Dundee United 2014/15 Season

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter Houston knows how shit he is. When he left us he was just trying to save face and he was asking for more money in the hope that someone would give him it. He rode on the coattails of the Levein squad until he ran out of ideas and he actually had to start rebuilding the squad, something he was incapable of doing. Every day I am still thankful we no longer have to put up with his bullshit.

If he does end up at Falkirk, it will be an incredibly shortsighted appointment by them, plus they are putting a man who has no faith in youth in charge of a club that must have one of the youngest squads in the country. That will work out well...

Ach, Houston made a mistake thinking that he'd be sought after and so wanted more from United to stay. Fair enough, he's not the first and won't be the last to be refused a raise then leave a job.

But yeah, Falkirk probably not the destination he ever imagined.

Is it confirmed yet Houston to Falkirk?

I really didn't like Houston towards the end, though I won't ignore what he did in his spell as United manager. Many will agree with Stu regarding him utilising Levein's team, but there are many managers that can take a good team and make an arse of it (take a bow Yogi).

Houston's last season in particular was a nightmare. When your sitting at a game or walking away after a game and everyone is saying the same thing that you're thinking re formation, zonal marking, substitutions etc. then you know there is something wrong.

If Houston has any self awareness he must be pissed off that McNamara has come in and, on the budget Houston said was unacceptable, finished fourth and reached the Scottish Cup final.

If he gets the Falkirk job I hope we get them in a cup tie. :)

What an embarrassing climb down for Houston.

He thought he was brilliant when he left DU and was off to the EPL.

Roon ye

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. He was offered a substantial pay cut to re-sign and, quite understandably, turned it down. The rest was mostly spin - albeit he made a bit of an arse of it with the suggestion that the club couldn't progress by relying on the young players.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. He was offered a substantial pay cut to re-sign and, quite understandably, turned it down. The rest was mostly spin - albeit he made a bit of an arse of it with the suggestion that the club couldn't progress by relying on the young players.

He was also quite happy to proclaim himself the second best manager in our history - something, only he believed, I would hope!

I think it says it all that his best mate, Sir Craig, didn't offer him the Hearts gig.

Not sure about the word "understandably". The fact is that the financial situation of the (then) SPL clubs changed significantly in the time Houston was at United. This was also reflected in other UK leagues with the possible exception of the English Premiership.

Houston was never going to walk into a job paying him better that he was being offered at United, he was naive to think otherwise. I agree he was entitled to do what he did but I reckon he was very unrealistic in his expectations. What he's done since leaving United bears that out.

Not sure about the word "understandably". The fact is that the financial situation of the (then) SPL clubs changed significantly in the time Houston was at United. This was also reflected in other UK leagues with the possible exception of the English Premiership.

Houston was never going to walk into a job paying him better that he was being offered at United, he was naive to think otherwise. I agree he was entitled to do what he did but I reckon he was very unrealistic in his expectations. What he's done since leaving United bears that out.

I don't disagree with any of that but if you offer a man a paycut then the message is quite clear. It's not even about the money, per se, but about what it means. United weren't overly fussed about keeping him and that was apparent I think in the offer which was made to him. He took the hint and fucked off. Whether he genuinely thought he'd get a better gig elsewhere or not is almost secondary to the fact that his relationship with United had run its course on both sides.

I don't disagree with any of that but if you offer a man a paycut then the message is quite clear. It's not even about the money, per se, but about what it means. United weren't overly fussed about keeping him and that was apparent I think in the offer which was made to him. He took the hint and fucked off. Whether he genuinely thought he'd get a better gig elsewhere or not is almost secondary to the fact that his relationship with United had run its course on both sides.

I think the one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Houston made it pretty clear he wasn't willing to work towards what United were trying to achieve i.e. bringing through young players while the club reduced wage demands of more experienced pros. McNamara obviously relished this challenge as it was something he'd been used to at Thistle and saw an opportunity to further himself.

I've no ill will on Houston, whether it was his team or not, he certainly used the players in a much more attacking fashion than Levein did. That said I'm not sure Falkirk is currently a good fit for him or the club.

Seems a few of the Sunday papers reporting that United are taking the stance that Rangers are only two years old and thus compo for Telfer should be based on that. Your average zombie is going bananas.

Seems a few of the Sunday papers reporting that United are taking the stance that Rangers are only two years old and thus compo for Telfer should be based on that. Your average zombie is going bananas.

Thompson is a master at trolling Rangers. Everything he does causes mass seethe.

I'd say he's right about Telfer though.

Thompson is a master at trolling Rangers. Everything he does causes mass seethe.

I'd say he's right about Telfer though.

Glasgow A&E better be on standby when the decision is made. Just in case.

You got a link for this?

Have a look on orc media, they are taking it in their stride as usual :lol:

ETA seriously they are so fucking thick; one of them asks

How was that Scottish cup win for you? Oh wait ..........

It's like the Ramsden final never happened :lol:

He was also quite happy to proclaim himself the second best manager in our history - something, only he believed, I would hope!

I think it says it all that his best mate, Sir Craig, didn't offer him the Hearts gig.

Would obviously have to look closer, but you could argue a case.

Only Wee Jum, Golac and Houston have won major trophies. Golac won the cup, but we finished two points off relegation in that season, and were then relegated in his second season. Houston won the cup and finished 3rd, 4th and 4th.

Obviously second best behind McLean is a bit like Houston claiming he is second in hairiness behind Samaras when the competition is Eamonn Bannon, but he might not be far off.

Archived