The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

Yes that's the plan. The back 10 rows or so of it are pish but the rest of it is ok. Newcastle up in the gods is pretty awful.

I quite like being up in Level 7 at St James' Park, but I get why it's not great for people not used to it. Anfield is the only time where I've ever had a seat where I couldn't see either goal.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

Yes that's the plan. The back 10 rows or so of it are pish but the rest of it is ok. Newcastle up in the gods is pretty awful.

I loved the view from up there when I went to St James'. It helped that it was a good game and atmosphere vs Middlesbrough, but I'd always rather have that view than down at pitchside.

Edited by Zetterlund

I quite like being up in Level 7 at St James' Park, but I get why it's not great for people not used to it. Anfield is the only time where I've ever had a seat where I couldn't see either goal.

That is bad that. Don't get me wrong it is pretty spectacular view from so high up - of the game and the city! The actions just so far away though you almost need a pair of binoculars to see what's happening at the far end. Atmosphere wise it's better having an away support closer to the pitch.

Anfield_CentenaryStand_01.png

By Christ that photo takes me back.

I hope this happens, far better than moving.

More car parking would be nice. :)

You need to get a mate in L4 with a big drive way ;)

Totally agree the stadium expansion is much better than a new build bowl. Surely it will be approved.

Looks like Liverpool's long term strategy of buying up local properties, running the immediate area down, lowering house prices with people moving from their family homes as a result has worked a treat. Those cheeky Scousers, eh. #JFTL4

Okay, I was tempted to make another thread on the following question but as it's related to this then I'll not bother. I pose this question to you all.

Are Scottish Football clubs not aiming high enough when it comes to planning/building new stadiums? I believe they aren't, and this is what I mean.

Aberdeen

Planned a stadium at Loirston Loch - capacity: 21,000

Pittodrie capacity: 21,421

Why did they plan a smaller ground? For a club that many consider to be Scotland's "3rd force" this isn't very ambitious is it? The city of Aberdeen is surely capable of more than this. They will be taking over 30,000 fans to the League cup final - why on earth are they not ambitious enough to plan a 30,000 capacity ground? They would be able to boost their crowds and hopefully success for the club would follow. I have no doubt in my mind that Aberdeen could have 20,000+ on a regular basis for home games. Brighton for example played at a 9000 capacity ground a couple of seasons ago, yet now they are playing in a 27,000 ground and regularly nearly sell out. Aberdeen has 64,000 more residents than Brighton. The lack of ambition is shocking really.

Aberdeen is the one that probably annoys me the most, but another example is Ayr United. They wanted to build a 7000 capacity ground (that's minus 3000 compared to Somerset), yet this season they have been over 8000 when playing Rangers and in the recent past been close to 10,000 against Killie. Again, why the lack of ambition?

Surely you aren't seriously wondering why crowds in Scotland are so low outwith Sevco and Celitc?!

How many buses leave Brighton to go and see Sevco and Celtic play? Worse, how many Brighton residents sit on their arse in the pub in a Sevco/Celtic top every weekend instead of going along to their local ground?

Also do Brighton charge £23 to see them play the likes of St Mirren (or even my team last time we were there; it was £17 for a concession).

And Brighton have a chance of winning the league they are in; Aberdeen will never have that chance unless Celtic (and Sevco eventually) f**k off. Even were Brighton to be promoted, they know they wouldn't come close to winning the league (they'd be doing well to avoid relegation) but they'd be seeing some rather good players, whereas at Aberdeen you get to see the likes of <insert shite players here (don't follow the Scottish Premiership since my team aren't in it so don't know who the donkeys are save for most of the Hibs team; Hibs :lol: )> and pay ridiculous sums for it.

See I think that's poor show though. If managed properly they could be seeing 20,000+ for home games. They would make money out of that.

It's even more depressing that a club like Aberdeen doesn't aim as high as this when teams, as we've just seen posted above, like Southend plan to build a 22,000 capacity stadium. Southend. League 2 Southend. What is going on.

I'm sure the board of Aberdeen have very lofty ambitions. Sadly they don't have the money for it. I know of a club that aimed high, bought loads of good players and still the crowds didn't increase much. They were paying these good players ludicrous sums they couldn't come close to affording. Eventually said club went in to administration, and now ply their trade in League 1. I shall be going to see said team at Arbroath on Saturday.

I seen on sky Scunthorpe are planning a new stadium. They were on of the first to move to a new one in the 80s. I wonder if any other new ones will be getting the bump soon.

I passed the Darlington Arena last week. It's now occupied by a wee local rugby team.

Bit of a tangent but found this thread on sportlogos.net very interesting

Looking at stadiums and arenas that have been adjusted to allow multi-discipline use

Some really screwed up solutions

Its very north american centric but worth a look

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/96506-all-purpose-stadium-thread/

Not common in Britain as all our field sports use rectangles, bar cricket, and very few grounds have had then discarded racetracks.

Crystal Palace host of FA Cup finals 1895-1914 had a very strange lay-out.

CrystalPalace1905.jpg

There was also a strange period in the existence of Firhill when one end still what looks like a curve for a racetrack yet the other end didn't have one.

firhillpast2.jpg

Bramall Lane in Sheffield was somewhat odd too when hosting football+cricket.

bramalllanepast2.jpg

post-1084-1235592483.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

Marseille's redevelopment is stunning, the roof just seems to reach to the heavens.

Saw a picture the other day, it looks great, although it does look bizarre having floodlight towers standing inside an enclosed stadium. They will of course be taken down soon enough, just look daft.

Cant post the image for some reason - http://www.info-stades.fr/forum/ressources/image/thumb/53938

http://architectureau.com/articles/stadio-della-roma/

See for the new Roma stadium, will players actually appear from a hydraulic lift instead of a tunnel, or was that just some imagery for the video release thingy? Surely that's too good to be true? I'm refusing to believe it for now, but it would be smart as f**k.

ETA: Apparently it's true. Yass. Would be a bit shite if it broke down whilst lifting the players up though.

Edited by Chupacabra