The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I'm not specifically being critical of the Aberdeen team when I say that the first half was one of the most boring halves of football I've ever seen at Pittodrie in European competition (although I didn't think the Shkëndija first half was up to much either).

The minute's applause for two legends of the club was half-hearted, the atmosphere flat like people had bought the three match tickets for PAOK and Eintracht whilst this one was more a chore to attend, the tediously extended length of the half due to the head knocks and the dull uneventual action on the pitch had me yawning before the half had ended.

The second half was an improvement, if not in atmosphere then at least with the two goals and Aberdeen playing with more attacking intent.

I think when there's a big crowd in Pittodrie then the spectators should do more to lift the players into action.

I'll be happier I think on Sunday when the two games a season mob will be absent.

However, my final assessment on last night was that the home fans must perform better against PAOK and Eintracht and see if we can help galvanise the players into two memorable European nights under the lights.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm not specifically being critical of the Aberdeen team when I say that the first half was one of the most boring halves of football I've ever seen at Pittodrie in European competition (although I didn't think the Shkëndija first half was up to much either).

The minute's applause for two legends of the club was half-hearted, the atmosphere flat like people had bought the three match tickets for PAOK and Eintracht whilst this one was more a chore to attend, the tediously extended length of the half due to the head knocks and the dull uneventual action on the pitch had me yawning before the half had ended.

The second half was an improvement, if not in atmosphere then at least with the two goals and Aberdeen playing with more attacking intent.

I think when there's a big crowd in Pittodrie then the spectators should do more to lift the players into action.

I'll be happier I think on Sunday when the two games a season mob will be absent.

However, my final assessment on last night was that the home fans must perform better against PAOK and Eintracht and see if we can help galvanise the players into two memorable European nights under the lights.

Chicken & egg situation.

Passing the ball slowly from Gartenmann to Ruby to Jensen, & then back again (slowly), before one of them launches it aimlessly is not going to get the fans excited, is it?

The tactics were very odd 

Helsinki were inferior to Hacken by a stretch & we should be beating them. 

3 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Chicken & egg situation.

Passing the ball slowly from Gartenmann to Ruby to Jensen, & then back again (slowly), before one of them launches it aimlessly is not going to get the fans excited, is it?

The tactics were very odd 

Helsinki were inferior to Hacken by a stretch & we should be beating them. 

The atmosphere was flat from the very start, before the players had kicked a ball.

I wonder if it was Pittodrie acclimatising to kicking off a home European match with floodlights on! I think I'm correct in saying that Bayern Munich in 2008 was the last one. It felt a bit odd, our European matches are normally played during the early months of the summer!!

40 minutes ago, billyg said:

Very disappointing result for the Dons , really shouldn't be seeing Finnish Clubs in their way , very poor standard over there now !

You save your disppointment for Sunday Bill, when a vulnerable Sevco roll into town...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

31 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Surely Rijeka in the 2019-20 season when Ojo got sent off and the rest of the game instead of just passing it back in forth has to be one the worst halves left alone worst game 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The atmosphere was definitely flat from the start, markedly worse than the hacken game I thought. Can’t put my finger on why tbh. 

The atmosphere for the Frankfurt game will be interesting. Chance nothing to play for, 5:45 kick off. 

18 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Surely Rijeka in the 2019-20 season when Ojo got sent off and the rest of the game instead of just passing it back in forth has to be one the worst halves left alone worst game 

The only time I’ve left a game before half time :lol:

1 hour ago, bpdon said:

Until HJK scored, I was quite ambivalent about our performance. On the one hand I was reassured that we had clearly learnt from the Hacken hiding, where our blood-n-thunder approach exposed us to being picked off by quality players - to use a Deek McInnes, we were managing the game quite well and generally being very disciplined if a little disjointed up front.

On the other hand, we were clearly playing too passively, safe, and well within ourselves. This was frustrating when there was plenty scope for someone, anyone, to step forward and own dictating the game higher up the pitch. The scars from Hacken were holding us back from over committing anywhere.

The references above to Jensen and Gartenmann playing keep ball ad-infinitum were case in point - Stephen Craigen said this in commentary multiple times.

HJKs goal was a bit out of the blue really. If we were content going into that last 30mins still at 0-0 and primed to up the ante from this point (the subs suggest we probably were) to have a more progressive go at victory, I think we win that fairly comfortably.

It wasn't great but it was way above some of the early season dross plus we did enough to deserve a win. I will give Barry the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Agree with most of this except that HJK scored out the blue. They were controlling the game and their change was inevitable. Unfortunately for us they took it.

1 hour ago, Moorie said:

Very true, that was a pish game, and the Qarabag one was similar but without the sending off.

On a more positive note, the first Rijeka home match was a cracker.

36 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread and I've missed it, but does anyone know what Besuijen has done to get so completely ostracised?

I did hear a rumour that he'd been caught sticking his little toffee pudding in an oven he shouldn't have, if you get what I mean... 

But it's probably shite. Or maybe not 

1 hour ago, STFU_Donny said:

Bring back the vuvuzelas and the inflatable clappers à la the Copenhagen game.

You may mock, but Pittodrie hummed and buzzed that night on and off the park... Comfortably the greatest Pittodrie Euro night of the modern era (in front of the Dick Donald stand is what I class as the modern era) and fans knocked their collective pan in for the team 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

24 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

You may mock, but Pittodrie hummed and buzzed that night on and off the park... Comfortably the greatest Pittodrie Euro night of the modern era (in front of the Dick Donald stand is what I class as the modern era) and fans knocked their collective pan in for the team 

Yes, I know. I was there. I was being serious.

Thought we played well for 70 of the 90 (or 100) minutes.

While the passes from the centre backs could have been more progressive, you could see the high press working well and we had a load of dangerous possession and chances, probably 4 or 5 in the first half without having to think too hard. 

The head knocks (including the potential elbow) stopped all momentum and playing with 10 changed the momentum. HJK came out far better in second half and deserved their goal - but they were clinical and could have added another.

Thereafter we were excellent and could and should have scored more than once. The goal was coming and while delayed we could and should have won the game 3-1.

Those who don’t like Barry Robsons interviews, good lord give yourselves a shake. Might not be as polished as a McInnes, but a hell of a lot more about him (and the players buy into him) than a snake oil salesman like Goodwin.

Edited by scottorae

1 hour ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

I did hear a rumour that he'd been caught sticking his little toffee pudding in an oven he shouldn't have, if you get what I mean... 

But it's probably shite. Or maybe not 

It all started after that Atlanta trip during the WC break. 

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Atmosphere was good in the Merkland for most of the game. The rest of the ground seemed to be mute. It’s funny how the atmosphere can feel different in different parts of the ground though. I could see the HJK fans were supporting their team actively but couldn’t hear them apart from the goal.