The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2014-2015

glensmad

I think we would be doing very well to win those games in hand. You by the looks of it are more of the finished article than we are. Hopefully when we do play you we can make a game of it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we would be doing very well to win those games in hand. You by the looks of it are more of the finished article than we are. Hopefully when we do play you we can make a game of it.

Make a game of it!!! Every post is trying to play down your teams chances but I don't think you believe any of that for one second. Fact is KRR were a premier team last season and for many seasons before that. They are one of the top sides in the league and one of the favourites for promotion and current form is as good as any in the league.

I don't doubt that everyone at KRR expects the team to bounce straight back up this year and anthing less than that is failure.

I have seen how we have been playing this season, not been playing poor but not brilliantly. We have also only played teams in the bottom half of the table. Just being realistic.

RRG and the Maybole support on here seem to be at pains to play down their promotion hopes while at the same time talking up the opposition. It's a self-protection comfort blanket thing to play down expectations, while deep down they know that they will unquestionably be in the promotion mix.

Saturday's fixtures :-

Ardeer Thistle (8th) v Shettleston (3rd)

Cumbernauld United (9th) v Greenock Juniors (7th)

Irvine Victoria (12th) v Rutherglen Glencairn (6th)

Largs Thistle (13th) v Neilston Juniors (11th)

Maybole Juniors (2nd) v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (4th)

Pollok (1st) v Yoker Athletic (5th)

Thorniewood United (14th) v Kilsyth Rangers (10th)

Your thoughts ?

Two fixtures catch the eye for me, that's Maybole v Rob Roy and Pollok v Yoker, four of the top five playing each other. Similarly, four of the bottom five play each other as well, Thorniewood v Kilsyth and Largs v Neilston.

I expect Cumbernauld to push on now after winning the Sectional League Cup yesterday, I think that's possibly been a distraction to them in their league matches so far this season.

For us at Glencairn, it's good to be getting back to league fixtures again after three consecutive weeks on cup duty. With us being out of both of the big cups early this season, we don't have another cup tie now till the Central League Cup kicks in (probably round about February/March), so if the weather plays ball we could get a good run of league fixtures this season, which will hopefully help us avoid the end-of-season chaos that we've had for the last few years. Every cloud has a silver lining I suppose.

That would be a hard one to take for any club

East Kilbride Thistle were relegated with 34 points the season before that as well, while Ardrossan, Whitletts and Hurlford avoided relegation with the same points total but a better goal difference.

It shows how precarious this league is, when you consider what has happened to East Kilbride and Hurlford respectively since that season. One point more for Thistle would have seen Hurlford relegated instead.

RRG and the Maybole support on here seem to be at pains to play down their promotion hopes while at the same time talking up the opposition. It's a self-protection comfort blanket thing to play down expectations, while deep down they know that they will unquestionably be in the promotion mix.

Pot kettle springs to mind here... Haha. Everyone is the same. The fact is everyone just wants to get points on the board and come march time you can be a bit more honest.

29nhw94.png

And they call me "Statto" ? Lol. :thumsup2

Interesting figures, so nobody has been relegated with 35 points before. I've always looked at 36 points as the ultimate safety figure at the start of a season, 18 points in each half of the season is the guideline for survival.

Pot kettle springs to mind here... Haha. Everyone is the same. The fact is everyone just wants to get points on the board and come march time you can be a bit more honest.

Yeh, you're probably right, to be fair. Although I don't think I've said that our only target is survival either. We have finished top half of the table for three years on the trot, so we have to be aiming to improve on that.

Pollok Defo for the league and rightly so. The budget between each team is making a difference in this league. We will be happy with staying up and if

We don't we can hold our head up high. Great league with some cracking players. Pollok was always the team i thought would be up there along with glencairn and rob roy. Still confident we will stay up

hope you do stay up bud all the best for rest of season

Yeh, you're probably right, to be fair. Although I don't think I've said that our only target is survival either. We have finished top half of the table for three years on the trot, so we have to be aiming to improve on that.

And when we say we're aiming for 35 points we mean it! Maybole are a very small club, punching well above their weight, and we cannot expect to be safe just because of a good previous season. We've came from surviving relegation by a last game win at your place two years ago, to finishing 4th last year. And while we exceeded all expectations, we know that the league is just as strong, and therefore our first target is 35 points, and you then start looking up!

And when we say we're aiming for 35 points we mean it! Maybole are a very small club, punching well above their weight, and we cannot expect to be safe just because of a good previous season. We've came from surviving relegation by a last game win at your place two years ago, to finishing 4th last year. And while we exceeded all expectations, we know that the league is just as strong, and therefore our first target is 35 points, and you then start looking up!

You really have surprised me so far sir, by your results in the league and I heard that you's were unfortunate not to grab a win at Penicuik previous week either. My opinions about Maybole have been based purely on the 3 times I've watched them this season and tbh the last twice I have seen you's they've conceded 8 goals.

The point being is maybe I should stay clear from watching Maybole from now on ;) Lol.

Yeah clubs like ourselves need to get to that magical 35 point mark then take it from there.

Yeah clubs like ourselves need to get to that magical 35 point mark then take it from there.

The same applies to all teams in the league, but in reality Rob Roy's expectations lie much higher than just staying in the league. They will be looking for promotion, and have made a decent start in that regard.

I have seen how we have been playing this season, not been playing poor but not brilliantly. We have also only played teams in the bottom half of the table. Just being realistic.

There is being realistic and saying 'make a game of it'

You are making it sound like a pub team playing a senior side!!

I would be surprised if many at KRR didn't feel that promotion should be the only acceptable target and I would imagine your manager would feel the same.

If any of the relegated sides don't get promoted I bet the manager doesnt expect to keep his job, thats not arrogance just the reality of teams dropping down a league in any level of football

There is being realistic and saying 'make a game of it'

You are making it sound like a pub team playing a senior side!!

I would be surprised if many at KRR didn't feel that promotion should be the only acceptable target and I would imagine your manager would feel the same.

If any of the relegated sides don't get promoted I bet the manager doesnt expect to keep his job, thats not arrogance just the reality of teams dropping down a league in any level of football

It depends on what situation the manager inherits when he takes on the job. Not all relegated teams would see not being promoted back straight away as failure.

Archived