doulikefish

Heading to Dubai in between the Malaysian and Bahrain grand prix.Ive been there before but i stayed close to the palm by the marina so dont really want to stay around there again

So basically anybody got any tips around the gold souk area?Worth it for the evenings entertainment etc?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

A relaunch of this...

Anyone with any good recommendations for hotels? I'd like to avoid taxis as much as possible, but would like to stay somewhere with plenty to do. Only going for five days, but a bar would be nice.

A relaunch of this...

Anyone with any good recommendations for hotels? I'd like to avoid taxis as much as possible, but would like to stay somewhere with plenty to do. Only going for five days, but a bar would be nice.

Taxis are quite cheap tbh, the metro/mono rail thingy is also quite good to get places.

The friday brunches are also good if you want to get tanked up one of the days.

Ive not been for a about 5 years but Im going again in April.

Cheers. Yeah, the "brunches" of Bahrain are pretty good fun if you want to write off a day!

Wheres a good one in Manama?Think ill be in town for the f1 again next year and will probably bin the friday at the track

Wheres a good one in Manama?Think ill be in town for the f1 again next year and will probably bin the friday at the track

Diplomat is the best one. 12-3 on the top floor of the hotel with some great views over the island. Then everyone heads down to the irish pub Fiddlers Green afterwards and get even more steaming. The music at the brunch and in the pub used to be by a Scottish band called the boxtones. Decent band and they get the crowd going in the pub. It's your usual mix of ex pats over from Saudi for the weekend, yanks, Arabs, and Matelots.

There's a few other places I've been to but I can't remember them off the top of my head. If I remember I'll let you know. I fucking love Bahrain. I'm a bit gutted I'm not in the navy any more as they've just announced that they are building a permanent base in Mina Salman for the MCMVs and other ships out there.

Lanterns in Adliyah, the Moevenpick (sp?) and the Dragon. I very rarely stray out of Adliyah; all the best places are there.

Really? Ive never been, in what way is it better?

They are totally different. Oman's all about the outdoors. If you're a hiker or a cyclist or a climber then Oman's great. It's not great if you are a city dweller or don't have access to a car.

Oman is much more chilled and untouched. We stayed in the shangri la in muscat. Absolutely incredible.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1418649315.042000.jpg

Slightly disingenuous photo; turn the camera around and you get the hustle and bustle of the cornishe. That said, I generally agree. If you are in any way attracted to the great outdoors, visit Oman. I'm coming round to your way of thinking actually....

I don't understand the attraction of Dubai. There are loads of sunny places with a drinking culture and where women wear very little, or with hundreds or thousands of years of history on every street. Sounds like a load of sky scrapers and shopping centres with scary laws.

P.S. I should point out I've never been, I'd be interested to know why people like it.

I've got to agree about Oman the place is brilliant. Muscat is a amazing place to visit. I've been to Salalah as well but never really ventured far as it was only a overnight stay. Plus in Muscat they have this excellent curry house

http://www.mumtazmahal.net

Plonk next door to the single most pretentious bar I have ever been to!

Plonk next door to the single most pretentious bar I have ever been to!

We had a look into that bar and gave it a wide berth. f**k knows the name of the pub/hotel we ended up drinking in that night.

We ended up going to the Grand Hyatt pool bar for a couple of all day sessions and then onto the Safari club afterwards.

I remember the first time I went to Muscat in 2006. We had a game of football organised against a team of ex pats at some football pitch which seemed to take forever to get to. IIRC I think we got pumped as they had a couple of young local lads who were quick as f**k and pretty skilful.

Archived