he says the EA started and finsihed the whole thing, the White Paper, meanwhile, was supposed to eb the game changer.

What "jokers" or "Aces" do Yes have left?

How would I know, they're certainly not going to tell anyone, that would be stupid.

Perhaps YES are higher than the polls suggest, mibbee that's why NO are playing this early.

I'm asking your opinion, not for secret gossip. If you were a Yes startegist, what furtehr cards would you ahev to play, when and why?

As I want YES to win, I wouldn't put any of my cards on the table, why would I give anyone a heads up?

In what sense is the Euro 'gone' as a plan? Did it collapse a few years ago as Reynard was confidently predicting?

It's simply a case of the independent Scottish government selecting which option best suits their sovereign interests and economic needs. None of which, incidentally, are terrible options, and none are off the table.

Exactly - suddenly now providing clarity is actually "bullying and intimidation".

So the same stick being used to beat Osborne and co with - "why won't they come straight out and SAY IT" has now been replaced with "HOw dare they come out and SAY THIS".

They still haven't said anything yet, as far as I know.

Riiiiight.

So, the reason that independent polling shows Yes being beat down is because.......?

They'll speak to far more people on the ground than any pollster.

They'd need to conduct a referendum on that to adopt it. Which would have a cat in hell's chance of passing.

Need to? Can we get a concise Law School explanation as to why they'd 'need to' do any such thing?

That's before we deal with your Reynard-esque political punditry about a hypothetical referendum, in the hypothetical event of rUK shooting itself in the face to spite independent Scotland. Under those circumstances, there is little reason to assume the significantly more open and pro-European Scottish electorate would vote No.

Happy with this. Wasn't all that convinced with a currency union anyway although I do think it will still happen. Hopefully the SG get plan b up and running quickly so they can come back to the negotiating table having called Gideon's bluff. Wish they wouldn't use the term bullying though, so embarrassing

The whole currency union thing never sat well with me. Hopefully George is seen as telling Scotland 'no' and 'vote yes and we'll f**k you up'. We can then move to the Pound Scots, maybe after a year or two of unilaterally using the Pound if necessary, and kiss goodbye to all the 'BUT IT'S NOT REAL INDEPENDENCE!!11!!!1" stuff.

As I want YES to win, I wouldn't put any of my cards on the table, why would I give anyone a heads up?

Erm, I;m not sure you;re follwioig me - this is just joshing about, I;m not trying to get an insight into Yes Scotland's super secret campaign startegy. Just a hypothetical.

Archived