The All-New 2014 Season MLB Thread

Savage Henry

What's everyone's thoughts so far? I've backed Nats (16/1), Brewers (66/1) and Giants (33/1) Ante Post so I'm happy so far. When the Nats get Zimmerman and Harper back and Ramos and Fister settle back in the will be strong.

I also wouldn't discard the Rays at 33/1 as Cobb and Moore are due back shortly.

Tell you what, you'll get some excellent odds on the Dodgers. They're only playing .500 so bookies in this country (who are mugs re: baseball) will lengthen them considerably. Form is meaningless until well after the All Star Break. Hence your Giants and Brewers picks, which look excellent right now, could look totally daft in three months. Always back teams who pitch well. Giants, Cards, Dodgers in the NL, for example.

Does Moore not have a throwing arm issue? That's always a massive red flag for me when looking at teams going forward.

All that said, the Giants are 6-2 against the Dodgers this season, and something like 22-13 on the year. Very nice.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True but the numbers their rotation have produced so far are terrible. I think Hellickson is back soon too and Price and Archer will surely improve. Two of their better hitters (Zobrist and Longoria) are performing below their norms.

I just thought the 66/1 about the Brewers was a ridiculous price as I didn't fancy the Pirates and Reds. Cardinals are top 3 overall for me and WILL improve a lot.

The Giants have won apt of close games which is always worth noting. Bumgarner looked good last night and Hudson is playing well. Cain needs to improve and Lincecum hasn't bounced back like if hoped.

Dodgers are still 7/1 which is unbackable for me. Like you say though nothing is won in May.

Recorded Mets-Yankees last night, started watching it and my Sky only recorded up to the 4th innings! :(

Met and Yankees both on 19-19 now with the two CitiField games of the Subway Series to come tonight and tomorrow. Might just stay up this time. Not trusting my Sky.

Recorded Mets-Yankees last night, started watching it and my Sky only recorded up to the 4th innings! :(

Met and Yankees both on 19-19 now with the two CitiField games of the Subway Series to come tonight and tomorrow. Might just stay up this time. Not trusting my Sky.

Always record the programs after too. It will only record up until the end of the scheduled program, I went to bed at 2.40 am and that was the top of the 5th.
Really need to get Sky+.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue jays having one of their best seasons in recent history. Just watched them spank Kansas City 4-0. Mark beuhrle is now the first pitcher to reach 10 wins in the mlb. Was a great day out :D

Does anyone on here play, or has played baseball before in Britain. Just wondered what the standard would be like and if it's easy to get into for a total beginner, who's shite at cricket may I add.

The Phillies are absolutely painful to watch at the moment. A scandalous waste of money.

The Mets, who have just lost two in a row to the Cubs, took four of five from the Phillies.

I can't begin to fathom how bad they must be.

The Phillies are absolutely painful to watch at the moment. A scandalous waste of money.

It's been disappointing, that's for sure. As far as hitting goes, only Utley and Ruiz have contributed consistently which just isn't good enough. Guys like Marlon Byrd and Ryan Howard have done ok in spells but we need far more from these guys. Whenever you're trotting out junk like Brignac and guys like Hernandez & Gwynn who have looked totally lost at the plate, you need the big players to step up and that just hasn't happened.

That said, when your bullpen features the likes of Aumont, Rosenborg and Manship you really have no chance unless your starters go deep night after night.

I still haven't lost hope for this season, but we need a winning run very, very soon if we're to stand any chance of competing.

Another day, another defeat. I genuinely feel like there's a good chance both Amaro and Sandberg are gone by the end of the month

Could you really say this is a surprise though? The Phillies off-season had all the hallmarks of going through the motions. There's talk of the Phillies holding a fire sale again, but a fire sale of who? Dominic Brown? A couple of years ago, they had a fire sale. They traded Hunter Pence away for Nate Schierholtz and a catcher with a history of concussions. That didn't go so well...

... I'll never, for the life of me, be able to make sense of the Marlon Byrd move though.

ETA: Wow. You weren't kidding. The Phillies might be the worst team in baseball at the moment. Another loss, this time to the Reds.

Archived