Albania

You can get a ferry from Corfu.

I did this several years ago. I have to admit Albania wan't my cup of tea. It's nothing like Motherwell either. No Aquatec, no Mega Bar and no Mecca of Scottish Football, Fir Park either. The nearest I got to a Chapman's pie was a ball of grease, so there are similarities in all fairness.

We went to the blue needle, which was some massive pond which was...blue. Very nice to look at, but that was it really. i believe there are some Roman ruins that may be of interest if you like that sort of thing too. A very hilly country IIRC.

Only ever been to the north parts, Skohdar.

Terrific place. Great people. They are hated by ex-Yugoslavians, more just a shitey predjuce probably like the Irish had in Britain, but found it an amazing place. My Montengrin pals and family were telling me they are barbarians, they will rob me and so on, and still one of the quotes of my life "Listen, they are not like you from Scotland, or us. I seen an Albanian take a shit on a petrol station forecourt''.

It was all bullshit. It was great fun.

It is eye opening though going from Montenegro to Albania and seeing the difference in roads and standard of life. Not that Albania is as poor as Africa, but even though Yugoslavia was communist it was at least open to western and Soviet tourists to help develop, Albania wasn't.

Go there though.

Cheap beer. Warm, friendly and attractive people. They love Scotland/Ireland too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived