The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2014-2015

glensmad

Glencairn will beat pollok and go top and stay there till rest of season

Glens with the squad they have and pollok shipping goals. glens win for me to go top. Can't see past those two come end of the season , should be a good game.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glens with the squad they have and pollok shipping goals. glens win for me to go top. Can't see past those two come end of the season , should be a good game.

Lol, RRG, if you say it often enough you may even start to convince yourself. ;-)

I don't think anybody from Glencairn on here has made any predictions about where we will end up this season, it's really only been RRG talking us up to take the attention away from and lower expectations on his own team, and the other financially better-off teams in the league like Largs and Cumbernauld who I still expect to be in the promotion mix.

Maybe pumped is a bit harsh just a figure of speech though but remind me how many games have you won again?

Because we've not won doesn't mean we've been pumped. We've played Pollok away, Largs away and Greenock away which are all very hard games. We drew with Yoker who beat yous plus we should've won that game. Beat off Shettleston who also beat yous, so once you win any of they very hard fixtures you can come back n say something.

Had a very hard start and except from Saturday haven't played badly just a matter of time before the results come.

Because we've not won doesn't mean we've been pumped. We've played Pollok away, Largs away and Greenock away which are all very hard games. We drew with Yoker who beat yous plus we should've won that game. Beat off Shettleston who also beat yous, so once you win any of they very hard fixtures you can come back n say something.

Had a very hard start and except from Saturday haven't played badly just a matter of time before the results come.

Vics were very unfortunate not to pick something up at Newlandsfield.

So far I don't think there has been any team I have seen that is far superior to anyone else, it seems an evenly matched league. If a team gets a few good results they could easily go on a run and equally a few bad results and will find yourself in trouble.

I think every game we have played this season in the league the result could have been different. We dropped points while being in winning situations while the games we have won could easily have been draws or defeats. Cumbernauld and Maybole have been our biggest wins but both teams had as many chances as we did so could easily have been a very different score.

This weekend's fixtures :-

Ardeer Thistle (7th) v Thorniewood United (13th)

Cumbernauld United (8th) v Yoker Athletic (4th)

Irvine Victoria (12th) v Kilsyth Rangers (11th)

Largs Thistle (14th) v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (6th)

Maybole Juniors (2nd) v Greenock Juniors (9th)

Neilston Juniors (10th) v Shettleson (5th)

Rutherglen Glencairn (3rd) v Pollok (1st)

Vics were very unfortunate not to pick something up at Newlandsfield.

So far I don't think there has been any team I have seen that is far superior to anyone else, it seems an evenly matched league. If a team gets a few good results they could easily go on a run and equally a few bad results and will find yourself in trouble.

I think every game we have played this season in the league the result could have been different. We dropped points while being in winning situations while the games we have won could easily have been draws or defeats. Cumbernauld and Maybole have been our biggest wins but both teams had as many chances as we did so could easily have been a very different score.

I thought the same on the day, although when you go to places like Newlandsfield you'll get punished if you don't take your chances and that's what happened unfortunately.

Apart from the Greenock game every one of our own games could've went either way but so far we've just been unfortunate and they've not went our way, on other days they might have.

This weekend's fixtures :-

Ardeer Thistle (7th) v Thorniewood United (13th)

Cumbernauld United (8th) v Yoker Athletic (4th)

Irvine Victoria (12th) v Kilsyth Rangers (11th)

Largs Thistle (14th) v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (6th)

Maybole Juniors (2nd) v Greenock Juniors (9th)

Neilston Juniors (10th) v Shettleson (5th)

Rutherglen Glencairn (3rd) v Pollok (1st)

Ardeer win

Yoker win

No comment haha

Rob Roy win

Draw

Shettleston win

Draw

Probably all wrong...

Yoker have quietly moved up into 2nd place after another impressive result today, taking advantage of Glencairn and Maybole both losing.

Glencairn's first defeat of the season today after 10 games, but Pollok were easily the best opposition we have faced so far.

The match report from Glencairn v Pollok will be published this afternoon, but for me the game swung on two debatable penalty decisions, both of which went in favour of the league leaders. The game was finely balanced at 0-0 at just before the hour mark and really could have gone either way.

Pollok's penalty award, from my angle, looked an absolute stonewaller, but I'm told by those who were looking at it from the other side of the ground that it is not so certain, and our defender Marc Russell was adamant that he pulled his leg out of the way and that there was no contact. Davie Brown's four cameras (yes, four, show off !) were very close to the incident, so I guess we'll get a good look at it soon enough.

Glencairn's penalty claim was at the exact opposite end of the ground, and happened right in front of me. My initial reaction was that it was a penalty, but the referee didn't hesitate to rule that it was a dive and had the yellow card out for Gavin Ross before the big man could even get back up off the ground. There was undoubtedly contact, and Ross only has the goalie to beat if he stays on his feet. It seemed a very similar decision to the one at the other end, but a different decision by the referee. Again, Gerry our cameraman was very close to the incident, so we'll see soon enough if my view is correct or slightly tainted by wishful thinking.

Apart from that, it was a frustrating afternoon for us. We have five strikers on our books at the moment, but ended the match with none. Our top goal scorer Jamie Gilmartin was injured, Denis McLaughlin was away for the weekend, Thomas Kilmartin came off injured before half time, Steven McClung joined him in the treatment room midway through the second half, and then Gavin Ross was sent off for a second yellow. Once Pollok got their second goal the game was up as we had no strikers left.

Still, one defeat in ten to start the season is not much to grumble about, and that defeat against a team with multiple times the resources that we have as a club in terms of support, personnel and money. Pollok are the first team to score more than the one goal against us in a competitive match this season, although one of them was a penalty (which Hutchison nearly saved). Our defence is doing well, but we need to score more goals. We'll get there though, we have good strikers, we just need to get them fit.

Largs fans must be getting a bit concerned now, six games into the season, only two points gained and only two goals scored.

As usual in this league, it's all bunched up and only two points separate Maybole in 3rd and Greenock in 8th.

Irvine Vics and Thorniewood are also still looking for their first wins, while Cumbernauld have really still to get going, although I still expect them to be promotion challengers. Kilsyth scored a late equaliser to deny Irvine Vics their first win.

Maybole, Glencairn, Shettleston, Rob Roy, Ardeer and Greenock are tucked in nicely just behind pace setters Pollok and Yoker, with games in hand as well.

Archived