Trans-Siberian Express

loyal-blue

Much useful advice there George, thanks for that.

I'm intending to make my way overland to Moscow then was thinking of joining an organised trip from there to Beijing. Trying to pick one with the right stops though - would like to see Ekaterinburg but it looks like that's going to bump up the cost a fair bit. Is it worth seeing?

Aye, was a right enough place. We spent a day in the city and a day outside. Hired a local guide, went to see the border between Europe and Asia (which was far more interesting to me than it should have been in anyway - it's a line), but of dog sledding and some of the town's and cities to the north of the Ekaterinburg. I am led to believe there is lots more to do there too. The city centre itself is pretty small and easy to walk around.

If you were only going to break the trip once I would be more tempted by Irkutsk. Irkutsk is nice and Baikal is pretty impressive - definitely with the side trip.

If you are doing the Trans-Mongolian then I guess Ulanbaatar is a major stop? I also hear that Ulan Ude to the east of Irkutsk is worth a look, but we didn't stop there.

Irkutsk and Ulanbatar are pretty much the essential stops that every trip does, yeah.

I'm really itching to get on with booking this now but I need to wait for my passport renewal to come back - need the details from that to book so they can give me the visa invitations and stuff. At least it gives me another couple of weeks to work out exactly what I want to do with it. In which respect you've been very helpful - thanks again for that.

Irkutsk and Ulanbatar are pretty much the essential stops that every trip does, yeah.

I'm really itching to get on with booking this now but I need to wait for my passport renewal to come back - need the details from that to book so they can give me the visa invitations and stuff. At least it gives me another couple of weeks to work out exactly what I want to do with it. In which respect you've been very helpful - thanks again for that.

No worries. Pretty much whatever you do will be cool! What other stops do they offer. There are lots of places around Moscow that are supposed to be great - but that is for another Russian trip.

Booked, for April.

A pretty basic one, only stops en route between Moscow and Beijing are Irkutsk (two days) and Ulanbatar (three days). Going to spend a good few days in Moscow instead, and I'm hoping to continue to Hong Kong for a few days at the end.

Booked, for April.

A pretty basic one, only stops en route between Moscow and Beijing are Irkutsk (two days) and Ulanbatar (three days). Going to spend a good few days in Moscow instead, and I'm hoping to continue to Hong Kong for a few days at the end.

Enjoy! Be getting plenty rubles for your pound about now....

• 4 months later...

Well that was fun.

Strictly speaking it was the Trans-Mongolian rather than Trans-Siberian, but I think I accidentally picked a good time of year to do it. It was spring and not too cold but Lake Baikal was still frozen over.

Well that was fun.

Strictly speaking it was the Trans-Mongolian rather than Trans-Siberian, but I think I accidentally picked a good time of year to do it. It was spring and not too cold but Lake Baikal was still frozen over.

How was Ulanbatar? Me and a mate were talking about going there now the the visa restrictions for visitors from the UK have been lifted.

UB is interesting, and rapidly expanding, but I wouldn't say it was the highlight of the trip or anything. Whether it would be worth a dedicated trip depends on what kind of traveller you are, I guess. There aren't a huge amount of obvious things for a typical 'tourist' to see and do, but there's a very strange and interesting mix of cultures, if you're the kind of person who can make the most of just immersing yourself in that.

They're still very big on Genghis Khan. Not a lot has happened in Mongolia since then.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread.

I work in Asia and am planning a train trip from Vietnam or Thailand back home one of these days. As soon as the opportunity presents itself.

Some good info here. Cheers.

I went from Scotland to Vietnam and back overland. Out through the Baltics, Russia, Mongolia, then back through Central Asia, the Caucasus, Turkey and the Balkans. That was 2007/8 so a lot will have changed. I was back in Skopje the other week and it's hugely different.

Did you forget something? I left my jumper in a pub in Shotts once, but I never went back for it, because I had another one.

My job. Luckily it was still there when I got back, proving how unproductive it always was.

Archived