The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Isaac has started most of the pre season games and has showed up fairly well.

Good 2nd half performance yesterday, encouraging to see the team bounce back after going behind even though results are no big deal. Spence's goal was excellent. 

He was a real handful for defences when with us and he should do really well for you this year. 

3 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

He was a real handful for defences when with us and he should do really well for you this year. 

Personally I don't see him playing too much. I would assume that Spence and Longworth would be our starting strikers with Layne/Hynd on the bench.

Personally I don't see him playing too much. I would assume that Spence and Longworth would be our starting strikers with Layne/Hynd on the bench.

He'll push them all the way IMO. He's put in a real shift this pre-season & his quality and effort levels have been picked up on and commented on by the likes of Goodwin.

Just now, KierenAAFC said:

He'll push them all the way IMO. He's put in a real shift this pre-season & his quality and effort levels have been picked up on and commented on by the likes of Goodwin.

I don't think he will really push either of Spence or Longworth out the team though. Not at the start of the season anyway and then it would take one of them to have a couple of poor games and then Isaac would need to really take his chances to keep a place aswell. 

The problem isn't that Isaac isn't good enough but rather he is up against too very good strikers with experience at this level.

I don't think he will really push either of Spence or Longworth out the team though. Not at the start of the season anyway and then it would take one of them to have a couple of poor games and then Isaac would need to really take his chances to keep a place aswell. 

The problem isn't that Isaac isn't good enough but rather he is up against too very good strikers with experience at this level.

I agree that JR's preferred front line will be Spence & Longworth to start with but with so many games in the league cup etc. Isaac has a great chance to showcase his ability. Longworth & Spence are quality strikers and it'll be hard for Layne but I wouldn't write him off to push them all the way and not be back-up for the full season.

9 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

whats happening with Isaac Layne showed up very well during his brief loan period at Brechin if you don't want him can we have him please:thumsup2

Tries hard at times and can be quite physical if need be but I feel he falls short in his application and   drifts in and out of games. His ball control is questionable to say the least as well and to be honest I feel he just doesn't quite have enough quality. 

1 hour ago, Dimitri Payet said:

Remember Longworth couldn't get a game for Stranraer I don't think he will be a shoe in to start for Alloa.

Longworth seemed to get plenty of starts and goals for Stranraer before Brian Reid arrived. He turned down opportunities to step up a level in that time. After a season under Reid, Longworth was quoted as saying he was considering joining East Kilbride so he could enjoy his football again. Clearly something went wrong. He's at an age where he should be at his peak so if Alloa can get him back in form I think he will do very well indeed .

I'd agree that Spence and Longworth looks like the best pairing on paper. Isaac brings something different though, or at least he should do based on the attributes he has. Encouraging to hear he has shown potential in the friendlies.

Edited by Waspie

12 minutes ago, printer said:

He hasn't really looked any better than previously in the two friendlies I've seen (Fort William and Dundee).

Not so encouraging! We'll see how he gets on anyway and if he doesn't improve we know we can punt him to Brechin ;). I hope Hynd gets a chance too, I'd say he has done more with fewer opportunities. 

Since it's a week till competitive football starts, I'll put up what I'd like to see us start with against Cove.

(4,2,2,2)

Parry

Taggart, Graham, Marr, Waters

Goodwin, Hetherington
Cawley, Flannigan

Spence & Longworth.

I think that's our strongest starting 11 but I wouldn't be surprised or annoyed if Hoggan, Wilson, McDowall, Layne etc. found themselves in the starting 11. However to kick things off I'd say go with our strongest team and send a message out with hopefully a big score line.

Since it's a week till competitive football starts, I'll put up what I'd like to see us start with against Cove.

(4,2,2,2)

Parry

Taggart, Graham, Marr, Waters

Goodwin, Hetherington

Cawley, Flannigan

Spence & Longworth.

I think that's our strongest starting 11 but I wouldn't be surprised or annoyed if Hoggan, Wilson, McDowall, Layne etc. found themselves in the starting 11. However to kick things off I'd say go with our strongest team and send a message out with hopefully a big score line.

Ah, the good old 4-2-2-2 formation.