Top 25 Film Directors

Albino Rover

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just whittled mine down to 15 now so a few desicions to make.

Bunged mine in on the first day, to avoid the whole "but what about..." thing. Took me most of the morning to get it down to ten, mind.

First reaction is probably the most accurate - for me, at any rate.

• 2 weeks later...

It's DEADLINE DAY!

There are still about 40 in serious contention for a place. One vote for a director could change things drastically for them, so keep the votes coming!

Looking at some of the posts, I fear some of my favourites, including my top pick, might not get a look in. But hey ho, that's democracy for you...

Thanks for all your lists; the deadline has passed, the votes have been counted and we have our...

Top 25 Film Directors

This list is just about as comprehensive a catalogue of the history of popular cinema in this country as 25 nominees can get. It's a collection of artistic and technical masters whose collective works include over 500 films, shorts and documentaries spanning 11 decades.

We’ve all heard films being described as “journeys”, and if that’s true, for every film you watch the director is your guide. It’s the job of the director to use their expertise to turn the words on the paper of the script into something visual that’s appealing, entertaining and hopefully accessible to a great number of people. The director is involved intimately and intensely in every stage of the game, from initial design to post-production editing and promotion. It's a lot of responsibility, but when they get it as right as these men have managed, it's more than worth it.

Directing a film is one of the hardest jobs in show business, and each of these 26 men has made it look simple.

The countdown will begin tonight.

Archived