St Johnstone European Tour 14/15

Steve McQueen

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent result for St Johnstone, though I thought you would manage it in the 90 minutes. Full page in today's 20minuten as well, though the last quarter of the article went through Luzerns persistent failure to win in Europe...

Good luck in the next round!

I'd imagine they'll be feeling as gutted as we did last year. Going out on pens when you were the better team is a sore one.

That said, our guys were unbelievable. They had the belief and fitness to close space, offer a counter threat and then show the resolve to execute a perfect shootout, despite the ghosts of last year presumably in the back of their heads.

Hopefully nobody asks Steve Brown anything for a few days and we can savour that a bit before the inevitable burst bubble from the chairman.

As mentioned by many, a great battling performance against a technically much better team.

And their support was incredible.. Only 500 of them but they never stopped singing for 120 minutes. The best away support ever at mcDiarmid ?

I'd say so. Absolutely incredible support.

Richard Brittain's reaction to our result last night;

00518946%20-%20250x325.jpg

As you can see, he is now happy for his former club and last summer's saga has been forgotten about. I can only assume he is desperate for the toilet also.

(Before any County fans get uppity about this post - I did this last year during our European run. I'm quite a superstitious fellow, so please don't be upset).

Is it just me or are St. Johnstone now one of everybody's two favourite teams ;)

Come on Saints!!!

Almost a year to the day :D July/August is becoming traditionally "St Johnstone time" for the football starved Scottish supporter...

Great result. Whilst they were technically better than us and had more of the ball, they did not really trouble Mannus too much. We defended very well.

I was hugely impressed with Scott Brown. The whole team were excellent but this is a 19 year old who looked unfit last season stepping up and playing the full 120 mins. His ball winning in the middle was awesome. Composure and distribution slightly off but playing with Chris Millar should help him improve that. If he can keep his performances at that level then you can see why it was a no brainer for Cregg to be let go.

Really hope we can get an even bigger crowd in next week and get a win to take over with us. Our away performances in Europe the last couple of years have been excellent so more of the same. Tommy really has the guys knowing how to play cup football.

Jeezo didn't realise quite how hard Stevie May hit his penalty, it's how it should be done though, no keeper in the world saves them. I don't know why, but Mannus just seems to fill up a goal a lot more than others, their goalie was taller, but nowhere near as "big" in nets. That said his casual walk when we won to the saints crowd was brilliant, all the players sprinting past him and him strolling over. What a boy!!

Credit to Alan Mannus. He went the right way every time. Unlucky not to save more.

I noticed that however they were so well taken he had little chance. The one he got was closer to him but still a good save...

10373726_929095220449307_909208944261510

This is why a penalty shoot out is not a lottery. if a team has practised their penalties then their pens can be good enough that that the keeper simply can't save them. This means a keeper could be lucky enough to go the right way every time and not save a single one. their is a small element of luck but that is all but so does a 90 minute game of football. Mannus only saved one because only one was savable.

Some penalty from May, that's as good a penalty as I have seen.

Is the next tie the last before the group stage?

Nope - there's a play off to come after that.

If we get through this round, we'll need to be really lucky in the draw. We'll be unseeded and, as we've seen with Aberdeen's opponents in the next round, there's some proper big boys in the mix now.

Archived