The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

In this country we tend to think of average attendance then add X on. They seem to take a different view. Creating atmosphere and demand.

To be fair it wasn't that long ago that Milan were averaging 60,000+, they're just shite now. Maybe they'll build it so it can be expanded in the future.

The increase in revenue for Juventus is one of the main reasons why they are so far ahead of the other clubs in Italy at the minute, they're the only club that actually owns their stadium. Thankfully things are starting to change and most teams realise that the ways things are now isn't worth it and they're investing in new stadiums. Roma, Fiorentina, and now Milan are the 3 bigger sides which have concrete plans as far as I'm aware, with Udinese and Cagliari both renovating. Sampdoria, Inter, Lazio and Torino also have unconfirmed plans.

Roma are due to move into their new stadium next year aren't they? Sure I read it will be a 55,000 seater. With the way things are going could that end up the biggest stadium in Italy?

Roma are due to move into their new stadium next year aren't they? Sure I read it will be a 55,000 seater. With the way things are going could that end up the biggest stadium in Italy?

The San Paolo holds 60,000 and I don't think Napoli have any plans anymore because they collapsed after they couldn't agree anything with the city.

So is the San Siro for the wrecking ball? I think that would be a real shame, it's an iconic stadium.

If they kept it, along with all these new stadiums, perhaps Italy could set itself up nicely to hold the Euros/World Cup in the near future.

I should have been more specific, Inter's plans involve slowly renovating the San Siro and probably buying it too.

One of the worst things that ever happened to Italian football was losing out on the Euro 2012 bid to Ukraine and Poland. That would have forced them into spending a lot of money on renovations and new stadiums. There are still some signs up from Italia '90 at the Bentegodi in Verona.

Begs the question what is the lifespan for a stadium? Think the deli alpi was only new build for Italian 90 and that's long gone. San Siri significantly upgraded then too, as was udine too I believe which is also being done up, although can't imagine it will get much bigger crowds for them.

In addition to the San Paolo being bigger, Bari's San Nicola is as well.

When down South for the Merseyside Derby on Saturday I managed to get to the new Man City Academy for the U21 game with Liverpool at 11.30. What a place. Liverpool won 2-1 with a late penalty great value for £3!

post-35012-14235212427209_thumb.jpg

post-35012-14235212805548_thumb.jpg

St Mirren play New York City there tommorow. Streamed live on their youtube channel :) . Gutted I can't make it down. I can't comprehend the possibility David Villa playing against us, seems surreal. Shame Frank Lampard doesn't join them till the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Mg1GBbu9Y

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

Really nice ground Jama and like you say would be ample for most Scottish clubs. It looks great in the shadow of the Etihad Stadium.

Claudio Reyna was interviewed at half time on Saturday that's a shame you can't make it. Be a great one off for St Mirren fans.

A few more photos ...

post-35012-14235234787296_thumb.jpg

post-35012-14235235672868_thumb.jpg

post-35012-14235236041156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

Great wee staduim that. Ideal for a Championship club in Scotland.

Whilst City's owners, initially, looked like just another mob of foreigners spending a shitload of cash to win the Champions League, they do actually seem like they wish to invest in football in the area, what with their academy and this new park. Contrast that with some of the other mobs in England who don't seem to be bothered about what is underneath their star-studded first team.