The Alloa Athletic Thread

I'm sure jack will get it right, yeah apparently thats another reason he was raging.

Has david clarkson left or been released or what?

Clarkson got a serious injury last season. He's out of contract now but won't be back till next year. He's doing coaching and scouting for us.

8 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

I'm sure jack will get it right, yeah apparently thats another reason he was raging.

Has david clarkson left or been released or what?

David is still recovering from a quite horrific injury, he's still a good bit away from anywhere near playing games. He's currently doing some scouting work for Jack while coaching one of Motherwell's youth teams. Saints have stood by him even though he was out of contract.

David is still recovering from a quite horrific injury, he's still a good bit away from anywhere near playing games. He's currently doing some scouting work for Jack while coaching one of Motherwell's youth teams. Saints have stood by him even though he was out of contract.

Good to hear, did see him doing some training in the pictures posted on twitter i think, will he get another deal then?

2 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Good to hear, did see him doing some training in the pictures posted on twitter i think, will he get another deal then?

He's a great lad but I don't think he'll get another deal once he's fit again. I'm unsure as to how his knee would hold up to playing football after such a bad injury.

He's got his A license for coaching so maybe he'll concentrate on the coaching side or maybe he will give it one last go at playing.

How do you reckon the wasps will do this season under Jim Goodwin?

League looks a lot harder this year with more full time teams. I'd take play offs in a second again & thats what I would expect. Big question mark is the where the goals will come from after losing Spence & Kirkpatrick who we relied upon a lot for goals but that's football! Looking forward to the season though, been a couple of quality additions and now it's Goody's team so big season ahead!

10 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

League looks a lot harder this year with more full time teams. I'd take play offs in a second again & thats what I would expect. Big question mark is the where the goals will come from after losing Spence & Kirkpatrick who we relied upon a lot for goals but that's football! Looking forward to the season though, been a couple of quality additions and now it's Goody's team so big season ahead!

There is definitely still time to add to your squad as we approach the league games in August. Has Jim got any potential loan moves lined up? That's a market Jack will probably use to our advantage.

There is definitely still time to add to your squad as we approach the league games in August. Has Jim got any potential loan moves lined up? That's a market Jack will probably use to our advantage.

Yeah I think that's what it's come to for us, loans will finish up the squad with maybe one permanent deal I think he said. Hopefully get a gem in that market. I remember at Alloa Jack saying he wasn't the biggest fan of loans, (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) but in the clubs position they were needed & looking at his interview yesterday looks like your budget is all but done!

8 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Yeah I think that's what it's come to for us, loans will finish up the squad with maybe one permanent deal I think he said. Hopefully get a gem in that market. I remember at Alloa Jack saying he wasn't the biggest fan of loans, (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) but in the clubs position they were needed & looking at his interview yesterday looks like your budget is all but done!

We haven't used the money set aside for Loy. He obviously went to Falkirk but we matched their offer but they were willing to pay a fee in order for Dundee to release him from his contract. That's a fair ol wedge we haven't spent as yet.

Word is Jack is actively trying to shift Sutton & Quinn out for us to free up more money for at least 3 quality signings.

He's a great lad but I don't think he'll get another deal once he's fit again. I'm unsure as to how his knee would hold up to playing football after such a bad injury.
He's got his A license for coaching so maybe he'll concentrate on the coaching side or maybe he will give it one last go at playing.

I actually think our squad is stronger this season, slightly better defensively, and i think we will have no problems scoring goals having more than 2 goalscorers this season, in the top 4 somewhere i would hope so.

What about your hopes for this season?

8 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

I actually think our squad is stronger this season, slightly better defensively, and i think we will have no problems scoring goals having more than 2 goalscorers this season, in the top 4 somewhere i would hope so.

Certainly impossible to say until the new guys make their mark, but I can't see how we look stronger at this stage. There's reasons for that of course, and I suspect a reduction in budget is one of them. We will obviously be aiming for playoffs again, but man for man we don't have as strong a squad as at the start of last season. Not massively weaker, but still a drop on paper anyway.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Meggatts a top replacement but slightly different player. Agree we don't look weaker at the back barring injuries of course.

As for the rest of the team- I hope it works out too, but Kirkpatrick, Holmes, Spence, Goodwin from last season are all big boots to fill. Not saying it can't happen, but I don't see how I could take the opinion that it looks stronger at this stage.

24 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

I think if we could somehow find a centre back like Harry Davis and an experienced forward then we can be up there challenging. 

Difficult to say until we see who Jack manages to add to the squad. 

Eckersley and Magennis are both a big loss due to injury so it's vital we get then back as soon as possible. How do you think Kirkpatrick will do for us?

Meggatts a top replacement but slightly different player. Agree we don't look weaker at the back barring injuries of course.
As for the rest of the team- I hope it works out too, but Kirkpatrick, Holmes, Spence, Goodwin from last season are all big boots to fill. Not saying it can't happen, but I don't see how I could take the opinion that it looks stronger at this stage.

If there was an injury then yes we would, but we seem to have went last season without to many of those at the back anyway.

Robertson is a different player to holmes but good enough but i think we are short in that area but the manager doesnt seem to.

Only really spence and kirky got our goals last season so hopefully this season we get goals all over the park.

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I think if we could somehow find a centre back like Harry Davis and an experienced forward then we can be up there challenging. 

Eckersley and Magennis are both a big loss due to injury so it's vital we get then back as soon as possible. How do you think Kirkpatrick will do for us?

Kirky is excellent on his day, but a bit inconsistent. There were games I watched him early in the season utterly stumped as to why he wasn't playing at a higher level- particularly when he was tearing apart the likes of Ross County. But then he'd have a couple of quiet games and you could maybe see why.

He had a fantastic season for us. Good on the ball and capable of scoring absolute worldies- a goal threat from all angles. Very much a confidence player but your manager knows how to get the best out of him.

Yeah i agree both are hard to replace especially with most of the talent signed up but i have no doubt jack will get it right.

Personally i think jordan didnt have a good game yesterday but i was a big fan of him, jack seems to get the best out of him. He seems to work really well in an attacking team but he isnt very good at his defensive qualities but thats just my opinion.

Yeah i agree both are hard to replace especially with most of the talent signed up but i have no doubt jack will get it right.

Personally i think jordan didnt have a good game yesterday but i was a big fan of him, jack seems to get the best out of him. He seems to work really well in an attacking team but he isnt very good at his defensive qualities but thats just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

If there was an injury then yes we would, but we seem to have went last season without to many of those at the back anyway.

Robertson is a different player to holmes but good enough but i think we are short in that area but the manager doesnt seem to.

Only really spence and kirky got our goals last season so hopefully this season we get goals all over the park.

I like Robbo and he's a good player, but he was right out of favour for long spells during the second half of last season. As a result would be quite surprised to see him play all the time this season. Don't think he can do a similar job to Holmes or Goodwin. 

I do think Cawley will step up a bit and fire a few more in this season. Flannigan got a few last season and will do likewise. Time will tell on the rest though.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

It's difficult to see us getting as many goals as we did last season, it was exceptional in that respect.

That's not to say we can't do as well overall in the league. The target has to be playoffs and from there anything can happen, as we saw last season.