The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2014-2015

glensmad

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just frustrating when you see two very similar incidents at either end of the ground inside 10 minutes, with two different decisions. It undoubtedly influenced the outcome of the match, because both teams had been defending very well and I thought a 0-0 was on the cards. The penalty award for Pollok changed the game, and it was undoubtedly soft. However, that's football.

As a neutral watching them penalty incidents , I thought Pollok's was a definite penalty.

Rutherglen's penalty claim was a dive IMO, but I've seen loads of penalties given for less.

As you say Glensmad , it's frustrating when opposition players win debatable penalties but brilliant when your own team get them.

We've all been there. Cast your mind back to the sectional cup game between Cambuslang & Rutherglen in August. Your penalty (the winning goal) was an embarrassing dive by Thomas Kilmartin. I was raging at the time , but on reflection , I've seen Kilmartin win us loads of debatable penalties from his time at Somervell , so can't really complain because we'd benefited from his theatrics on countless occasions.

Some you win , some you lose.

We're heading through to Greenock in the Scottish soon, and I see they've had a couple of good wins in recent weeks. What's the thoughts out there about them - we're expecting a tough game.

They are very aggressive, physical at times, decent football side also at times. Tricky game for you guys for sure.

Lot of rubbish you don't need to have seen them to know they have problems at the back. The stats tell you all you need to know. Usual fence sitting pish from you.

Btw thought you might of started a glens pollok thread given the plugging you gave it. Would of been good rather than clogging up this thread with numerous incidents in your match. Thoughts this thread was about people's thoughts on the league in general. Maybe i am wrong though.

You really are a tiresome individual at times. You're criticising me for doing exactly what everybody else sees you doing on other threads.

As a neutral watching them penalty incidents , I thought Pollok's was a definite penalty.

Rutherglen's penalty claim was a dive IMO, but I've seen loads of penalties given for less.

As you say Glensmad , it's frustrating when opposition players win debatable penalties but brilliant when your own team get them.

We've all been there. Cast your mind back to the sectional cup game between Cambuslang & Rutherglen in August. Your penalty (the winning goal) was an embarrassing dive by Thomas Kilmartin. I was raging at the time , but on reflection , I've seen Kilmartin win us loads of debatable penalties from his time at Somervell , so can't really complain because we'd benefited from his theatrics on countless occasions.

Some you win , some you lose.

First of all, a Cambuslang fan being a neutral at a Glencairn game ? Do me a favour, lol. ;-)

Your view of Pollok's penalty was probably similar to mine at the time. At the game I thought it was a certain penalty, it's only been since seeing it from close up and other angles that makes it look soft.

As for comparing our non-penalty to the one we got at your place, you probably have a point there, to be fair, although Deco did not dive that day, there was undoubtedly contact. Your goalie made a crazy challenge which gave him the chance to go down. Some you get and some you don't I suppose.

Personally don't think any of them were penalties! Both are very very soft! On the other hand if you are giving one then you really need to give the other! Big question is on the lead up to the Pollok penalty why does the Glencairn defender kick the ball out of play under no pressure? Does the linesman signal for something and the ref not give it??

Personally don't think any of them were penalties! Both are very very soft! On the other hand if you are giving one then you really need to give the other! Big question is on the lead up to the Pollok penalty why does the Glencairn defender kick the ball out of play under no pressure? Does the linesman signal for something and the ref not give it??

Yes, the linesman signalled for a foul but the referee over-ruled him, but all the players stopped assuming the foul would be given as the referee was behind them. I agree with you, if you give one penalty for that at one end, then you have to give the other one at the other end only a few minutes later when the incident is so similar. How can one be a foul and the other is worthy of a yellow card for a dive which ultimately leads to a red card for the player later in the game ?

It's gone now, the evidence is out there and people can make up their own minds based on the videos and not just on eye-witness views. Nothing is going to change, so we get on with it.

Yes, the linesman signalled for a foul but the referee over-ruled him, but all the players stopped assuming the foul would be given as the referee was behind them. I agree with you, if you give one penalty for that at one end, then you have to give the other one at the other end only a few minutes later when the incident is so similar. How can one be a foul and the other is worthy of a yellow card for a dive which ultimately leads to a red card for the player later in the game ?

