People who have changed from undecided/no to yes

conboyhibs

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honest question. Does anyone know a single no voter that isn't either a complete simpleton or a wee diffident bed-wetter?

Three. One is a programmer in the financial services industry. He's a bit of a reactionary in general and somewhat averse to change. One is middle management in the NHS and has lived in London for the last five years. He's also a bit of a career contrarian. And the last works in oil and has English parents. For some reason he's irrationally fearful of his career prospects in the event that the oil runs out (and frankly, given that his job involves figuring how to get it out of the ground, I fully trust him to gauge that prospect) even though, as a highly-qualified professional who can charge the oil companies basically what he wants he's perfectly capable of just moving to Dubai or Texas or the like in the event that he doesn't simply decide to retire. His opposition basically boils down to an insistence that independence is a huge gamble on oil reserves.

Friends and colleagues who are committed Yes voters come from all over the spectrum.

e

There has already been polling done that shows the bulk of yes voters are dismal scheme goblins with very few prospects. I suppose this is the main reason they tend to be massive grievance politics types and are looking to some external force to lift them out of their abject misery.

Why only a few short days ago you were regaling us with tales of the many many previously committed YES voters that you have personally converted to NO. And during these "Fantastic Stories of Adventure" didnt you refer to your fellow unionists as "morons"?

No Voters should be forced to wear Rangers tops 24/7 after a Yes vote.

Surely the same for Yes voters after a no vote or would you rather be "tarred and feathered", which ever would be least embarrassing

Surely the same for Yes voters after a no vote or would you rather be "tarred and feathered", which ever would be least embarrassing

Why would YES voters be forced to wear Sevco tops?

Ah but you see, a Yes voter isn't embarrassing himself. Subtle difference.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the polls will move toward Yes very quickly over the coming months.

I think the electorate in Scotland is particularly sophisticated. You only need to look at the difference between 2010 and 2011 which seems to be all about an electorate assessing its preferences based on electoral system, party identification, and locus of responsibilities.

The No campaign's negative approach was clearly based on a complacency borne from a lack of understanding of contemporary Scottish politics which ensured they could not properly engage with the issues that will lead to people switching from a No/Undecided to Yes. In part, because so many of the leading people in the No campaign are Westminster-oriented in their conceptualisation of this competition, even those based in Scotland.

There is also a misunderstanding of contemporary Scottish nationalism, which is closer to the mainstream of Scottish political thought than the No campaign can comprehend, which is why we get Darling's series of bizarre outbursts. This serves only to undermine the credibility of the No campaign because they don't only insult Scottish nationalists, but also that part of the electorate who identify to some extent with Scottish nationalism or have voted Scottish nationalist in recent elections.

The re-launch of the No campaign (bringing out Labour's tribal big beasts) further demonstrates a lack of understanding of contemporary Scottish politics. It may have once been the case when a high-profile Labour figure could adopt such an approach, but this just doesn't work. The Labour party have confused their electoral success in Westminster with a monopoly in the ability to define the limits of the debate. Gordon Brown's interminable lists just don't cut it anymore.

Mr Bairn. Maybe. idk. That Kevin McKenna article and an interesting conversation with my uncle have got me thinking.

Wondered what the smell of burning rubber was. Why did you address that post to yourself?

Wondered what the smell of burning rubber was. Why did you address that post to yourself?

Look at the title of the thread

Somebody else I know has just said to me that she is now voting YES. Can I just emphasise how utterly flabbergasted I am by this, she was an absolute nailed on 100 percent NO voter, she just told me that she's done some research into it and thinks she is going to vote YES. Holy shit. That's a fair few I know like that now. The tides a turning?

I'd be quite proud to wear something that marked me as a Yes voter in the event of a No vote.

Just not a Sevconian shirt!

I'd be quite proud to wear something that marked me as a Yes voter in the event of a No vote.

Just not a Sevconian shirt!

They can brand my sizeable ass with a mark if they like in the event of a no vote.

I think I'll start up a wee business selling "I voted YES" t-shirts after the referendum. :)

If anybody steals my idea you'll have my lawyers to deal with (and I mean REAL lawyers, not just wee pretendy ones like HP and Sad Lib).

Archived