The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

And?   

A team that is so disappointing, yet still finished comfortably above your mob, by 11 points. 

Again.

For the squillionth year in a row.

Back in your box 

It's never too late to bring up the Marvel of Darvel in these kind of analytical debates in my opinion. I know it's soooooooo last year season, but I for one will never tire of remembering it fondly when the Doric flock fanciers get a bit uppity. 

18 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

let’s be honest, history tells them to enjoy their week in the sun, because we all know where they’ll end up when it really matters. 

Aye, curses to you Northern b*****ds for stealing Jim Goodwin from us !!!

And curse the financial settlement you made in our favour !!!

How did that one go anyway ?

Tee Hee Hee.

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Tee Hee Hee.

11 points above you last season, despite being shite for 75% of it.
£5m minimum as a result

But keep digging 

I’m going to need a bigger boat 

17 minutes ago, Squonk said:

It's never too late to bring up the Marvel of Darvel in these kind of analytical debates in my opinion. I know it's soooooooo last year season, but I for one will never tire of remembering it fondly when the Doric flock fanciers get a bit uppity. 

Dons fans get uppity? 
Have you seen this thread?

It’s Saints fans piping up because they won the league in August 😆

Shut up FFS 😂

59 minutes ago, Squonk said:

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Tee Hee Hee.

Not even a hint of irony 

1 hour ago, Squonk said:

The team that lost to Darvel was still a better team than Hibs, Hearts, St Mirren, Motherwell, Livingston, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Dundee Utd could imagine across a season. That team also beat Sevco later in the season.

Funny thing football. St Mirren fans are a bipolar bunch for example.

They had won the league when they beat our 10 men team(for 85 minutes). They then all wanted Robinson out after an appalling end to last season and a defeat to Montrose. Now after 4 league games St Mirren apparently matter again 😁

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Just in case anybody on here has missed it, all three ECL home games are now on sale to STHs and appear to be going on general sale on Sunday if not purchased by then. 

Mine and old man’s seat now gone to uefa officials so we have to go down on Monday to pick seats for the 3 games. 

1 hour ago, Squonk said:

I think fergie and Smith more than cover that,not to mention weir,mcdougal stark etc

4 hours ago, billyg said:

Old Boggy's changed his tune rather quickly ! 

Haha, I've changed my mind even quicker than that suggests because that was in May, and I still thought Robson and Agnew were the men for the job after Hacken away.

Just his demeanor after the Hibs game, and the run of fixtures coming up makes me think he's running out of time.

Perhaps victory at Tynecastle will see me another about turn from me.

I don't think changing managers every five minutes is the recipe for success so I'd rather he just sorted this slump out.

19 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I had reservations right from when he was appointed to be honest. 
To be fair, he pretty much forced the Board to give him the job on the back of 7 consecutive wins.

But, as good as it was from where we were, the football was pretty grim. 
We rode our luck too in that run. 
You do get away with long ball football IF you’re winning the majority of your games

But the same kind of football is now not winning games. 
Is it 2 wins in 11 or 12?  
That’s unacceptable.  
Maybe teams & managers have sussed him out?

The tactics he employs are now not working. 
He doesn’t seem willing to change it. 

Playing 3 at the back when we KNOW teams are playing 3 up front, so we’re going man for man at the back, is suicidal.  
Playing Rubezic on the right of a back 3, exposing his chronic lack of pace, is naivety, probably stupidity. Basic stuff.

His post match interviews are just a litany of nonsensical excuses. Tiredness, heat, the grass, etc. 

We’ve invested about £2.5m in new players & I don’t think he’s the man to be in charge of that rebuild.

NB - Agree with your assessment of the new recruits. 

Think it’s very unfair to extend that into last season. We were running on empty with the squad he inherited with Duk knackered, Shinnie suspended and McCrorie out with a hernia. Our last five games were a win and a draw vs St Mirren and Hibs respectively at home and defeats at Celtic Park, Ibrox and Tynecastle, hardly terrible form.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

It should have been obvious to our manager from Ruby's first training session that he's going to struggle out wide against a quick winger. 

I'm sure he'll be fine if his job is to win headers and tackles whilst making short passes to more technically gifted teammates.

Nobody in Aberdeen colours is winning any headers in our matches so far. The most worrying thing I've seen this season was the attitude of the defence in the lead up to the first goal on Sunday. No urgency, no commitment, just let Hibs do what they wanted in our box. Awful. 

5 hours ago, Squonk said:

I don't know of one Dons fan that baulks at anyone trying to take the piss out of us at losing to Darvel. We take the piss out of ourselves for that as well. But it did all end up well.

17 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The most worrying thing I've seen this season was the attitude of the defence in the lead up to the first goal on Sunday. No urgency, no commitment, just let Hibs do what they wanted in our box. Awful. 

I have no idea what was going on there.  Just a collection of statues from the moment Doidge latched on to the ball out wide - and zero reaction when it was played back into the middle.

How could several players that earn a good living out of defending all simultaneously react so badly?

The second goal wasn't much better.  A very weird and inexplicable few minutes.

On 05/09/2023 at 13:37, Thenorthernlight said:

Maybe…BUT…. 
The next 5 fixtures are, in the main, very challenging through September.

Hearts away - they’re shite but our record there is terrible. 
Frankfurt away - could be 5+. 
Ross County home - must win. 
Ross County away in cup - must win. 
The Rangers away - defeat

If we get papped out the Cup & do as I’m suggesting above, the fans will crank up their dissatisfaction & Cormack will be more than aware.

I don’t think Robson has what it takes to change &/or get the best out of this squad. 
Poor results added to horrendous football is only going to end one way. 

And it’s not knee-jerk either. 
Say we only win Ross County at home, that would be 3 wins in about 18-20 games or thereabouts? 
All hypothesis to be fair, but the way we’re playing, it’s extremely realistic. 

Why are we more likely to win against Ross County than we were against a managerless Hibs?

46 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why are we more likely to win against Ross County than we were against a managerless Hibs?

We always seem to struggle to break down Mackay teams.

Doing it on the back of chasing shadows in Frankfurt is not likely to make it any easier.