It's gone now, the evidence is out there and people can make up their own minds based on the videos and not just on eye-witness views. Nothing is going to change, so we get on with it.

I suppose we all have the benefit of watching it back, the ref doesn't to be fair! Your spot on though nothing is going to change the result now! Hard one to take though I would imagine! Good competitive game going by the highlights!

I suppose we all have the benefit of watching it back, the ref doesn't to be fair! Your spot on though nothing is going to change the result now! Hard one to take though I would imagine! Good competitive game going by the highlights!

It was a very tight game between two teams in good form. Everybody was saying at half time that it could go either way and the first goal could be crucial.

Anyway, with the league now going into cold storage for a couple of weeks, it's a good point to stop and assess how our teams have started the season in comparison to our expectations. As far as Glencairn are concerned, this is our 4th consecutive season in this league after being relegated from our only season in the Super Premier in the summer of 2011, and this has been our best points total after six games in that timescale.

2014-15 - 11 points

2013-14 - 5 points

2012-13 - 10 points

2011-12 - 6 points

We have been notoriously slow starters in recent seasons but have come on strong late in the season to lift us up to a top half finish each season, so it's encouraging that we've got ourselves into a decent position so far and hopefully we can build on that to challenge for promotion. The season we won this league (2009-10) we had 13 points after 6 games, so Pollok and Yoker are bang on that schedule at the moment and we are tucked in nicely just behind them.

I'm happy with what we've seen so far, and hopefully by the time we get back to playing league matches we'll have Jamie Gilmartin fit again, and perhaps the cup games coming up will give us a chance to give Denis McLaughlin some good pitch time as well.

Not looked online but how many super first teams are out the Scottish at this very early stage? None?

Ardeer Thistle are out, knocked out in round 1 by Shettleston. The other 13 teams are all still in the competition.

First of all, a Cambuslang fan being a neutral at a Glencairn game ? Do me a favour, lol. ;-)

Your view of Pollok's penalty was probably similar to mine at the time. At the game I thought it was a certain penalty, it's only been since seeing it from close up and other angles that makes it look soft.

As for comparing our non-penalty to the one we got at your place, you probably have a point there, to be fair, although Deco did not dive that day, there was undoubtedly contact. Your goalie made a crazy challenge which gave him the chance to go down. Some you get and some you don't I suppose.

Thank you for putting me right.

We're heading through to Greenock in the Scottish soon, and I see they've had a couple of good wins in recent weeks. What's the thoughts out there about them - we're expecting a tough game.

You are correct in that Greenock have had a good couple of results in recent weeks and they will be a tough nut for Newtongrange to crack. If Greenock get their noses in front they know how to use their stadium to their advantage. ;-) Greenock have only lost one match away from home this season so far (v Glencairn) but they have lost three of their five home games, so they can be a bit unpredictable.

Looked at the pollok pen , it's soft but the defender is stupid putting a lazy challenge if you would call it that , but it's pollok , teams in that league better get use to it

Yeh, you're probably right, Marc Russell probably doesn't need to make the challenge at that stage and he gave Winters the opportunity to go down. He was probably reacting instinctively as the ball rebound awkwardly off Ross Ballantyne's chest and it all happened very quickly.

I heard a comment from a Pollok fan a few minutes into the game yesterday after a foul was given against one of our players. "They're a bunch of hammer throwers, but that's what you get at this level." Some Pollok fans need reminding that their team is in this league as well, that's their current level as well.

Lot of rubbish you don't need to have seen them to know they have problems at the back. The stats tell you all you need to know. Usual fence sitting pish from you.

Btw thought you might of started a glens pollok thread given the plugging you gave it. Would of been good rather than clogging up this thread with numerous incidents in your match. Thoughts this thread was about people's thoughts on the league in general. Maybe i am wrong though.

So the TWAT(TADGER) is complaining about glensmad clogging up a thread the thought POT KETTLE and people in glass houses COMES TO MIND did not think he could be a bigger TADGER than he already was but just shows how wrong you can be about TADGERS over to you TWAT (TADGER )

Archived