B Teams in the Football League?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27327502

FA's 4-point plan to revitalise the English game is... [1] founding a "new tier within the Football League to accomodate Premier League B teams"; [2] a ban on non-EU players outwith the Premier League; [3] a reduction in non-home-grown players in the Premier League; and [4] more loans.

So basically they want to shaft the small clubs and ruin a tradition of the English game as a sop to the EPL, then ban non-Europeans from English football except in tier 1 where they don't have the guts to challenge the EPL.

The review also calls for a ban on non-EU players outside of the top flight and a reduction in non-home-grown players in Premier League squads.

Wut. So footballers from Norway wouldn't be able to play in the Championship? Horrid idea.

It has all the hallmarks of the FA wanting to be seen to be doing something but being unable or unwilling to address the actual problem: the problem is the EPL who sign too many foreigners and don't develop enough English youngsters. But the solution is to wreck the Football League with B teams and a ban on non-Europeans, as it's the only way to try and look like changing things for youngsters and as the EPL wouldn't tolerate a ban on non-Europeans.

C teams as well?

If Motherwell had a Z team then I might even get a game.

They'd have to start on the numbers before I'd be considered...

Apparently only 10 'big' EPL clubs would be allowed B teams initially, who would start in a new League 3 alongwith 10 non-league clubs.

They could then ascend to Leagues Two & One.

EDIT: Peterborough chairman calling for FL to oppose the plan. Says he thinks EPL & FA will bully them by threatening to withhold solidarity money.

Only half caught it on the radio yesterday but someone was saying that England's real problems are rooted in their lack of coaches with them only having a couple of hundred qualified at a certain level whereas Germany and Spain both had circa 4000.

Hopefully this B team crap will get rejected and Dyke will then turn round and say all he was really doing was raising issues and stimulating debate. Twat.

It's such an hilariously terrible idea that I genuinely can't believe that it keeps cropping up over and over again, firstly in Scotland and now in England.

Let's be honest, the only people who want this are those who only care about the biggest clubs in the country, be it their fans or the football association. Their mindset is 'who cares about Albion Rovers/Elgin City/Southend/Morecambe when this is what Chelsea/Celtic wants'.

It's patronising and shits all over the history and traditions of the smaller clubs and is a roundabout way of saying 'listen, you're not as important so f**k off or pander to the big boys'.

Utterly terrible idea about B teams and the ban on foreign players. Currently nearly half of the Premier League have been in the lower two leagues in the last couple of decades (Man City, Southampton, Swansea, Hull, Cardiff, Fulham, Norwich and Stoke fact fans) but this idea is effectively saying that this level of football is a separate world from the Premier League.

Banning foreign players will simply make the teams worse and I don't see why lower league sides should be penalised because the FA can't develop English football.

I'm actually surprised as I thought Danny Mills and Rio Ferdinand would come up with some revolutionary stuff. :lol:

Some posters are analysing the report's detail on the NonLeagueMatters forum, some more interesting points.

If more than 10 EPL clubs want B teams then those who don't get into League 3 can get into the Conference, further bumping non-league teams down the food chain. There would be 3-up-3-down across all leagues (i.e. League 2 loses a promotion place and gains a relegation place...!!). There would be a special protection on B teams, so they could not be relegated out of the Conference even if they finished in the bottom 3!! Apparently the report doesn't clarify what should happen if a B team finishes in a promotion position for into the Championship, as it should only happen rarely :lol:!!

Fundementally, going by the 4-point plan, the grand conclusion is England's footballing fortunes are being hampered by:

* all these pesky non-Europeans playing in the lower leagues

* youngsters missing-out on 20 games a season v Football Conference clubs

* some tweaks to the homegrown players cap

Bizarre.

My feeling is that Hibs current U20s/reserves would struggle to justify playing at Lowland League level, nevermind at Scottish League level.

The same goes for their current first team.

Some posters are analysing the report's detail on the NonLeagueMatters forum, some more interesting points.

If more than 10 EPL clubs want B teams then those who don't get into League 3 can get into the Conference, further bumping non-league teams down the food chain. There would be 3-up-3-down across all leagues (i.e. League 2 loses a promotion place and gains a relegation place...!!). There would be a special protection on B teams, so they could not be relegated out of the Conference even if they finished in the bottom 3!! Apparently the report doesn't clarify what should happen if a B team finishes in a promotion position for into the Championship, as it should only happen rarely :lol:!!

Fundementally, going by the 4-point plan, the grand conclusion is England's footballing fortunes are being hampered by:

* all these pesky non-Europeans playing in the lower leagues

* youngsters missing-out on 20 games a season v Football Conference clubs

* some tweaks to the homegrown players cap

Bizarre.

f**k you diddy teams, if you had provided us the players to win a world cup then you wouldn't have to be relegated.

How does that even work? If you get relegated would you be forced to sell or release non-EU players?

Probably the next big idea will be relegation creates a fear of failure which isn't good for development, therefore it will be abolished.

Probably the next big idea will be relegation creates a fear of failure which isn't good for development, therefore it will be abolished.

Hiya Phil, Hiya pal

Full report can be downloaded here if you're interested

http://www.thefa.com/news/thefa/2014/may/fa-commission-report

This caught my attention

4.9.3 Creating and introducing an England Under 21 Squad into the

Championship
This would have had the advantage of collecting together a future England team
squad and creating more of a club atmosphere in which they played together for a
year or two while on loan from their clubs. It would disrupt the traditional pyramid very
little and would be easily reversible if unsuccessful. It could build support amongst the
next generation of England fans and provide high profile games at venues across the
country.
However, the terms of getting players released from clubs was seen as too complex. If
the squad were relatively fixed, the best players would be held back by clubs to retain
flexibility for first teams. There would also be an added complexity of The FA running a
league team while passing judgment over its players for disciplinary and other issues.

:huh:

Archived