Your own favourite teams wost squad over the years

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen Jordan? I rated him pretty highly, let alone saying he's in the Pars' worst ever XI.

To be fair, it was my 4th attempt at such a team. Although I didn't remember him too fondly.

To be fair, it was my 4th attempt at such a team. Although I didn't remember him too fondly.

Aye I suppose, I just remember him being pretty good for us, and Jordan being made redundant was the only reason Whittle got into the first team. Every cloud and that.

Andre Karnebeek came with so much promise. Over 300 appearances for FC Twente, admittedly they were not as good as they have been recently, but was totally inept.

This thread has reminded me of Jack de Gier. He looked like an absolute natural striker. Poetry in motion, almost. Gutter when he left

EDIT: Shit spelling

Bit like shooting fish in a barrel for us but here's my own 'worst of the worst':

Manager: John Greig
Gerry Neef
José-Karl Pierre-Fanfan
Basile Boli
Karl Svensson
Olivier Bernard
Bert Konterman
Juan Ortiz
Emerson
Francis Jeffers
Egil Østenstad
James Beattie

Bit like shooting fish in a barrel for us but here's my own 'worst of the worst':

Manager: John Greig
Gerry Neef
José-Karl Pierre-Fanfan
Basile Boli
Karl Svensson
Olivier Bernard
Bert Konterman
Juan Ortiz
Emerson
Francis Jeffers
Egil Østenstad
James Beattie

What about sevco?

Sorry to keep doing this;

Roddy McKenzie

Andre Karnebeek

Brian Rice

Stevie Welsh

Gavin Johnson

Freddie Daquin

Derek Ferguson

Mark Kerr

Kevin Harper

Jamie Mole

George Shaw

Mark Kerr wasn't bad, came in an was our best centre mid in our SPL season, certainly was a step above Hardie, Burns etc.

Muirhead, McCunnie and Hamilton shouldn't be near that team. Willis could be considered harsh as well.

As for the rest......think of the noise Sideshow Bob makes when he shudders.

Willis was pretty push tbf.

Sorry to keep doing this;

Roddy McKenzie

Andre Karnebeek

Brian Rice

Stevie Welsh

Gavin Johnson

Freddie Daquin

Derek Ferguson

Mark Kerr

Kevin Harper

Jamie Mole

George Shaw

Brian Rice was never a centre half min! And he was a more than decent footballer who played his part in the 95/96 campaign.

Derek Ferguson and Steve Welsh are however terrific shouts. Feel your inclusion of George Shaw is harsh though.

Last one, I promise;

Zoran Lemajic

Stephen Jordan

Justin Skinner

Craig Ireland

Mark McGarty

Edinho

Stephen Simmons

Rob Matthei

Paul Kinnaird

Rory Loy

George Shaw

Skinner? Jordan? Puzzling selections there; for me, neither would be anywhere near a worst Pars squad, never mind XI. Zoran was ok as well though he eventually lost his place to Westie. Paul Kinnaird, I also thought of including him though - all I remember him for is being sent off for kicking a Dundee United player when we roasted them 3-0 at EEP in 1995. And Davie Bowman was sent off that day too. Pleasing.

I wouldn't even waste my time giving thought to some of the fannies that have played for us in recent years. A bit harsh to consider big David Lilley on of the worst though, he was way by his best when we got him and was slow as a week in the jail but the big man gave his all and never shirked any responsibility played not bad in a terrible side. Would have been a good influence on our youth as well.

I wouldn't piss on Steven McKeown, Kevin Barkey or Mark Roberts though if they were on fire.

I see Ayr like to take players from Stranraer then they a branded rubbish when they go there haha.

My ultimate rank rotten 11 for Stranraer are as follows

GK - Kenny Meechan

Def- James Banjo Mckinstry

Robert Walker

Will Snowden

Andy Essler

Mid - Alan Blakie

Grant McMartin

Alex Burns

Ricky Gillies

Str - John Osbourne

Willie Martin

Subs- Allan Morrison, Joe Mcalpine, Mark Duthie, John Maisano, Kenny Wright, Scott McManus, Andrew Roddie

• 1 year later...

Nah, he never had the chance to prove how shit he was given he played a total of 4 minutes.

Marinus Dikhuizen, Jesper Christiansen, Senyi N'Dyiae and Colin Nish deserve a shout though (I realise Nish actually went on to have a good career and showed himself to be a decent player, and that he was never going to get a game in front of guys like Coyle, Smith, Crawford and Brewster, but he failed to impress in every chance he got in the first team).

