People who have changed from undecided/no to yes

conboyhibs

What do you think it is with the over 65s that makes the majority of vote No? Is it a greater sense of togetherness from themselves or parents involved in WWII, simply because pension insecurity is a big deal to them right now or just because, well, they're old and many object to change with anything?

It would be a sickening thought for Yes voters to think that the referendum was massively swung by those that would have seen the least of an iScotland whilst the younger generations were generally all for growing up in a fairer state which they could shape. That's democracy though.

I think a lot of baby boomers will be voting No. The single most entitled generation in living memory. They have a comfortable lifestyle, have savings, a private pension, own their house and probably see change as a threat to that.

They form part of the selfish No vote.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of baby boomers will be voting No. The single most entitled generation in living memory. They have a comfortable lifestyle, have savings, a private pension, own their house and probably see change as a threat to that.

Oi. That's me your talking about.

I can assure you, it's a YES fae me.

Everyone who doesn't have access to the tinternet will be more likely vote " och naw ".

To be fair, it's not their fault, they joined Unions, marched and went on strike for their advantages. The next generation just rolled over and let the neo-liberals have their way with them.

Oi. That's me your talking about.

I can assure you, it's a YES fae me.

Everyone who doesn't have access to the tinternet will be more likely vote " och naw ".

Apologies, Grandad. You're the beautiful exception to the rule x

My wife has gone from a hard NO to admitting she was about 80% sure she'd vote YES. Although we've discussed things in the house, I've never made the mistake of actively trying to change her vote. Interestingly enough, I think a big factor os the number of her female Facebook friends that seem to be turning to YES.

It's anecdotal I know but the lies about the future of our NHS, our future membership of the EU being decided by middle England and the coincidental visit of Cameron to the Shetlands/underestimates of oil reserves have swung it.

I was previously dead set against a YES vote also. There's a change happening since the debate. This will be close.

My wife has gone from a hard NO to admitting she was about 80% sure she'd vote YES. Although we've discussed things in the house, I've never made the mistake of actively trying to change her vote. Interestingly enough, I think a big factor os the number of her female Facebook friends that seem to be turning to YES.

It's anecdotal I know but the lies about the future of our NHS, our future membership of the EU being decided by middle England and the coincidental visit of Cameron to the Shetlands/underestimates of oil reserves have swung it.

I was previously dead set against a YES vote also. There's a change happening since the debate. This will be close.

Just goes to show there are decent people in Falkirk after all...

You forgot my Villa on the Algarve!! ;)

What do you think it is with the over 65s that makes the majority of vote No? Is it a greater sense of togetherness from themselves or parents involved in WWII, simply because pension insecurity is a big deal to them right now or just because, well, they're old and many object to change with anything?

It would be a sickening thought for Yes voters to think that the referendum was massively swung by those that would have seen the least of an iScotland whilst the younger generations were generally all for growing up in a fairer state which they could shape. That's democracy though.

My dad is a (much) older voter from a posh bit of Edinburgh, but he is a stick-on Yes who will haul himself (literally) to the polling station even if it kills him. Might be the last time he ever votes Most of his peers are voting No, though. They are pretty surprised when they hear of anyone around them voting Yes. I think there is just a much stronger attachment to Britishness among them, and some kind of feeling that voting Yes is a terribly rebellious thing to do.

My dad is a (much) older voter from a posh bit of Edinburgh, but he is a stick-on Yes who will haul himself (literally) to the polling station even if it kills him. Might be the last time he ever votes Most of his peers are voting No, though. They are pretty surprised when they hear of anyone around them voting Yes. I think there is just a much stronger attachment to Britishness among them, and some kind of feeling that voting Yes is a terribly rebellious thing to do.

Your clue is that it's a posh bit of Edinburgh. They have done well out of the union and see risk to that lifestyle should Scotland vote yes. Better together has a lead of as much as 45% in more well off areas but the poorer, working class areas are where the yes camp is winning as they are the ones who want change as they aren't getting anything from the current system.

The older No voters are generally much quieter in their opinions I think, and don't stick their head above the parapet for fear of stroking the confrontational element within the Yes camp who accuse them of being unpatriotic. They would rather keep their views to themselves I have found.

I think a lot of baby boomers will be voting No. The single most entitled generation in living memory. They have a comfortable lifestyle, have savings, a private pension, own their house and probably see change as a threat to that.They form part of the selfish No vote.

As a 'baby boomer' I agree with most of that, other than the 'entitled' bit.

FWIW whilst the economic debate is the one that both camps and most voters see as the central one I reckon it's a bit false.

At best we will be slightly better off in an independent Scotland, and at worst slightly worse off. Of course claiming that we'll all be in the poor house in the event of a YES vote is a great way to create uncertainty and frighten folk mind you.

The older No voters are generally much quieter in their opinions I think, and don't stick their head above the parapet for fear of stroking the confrontational element within the Yes camp who accuse them of being unpatriotic. They would rather keep their views to themselves I have found.

And yet the ONLY people I see wearing NO badges are old people.

Weird.

Just an observation from personal experience that's all, almost a reluctance to declare their view, it's a shame.

As my esteemed brethren alluded to, the shame would burn me too.

Many people change their attitudes when they get older.

They have possessions now such as a pension, car, a fully paid off house all of which gives them a comfortable life.

Older people as a group have always feared change - especially when that change is driven by younger people.

You see this in their attitudes to modern music over the last 80 years.

It's partly the risk-averse nature which says "I already have everything I have spent my life working for. Why should I risk that for anyone" but IMO it's most;y about a feeling of being left redundant.

For perhaps 40 years these people have been in charge of everything from companies to government to being parents.

Now suddenly they find they are being marginalised by a world which moves on regardless of their dwindling influence.

Younger generations no longer seek their views or advice.

Voting No is the last stance of defiance from a group of voters determined to force their relevance onto a world which no longer listens to them or covets their advice.

Let's be honest, we write people off at 65 when we shouldn't.

It's not surprising that there is an edge of defiance from them.

They also have piss poor pensions and NO interest on their savings.

Who gave them that? Mr Broon.

Archived