B Teams in the Football League?

Grey Dyke and the FA seem to be pushing to introduce divisions containing the B teams of Premiership + Championship clubs in the Football League. Seemingly the big idea is to install new divisions of B teams between League Two and the Conference - or mix the B teams, League Two and the Conference into new regional leagues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27289819

Thoughts? Think it sounds fairly terrible, personally.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine had to deal with him professionally a couple of years ago. Unsurprisingly Dyke's the rude, attention seeking, little shit you'd expect him to be.

I'm against it for English football, because I dislike the whole concept of Reserve teams playing any way up the pyramid... kicking about in the bottom rung or two, maybe... and I think it shafts non-league clubs and would gradually harm the smaller FL clubs.

However I'm also against it as we in Scotland seem to copy anything they ever do, and my fear is the response the idea could get at Hampden...

_55347441_doncaster.jpg

82947-open-arms-stewart-regan-is-ready-t

_69627067_lawwell.jpg

If they start them at the bottom level rather than forcing them in at the level mentioned, then I don't think it's too bad an idea.

It works elsewhere, and is probably worth experimenting with in the UK.

What a stupid idea. The English pyramid seems to work very well as it is...

The argument appears to be that reserve team football isn't providing the top young English players with the platform they need to break into the Premiership and the national team. From that standpoint they are probably right that there is a problem, but I'm not sure they have identified the best solution. Holland have done OK at the national team level in recent times without having done the B team in the pyramid thing until very recently when a few B teams were drafted in to keep the numbers up in the second tier.

Has anyone from the Scottish meeja called 'headquarters' for instructions on how to play this one?

Stupid idea for a country the size of England. if they want competitive football for reserve players then get a proper 'competitive' reserve league on the go.

I can understand it in Spain, where leagues go more regional after the Segundo. Interestingly enough, Barcelona 'B' are in a play-off position in the Segundo at the moment but cannot be promoted.

Grey Dyke and the FA seem to be pushing to introduce divisions containing the B teams of Premiership + Championship clubs in the Football League. Seemingly the big idea is to install new divisions of B teams between League Two and the Conference - or mix the B teams, League Two and the Conference into new regional leagues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27289819

Thoughts? Think it sounds fairly terrible, personally.

I can't believe that he's not opened the door for Celtic and The Rangers to join at the same level.

If they start them at the bottom level rather than forcing them in at the level mentioned, then I don't think it's too bad an idea.

What "bottom level"? League Two? Luton Town spent five miserable years trying to get back into League Two, which has a paltry two promotion spots. Why the f**k should Bolton's B side get the honour for nothing?

It works elsewhere

Other countries are far larger than the UK. Other countries also tend to be dominated by a couple of clubs to an almost Scottish extent. The Premier League looks incredibly competitive compared to most seasons in the other top European leagues.

I don't expect this to go anywhere, but it's astonishing it would even be floated.

Archived