Right, this is going to be tough, so many options

Manager: Davie Hay

Chris Smith

Jason Thomson - Alex Keddie - John Potter1 - Paddy Boyle

Kevin Harper2- Jamie McCunnie3 - Stephen Simmons - Freddy Daquin

Andy Cambell - Bartosz Tarachulski4

Subs:

- Roddy McKenzie

- Mark McGarty

- Rob Matthei

- Darren Young5

- Owen Morrison

- Bobby Ryan

- Jamie Mole

Reserves:

- Bryn Halliwell

- Andre Karnebeek

- Jonathan Page

- Ross Millen

- Sean Kilgannon

- Ged Brannan

- Jamie Dolan

- Lee Makel

- Paul Burns

- Mike McGlinchey

- Georgi Hristov

- Seyni N'Diaye6

1 - Much respect for him and everything he has done for the club, but he is fucking pish, in the legends game he was our only current player playing, and by far the worst centre back on the pitch, Skerla, Wilson and Tod all still looked miles ahead of him.

2 - Only ever played well against Stirling

3 - Yes he was a scapegoat and some of the abuse he got was fucking disgusting, but he was still absolutely pish.

4 - I loved him, but f**k me he was awful.

5 - Everything he did after 03/04 was complete dogshit.

6 - My childhood idol alongside Youssuf Rossi and Marco, but he was fucking terrible.

It's unspeakable the amount of shite we've had over the years. Crap Dutch players in the days of Calderwood no doubt on wages only bettered by Rangers and Celtic to the absolute guff Jim Leishman signed between 2005-2006. How on Earth did they get to a League Cup Final? Andy Campbell, Bartosz Tarachulski, Freddy Daquin, Yannick Zambernardi would all probably get in to most Pars fans' worst XI, all signed by Leishman.

I had to have a long, hard think about the worst Stenhousemuir XI over the last 11 years but, after some soul searching, I think I've done it:

GK: JAMIE BARCLAY - it might be a little fashionable to pick on Jamie Barclay but I don't think I've ever seen a goalkeeper make so many decisive errors in such a short space of time. There was a period earlier in the season where he cost us a goal in every match he played in. There's been some rubbish over the last decade - John Hillcoat, Andy Carlin, Kieron Renton - but I don't think there's been anyone as consistent as Barclay. Just check out his own goal in the 2-5 defeat at Ayr United - ay carumba!

RB: DAVID MURIE - who else could it be? One of "The Berwick Five", Murie had captained the Shielfield club with some distinction before he joined the Warriors in 2006, but he could never reprise the same level of performance in his new surroundings. Once considered to be the best right-back in the Third Division, supporters quickly grew frustrated with his perceived lack of effort and declining standards. It all got too much during a home game against Albion Rovers - with the team 0-3 down before half-time, Murie reacted badly to sustained abuse from supporters and lashed out at a Vers player as he broke down the wing. He was over the wall and down the tunnel before the referee could show him the red card. He never played for the team again and joined Brechin City.

CB: ROSS SMITH - the young defender signed on loan from Dundee United on the back of a promising spell with Peterhead the previous year but he was dreadful for the Warriors. He seemed to lack the basic attributes of a lower-league defender - he was positionally naive, lacked discipline, looked weak in the tackle and appeared nervous every time the ball went anywhere near him. He was tried out at centre-back and then at right-back before he was sent back to Tannadice. He's now with Stirling Albion.

CB: SCOTT "BIG BOAB" McCULLOCH - it was a toss-up between Big Boab and incumbent captain Stuart Malcolm and, as tempting as it was to give it to the charlatan leading our current side, Big Boab was an enormous disappointment during his brief spell at the Ochilview. He was a cult hero at Partick Thistle, a solid defender with a left foot like a traction engine, capable of scoring the most outrageous goals. We didn't see either. It was distressing to see Big Boab get pushed around by jobbing strikers and leap into the air to head uncontested long balls and miss them entirely. His free-kick ability was non-existent - everything he hit just seemed to scud off the wall. We thought he scored on the final game of the 2006-07 season but it was given to John Dempster.

LB: STEPHEN THOMSON - just a shocking player, and probably the worst on this list, in pure footballing terms, anyway. Eyebrows were raised when John Coughlin brought in this haddie from Montrose, with many Mo fans aghast he'd been picked up by the newly promoted Second Division side. I remember seeing him in a couple of pre-season games and thinking he didn't look up to much, but he got worse when the competitive matches started. As mentioned above, Thomson lacked any real semblance as a footballer and, for someone who seemed to spend a lot of time in the gym working on his upper body, he was easily brushed aside by waspish wingers. He was also a really dirty player - I can't remember who it was against but he really hurt someone with a shocking tackle (I think it might have been away at Clyde). Thomson was exiled to Berwick Rangers but returned to the club under Davie Irons who tested him out in a match with East Fife; Irons took one look at him and binned him.

