The Alloa Athletic Thread

Player/manager? Absolutely for me.
We've done it before, McCann, Garner, Sullivan and Goodwin spring to mind.

Personally not in favour of player manager.

As pointed out Gardener inherited a great squad from Alex Totten and destroyed it over a season and half. Landed on his feet by getting taken on as assistant manager at Aberdeen before Ferguson exit.

My ball Sullivan was another massive failure as well by having to take every set piece and trying to be lynchpin in central midfield wen his legs had obviously gone. On several occasions became embroiled in a war of words with the fans.

No but , I had to work Saturdays for a few years some time ago and missed a few seasons so it may have been then  

You never missed much, he's shite.

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

Off the top of my head ..Alex totten ?

Garner left before he was lynched , his "never give up " attitude made quite a few fans and players do just that..

Willie Garner finished that 6th placed 82/83 season as manager. Totten started it but left to join Falkirk midway through.

The top league was a 10 team league at the time, so we would have to finish in promotion playoffs spot in Championship to surpass it. Unlikely.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

34 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Willie Garner finished that 6th placed 82/83 season as manager. Totten started it but left to join Falkirk midway through.

The top league was a 10 team league at the time, so we would have to finish in promotion playoffs spot in Championship to surpass it. Unlikely.

well mostly right then ..garner needed time to F@ck it all up .

That 6th place finish was entirely down to Totten. Had us 3rd at one point, playing brilliant attacking football with Drew Paterson ([emoji7]) and Frankie Cole on the wings. Did we not pump Clydebank 7-2 away?

Re Robert Thomson, if he wants to go part-time I'd be inclined to go for him. I know he has had a poorish time at Morton, but he would be a decent target and he is skilful on the deck. Not sure there are many better part-time options out there. Of course I don't know what his attitude is like and that's crucial; needs to fit into the group we have.

Still annoyed we've lost Kirky. ☹

On the Goodwin front, I think it's best if he goes quickly. If he doesn't go now then he's sure to be tempted when the first round of sackings starts. Of course Mulraney has shown himself to be very good at recruiting managers and I expect he will go for a similar appointment to replace Jim; high profile player from the top division who has contacts and is intelligent and respected.

Just seen pic of Danny Lennon on social media, brought back the painful memories of that season, i thought I had blanked it out of my memory.  Remember it, it was utterly horrific, Geoff Mitchell, Mikk Reintam, Caitlin Paun, Kyle McAusland...jesus christ that was horrific.

Just seen pic of Danny Lennon on social media, brought back the painful memories of that season, i thought I had blanked it out of my memory.  Remember it, it was utterly horrific, Geoff Mitchell, Mikk Reintam, Caitlin Paun, Kyle McAusland...jesus christ that was horrific.

I thought big Mikk was alright.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Did we not pump Clydebank 7-2 away?

yes we did and I was there, unbelievable result. yes totten was entirely responsible for that season, drew Paterson career ending tackle from  Sammy conn? at albion rovers

good player .

27 minutes ago, Recsnotindodrill said:

That season was decided early when the boys that played under Paul and Barry decided to sign elsewhere. 

Danny responded by going on holiday for 3 weeks.