The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

35 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I think we’ve been hamstrung by years of very poor recruitment. We’ve seriously lacked contracted players who you can hang your hat on and build a team around.

Look at Robson’s best 11 from when he took over last season: Roos, McCrorie, Pollock, MacDonald, Scales, Hayes, Clarkson, Shinnie, Ramadani, Duk, Miovski.

4 loanees - 2 of which have now signed

1 short term contract - now signed

4 contracted players in their first season at the club - 1 now sold

2 longer term first team players - 1 now sold and the other is 36 

Outside of this 11, there’s very little quality or experience in the squad.

IMO, we’ve done well to recruit a good few players who should be foundations of the team in the medium term at least: Shinnie, Clarkson, Devlin, Rubezic, MacDonald. It’s not been enough though and I certainly don’t envy the task of those involved trying to bring in a huge number of first team quality players in one window. If we can put together a decent spine to the team, as we seem to have done, it’s means we can focus our efforts more instead of having to sign essentially a whole new team aside from strikers and a goalkeeper.

McInnes, Glass, Goodwin and Mowbray to an extent have a lot to answer for.

Most of it boils down to Mcinnes's poor recruitment in the final couple of seasons. The other managers mentioned there weren't in position long enough to make a proper arse of it and all of them made good signings in that short period.

He was undoubtedly the best manager of the lot but shouldn't have had near the level of influence over the transfer policy as he had.

26 minutes ago, Arnie said:

Thought watching the game last night is Barron is an upgrade on polvara was constantly wanting the ball and making passes 

Barron is a definite upgrade but there's the obvious reason why he doesn't get much playing time.

9 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Most of it boils down to Mcinnes's poor recruitment in the final couple of seasons. The other managers mentioned there weren't in position long enough to make a proper arse of it and all of them made good signings in that short period.

He was undoubtedly the best manager of the lot but shouldn't have had near the level of influence over the transfer policy as he had.

His recruitment from 2017 onwards has meant we’ve been chasing our tail since. Up until then, we’d been supplementing a good squad with good players every year. Those players started to leave and we replaced them with the likes of Stephen Gleeson and Stevie May. Milne realised he’d finally lucked out on a managerial appointment and gave him the keys to the whole club which never should’ve been allowed to happen.

6 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

His recruitment from 2017 onwards has meant we’ve been chasing our tail since. Up until then, we’d been supplementing a good squad with good players every year. Those players started to leave and we replaced them with the likes of Stephen Gleeson and Stevie May. Milne realised he’d finally lucked out on a managerial appointment and gave him the keys to the whole club which never should’ve been allowed to happen.

100%.

Wanted to run down contracts and then replace players but you're replacing a player who's value has tripped over the course of that three years and caught up with us.

33 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Polvara has been massively overrated by some based on his start to the season. 

Yip.

Mainly by Robson it has to be said.

Probably deflecting from the club fucking up by letting Ramadani go with still no replacement in the door.

Pathetic management & organisation to be honest 

The polvara thing doesn’t bother me. 

He’s been nothing better than ok so far, but he is unfortunately one of a limited couple of options we have currently. 

Of course robson is going to talk him up in public. Zero chance that behind closed doors robson is very content with him being first pick. It’s good management to prepare for the fact that transfer targets may fall through and you might have to rely on the guy. 

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Turning into a bit of a farce with scales. 

Celtic bending us over and saying we’ll sell him at our price and at a time of our choosing when we feel we have sufficient cover. 

I get robson likes him and fair enough but go and find an alternative, be proactive with Celtic to get the deal done. He isn’t THAT good. 

And I doubt he’ll be here anyway.

Celtic have 3 fit centre halves & he’s one of them. 
No chance he’ll be let go until they have 4 fit (excluding him). 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

And I doubt he’ll be here anyway.

Celtic have 3 fit centre halves & he’s one of them. 
No chance he’ll be let go until they have 4 fit (excluding him). 

That’s their prerogative and it’s shame on us that we’ve become so reliant on this that we’re allowing our squad to be dictated by celtics injury problems and transfer dealings. 

If the focus on scales is being driven by robson, which is the suggestion, then that actually is bad management. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s their prerogative and it’s shame on us that we’ve become so reliant on this that we’re allowing our squad to be dictated by celtics injury problems and transfer dealings. 

If the focus on scales is being driven by robson, which is the suggestion, then that actually is bad management. 

Yip.

More generally, I had concerns when he was appointed. 

Nothing has changed my mind yet. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Barron is a definite upgrade but there's the obvious reason why he doesn't get much playing time.

Cormack seen this in his last season and kept the funds hence why the cash wasn’t spent in January 2021 and we ended up with the Jobbers we did. Don’t blame him if the rumours miciness was away at the end of the season why let him spend on players on 2/3 year deals when he was out the door. Always say that Scottish cup final team of 2017 was our last good team we had. Apart from 2/3 players we were quite dire player wise 

9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

https://www.aberdeenlive.news/sport/football/football-news/oxford-united-knock-back-aberdeen-8691083

He's predominantly a left back but can play left sided centre back.

May be a sign we moved on from Scales.

About time.

We have been pissing around with them for too long, added to the fact Scales is only one of three fit central defenders they have, so they definitely won’t let him go just now. 

37 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

We already have 3 perfectly capable strikers. Surely we have other areas (left centre back, central midfield, wide right and wide left) that are much more in need of signings?

I have an inking the club may sell Duk this window. If a decent offer comes in then he'll be away. Duk has been relatively poor of late and I think he's holding back due to a potential move. I have no qualms with the club getting a player in prior to Duk's departure. 

As a club, we should have players lined up in the event we sell anyone. However Ramadani informed the club 7 months ago he was looking to move as clubs declared their interest. His replacement should already be in the building.

The Scales debacle has panned out exactly like the Ryan Christie scenario we previous had with Celtic. It looks as though we'll be revisiting the Scales deal again in January. Regarding the Ciaron Brown offer, the media tend to be several weeks behind current transfer activity. It could just be agent talk to get his player a better deal etc.

I don't doubt the club are trying their best to get the "right" players in but even I'm starting to get a little concerned by the lack of activity in the final weeks of this window. However it sounds like we maybe hearing news of a midfielder soon.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

There should have been a conversation with Celtic in may - whats the asking price? 750k? No thanks, we’ll look elsewhere. 

You then keep tabs on the situation to see if it changes between may and august and you talk again if and when circumstances change. You get the impression we’ve spent the summer telling Celtic how much we want him and how we have no alternatives. 

If it’s true the ramadani move has been in the pipeline for a long period of time then we have failed there.