"pay what you can" season ticket

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Devlin's doing a very good job of running the club as a business from the limited knowledge I have of it. He seems to have done a good job of increasing commercial revenue, has improved the club's relationship with the local community, the club have announced the plans to try bring the ground a bit up to standards, there was the charity donation and it seems there's been a lot more.

I do agree it can be argued there are only so many gimmicks you can employ before it all becomes a bit stale. At least; it certainly only takes certain gimmicks so long before they get stale.

It's very impressive off the park for the Rovers, but I find it hard to believe Albion will become the revolutionary side that other clubs strive to be - something it seems Devlin wants them to be. Still, he's made a good start towards that target. As it stands, he's done a very good job so far and is clearly an astute businessman. I actually study sport business management at university so I find it all quite interesting and have to say I admire his efforts so far.

With the fairly constant vacancies on the board the club seem to advertise or fill, it's obvious he has got a clear vision for the club and that's to be admired. It will however be interesting to see how it goes in the longer term. I think based on the evidence I'm aware of it's unfair to criticise him on the basis that he's speaking like he's running a charity. In my view, that's the last thing he's worthy of criticism for. All decent businessmen take well calculated risks and this seems to be much the same. The balance sheets are likely to more than safe next season. If I was a Rovers fan, my worry would be on the park.

Even at this level if you want to please the fans, the most effective way to do it is by assembling a winning team. If Devlin neglects the playing aspect too much or for too long he may find himself under pressure regardless of the good work elsewhere.

With all the good work off the pitch and the cup run at the right time, I think Devlin could have done a lot worse than cutting his ties with Ward and trying to move to the next level on the park next season - even if it wasn't targeting promotion. It'll be interesting to see if he's wasted his time with him this season. Ward arguably starts the most under pressure manager for the second season in a row after his overpaid Galactico's flopped in 2013/14.

If I was a Rovers fan, my worry would be on the park.

Even at this level if you want to please the fans, the most effective way to do it is by assembling a winning team. If Devlin neglects the playing aspect too much or for too long he may find himself under pressure regardless of the good work elsewhere.

A reasonable post but the above is my concern, and should be our chairman's. It appears as though Devlin thinks getting his face on the BBC as many times as possible will act as a smokescreen for his underachieving team and people will come along regardless because "we're on the telly". The minute the reporter adds "Rovers finished in the bottom half of League Two" everyone loses interest. Once the club's successful, then try and flaunt it. That makes sense to me.

The "community link" pish is something I don't understand. Does that simply mean "getting more arses on seats"?

It remains to be seen whether he's increased commercial revenue- season ticket income has increased by 50% by selling 300%, so he's going to have to sell a lot of pies in the 18 games no one's paying into (other than 30 Berwick fans).

A reasonable post but the above is my concern, and should be our chairman's. It appears as though Devlin thinks getting his face on the BBC as many times as possible will act as a smokescreen for his underachieving team and people will come along regardless because "we're on the telly". The minute the reporter adds "Rovers finished in the bottom half of League Two" everyone loses interest. Once the club's successful, then try and flaunt it. That makes sense to me.

The "community link" pish is something I don't understand. Does that simply mean "getting more arses on seats"?

It remains to be seen whether he's increased commercial revenue- season ticket income has increased by 50% by selling 300%, so he's going to have to sell a lot of pies in the 18 games no one's paying into (other than 30 Berwick fans).

Dearie me AR. Seething again. You don't like the guy. Fair enough. We get it.

Predictably semi-popular but this gimmick can only be considered a success if the club's income is better than normal at the end of the year. Triple the season ticket sales probably means few regulars paying at the gate.

The chairman talking about "donations" is unpleasant. He's running a football club, not a charity.

Donations to your club from people who can't get to games and previously probably didn't even know who Albion Rovers were is a bad thing?

I agree that it would be good to see some figures in relation to how much the 3 times season tickets have generated but you can't surely be worried about people donating money to your club.

Predictably semi-popular but this gimmick can only be considered a success if the club's income is better than normal at the end of the year. Triple the season ticket sales probably means few regulars paying at the gate.

The chairman talking about "donations" is unpleasant. He's running a football club, not a charity.

I agree, anything popular and successful is a bad thing.

I am sure he would rather a lump sum at the start of the season to adjust budgets rather than being drip fed throughout the season, even at that if the team were to do a Queen's Park and nose dive, few of the paying regulars would turn up. At least this way those would have already paid up.

It's all fine and well coming up with new gimmicks every fortnight but by doing this Rovers will get all their cash in a oner in the Summer and take very little over the following 9 months. There's no way the club will make any more cash from this and the threat of losing money next season is much bigger than the chance of making any.

It's great to get the headlines but I think Mr. Devlin should be spending less time trying to make himself a celebrity by using Albion Rovers as a guinea pig and more time running the club properly.

With respect, you'll notice on the club's official website that they have put together a seemingly well-qualified management team who I would venture are more capable of making this decision than you are.

I have bought one for the first time having been to Cliftonhill only once before. I intend to use it quite regularly and if I am using it to the point I'm ripping the club off, then I'll make a further donation. I'm looking forward to it.

Donations to your club from people who can't get to games and previously probably didn't even know who Albion Rovers were is a bad thing?

I agree that it would be good to see some figures in relation to how much the 3 times season tickets have generated but you can't surely be worried about people donating money to your club.

My problem was with the wording. A donation is a charitable hand-out. Buying a season ticket is a purchase.

My problem was with the wording. A donation is a charitable hand-out. Buying a season ticket is a purchase.

Your club has received donations before when struggling, such as the donation of assistance from a security firm when you had the vandalism a while back. There's nothing to be ashamed of. You seem to think that it is somehow embarassing for your club.

Albino Rover proving the old epithets that you're damned if you do and damned if you don't and that you can't please everyone.

I'm pleased when the team succeeds. I'm worried by a rookie chairman taking radical risks with a club that's still financially very fragile.

If people are donating to your club, what the hell else is he meant to say?

I'm pleased when the team succeeds. I'm worried by a rookie chairman taking radical risks with a club that's still financially very fragile.

We've established earlier in the thread that it's really not a radical financial risk.

Your club has received donations before when struggling, such as the donation of assistance from a security firm when you had the vandalism a while back. There's nothing to be ashamed of. You seem to think that it is somehow embarassing for your club.

Rovers have moved on a long way from needing hands-out. The vandalism problem was six or seven years ago when the club's finances needed serious attention; we're on a much steadier foot now thanks not to charity, but to sound financial planning and hard work from the previous board.

Yes- I think a chairman who takes pride in receiving what he calls "donations" is somewhat embarrassing.

Rovers have moved on a long way from needing hands-out. The vandalism problem was six or seven years ago when the club's finances needed serious attention; we're on a much steadier foot now thanks not to charity, but to sound financial planning and hard work from the previous board.

Yes- I think a chairman who takes pride in receiving what he calls "donations" is somewhat embarrassing.

What a ridiculous and ungracious statement. You need a reality check and a bit of humility.

Archived