CM: THOMAS "TAM" MURDOCH - of all Campbell Money's rubbish signings, it was Tam Murdoch who really captured the imagination. Brought to the club from Neilston, keen-eyed observers of the junior game seemed perplexed as to why he'd been picked up by a senior side. Not that it put off Stenhousemuir fans - Murdoch was described as "an aggressive scorer of spectacular goals who can play on the right or centre" on the club website. Except he was neither aggressive nor spectacular. Murdoch ran about the middle of the park in a constant state of panic, overwhelmed by the pace of the Third Division. He was badly out of his depth, and a sciatic nerve complaint put paid to any prospect of him making it with the team. A dud.

CM: GREGOR FOTHERINGHAM - I feel a little bad for including Gregor Fotheringham - other than Tam Murdoch, I don't think Stenny have ever had any genuinely bad central midfielders over the last 11 years - but he's been added to the list because of what he represented, more than anything else. Scott Booth signed him in the summer of 2014 as the captain for the U-20 squad and as cover for the first team. And, as it became apparent Booth had assembled a bunch of players unsuitable for the rigours of League 1 football, Fotheringham became more and more ingratiated with the matchday squad. He was a slight boy with no real discernible attributes but, for whatever reason, he appeared to be Booth's go-to guy when things needed "shored up" towards the end of games. Yet he never really shored up anything and looked ill suited - he didn't look as though he was capable of doing what he was asked and the game always seemed to pass him by. If he walked past me in the street I don't think I'd recognise him.

CM: BRIAN "EDDIE" McLAUGHLIN - I'm cheating a little here by including him at central midfield but there aren't a lot of solid candidates and Brian McLaughlin plays in the closest available position. Signed by Des McKeown in 2006, the club trumpeted McLaughlin had never played at a level lower than the Scottish First Division; the implication being that it was a surprise he'd drop into the basement tier with Stenny and he'd have a pretty easy time of it. But McLaughlin rarely played, be it through injury or work commitments, and when he did he didn't have the impact anyone expected from him. A major disappointment, all things considered.

ST: SHAUN FRASER - there's little doubt that Shaun Fraser is the most acutely limited player I've ever seen, not just at Stenhousemuir, but at any level of football. He'd actually played a handful of games for Partick Thistle before coming to the Warriors on loan and, according to some of their supporters, he had something about him. He was raw, sure, but there was something in there. What that something was, however, was certainly never uncovered during his time at Stenhousemuir. Fraser made three substitute appearances for the club, each a little shorter than the last, before being sent back to Glasgow. Everything he did looked wrong - his runs, his positioning, his touches, his finishing. Apparently he played rugby as a boy before switching to football in his early teens; he shouldn't have bothered.

ST: ANDY THOMSON - a hero with Queen of the South, Andy Thomson looked to be winding down his career when he accepted a player-coach role from Campbell Money. And boy, did he wind it down! I don't think I've ever seen a more uninterested player than Thomson. Sure, he scored a couple of goals (his header to complete a lovely team move in a rout of Dumbarton was smashing), but he always gave the impression he had a million better things to do than play for Stenny.

ST: KENNY DEUCHAR - pound for pound, big Kenny Deuchar is the worst player I've seen at Stenhousemuir. It was seen as something of a coup when Davie Irons brought him in on loan from Livingston and many thought he'd be the person to fire us into the play-offs. After all, he worked with Irons with great success at Gretna, had scored dozens of goals in the Second Division in the past, and he offered an exciting alternative in attack to Andy Rodgers and Stewart Kean. But from the very first game, something looked off - Deuchar was a bit heavy, he was immobile, unwilling to challenge high balls and his touch lacked assurance. Fans, expecting a lot more from him, quickly got on his back. After four or five games he was benched, and his performance in the do-or-die encounter with Forfar Athletic on the final day of the season was abysmal. Given the level of expectation, the outlay on wages and the return for the investment, Deuchar is the poorest player on this list.

So there we go:

- Shaun Fraser - Kenny Deuchar - Andy Thomson -

- Brian McLaughlin - Tam Murdoch - Gregor Fotheringham -

- Stephen Thomson - Big Boab McCulloch - Ross Smith - David Murie -

- Jamie Barclay -

Dishonourable mentions to: Paddy Mailey; Alan Gilbride; Greig McCulloch; Stephen Connolly; Martin Grehan; Ryan Davidson.

Archived