Top 25 Film Directors

Albino Rover

The movie lists are back, and this time it's out of shot.

Most of you know the drill by now but here's a reminder of how it works:

• Send me a PM on here with your top 10 film directors of all time, in the correct order.
  • Don't send any more or less than 10. Top spot gets 10 points and bottom gets 1 and everything in between works the same way.
  • The title of your PM should tell me what's in it.
  • I've decided to give this until midnight on the 28th February. After that, the next time I log in I'll post on here to officially close voting, anything after that won't be counted.
  • Please, no tactical voting. Don't vote for something because you think everyone else will vote for it. If they're your favourite, vote for them.
  • It doesn't matter whether you're going the "best" or "favourite" route, vote however you see appropriate. I encourage you all to include reasons why you chose them- your favourite of their films or your favourite things about them. I'll be doing write-ups for each director and for that your input is important.
  • Make sure you number your nominees, number 1 being your favourite. If you send me a list and you don't make it clear what the scores are, then your vote won't be counted.

I think that clears everything up but if there are any queries or questions let me know.

THE LIST:

25. Darren Aronofsky

24. Sam Peckinpah

23. Wes Anderson

22. Bill Forsyth

21. James Cameron

20. Clint Eastwood

19. David Lynch

18. Orson Welles

17. David Lean

16. John Ford

15. Sergio Leone

14. Danny Boyle

13. Ridley Scott

12. Peter Jackson

11. Ken Loach

10. David Fincher

9. Christopher Nolan

8. Paul Thomas Anderson

7. Stanley Kubrick

6. Francis Ford Coppola

5. Joel & Ethan Coen

4. Alfred Hitchcock

3. Quentin Tarantino

2. Steven Spielberg

1. Martin Scorsese

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not wanting to be a backseat driver but perhaps want to think about extending it to 50 depending on nominations.

Hopefully this will get a better turnout than the scenes thread and 50 will be a possibility but I doubt I'll get any more than 30-35 with more than one nomination.

Just fired in my list there. That was difficult. If asked to do so again, I could probably name another separate 10. I'm relatively happy with the 10 I sent in, I also included 7 who I was not happy missed out on my list and whilst writing this post I just remembered two brilliant directors of horror I could have easily included.

List submitted. Ususal mix of nailed on top-three contenders and those who some might not be familiar with.

I always love the bottom end of these lists - that's where you find the selections that not everybody likes, but those that do like them fúcking love them.

Archived