The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2014-2015

glensmad

It's not our home game, so I can't really tell what the chances of our game are other than look at the forecast and take the word of gjfc25 that it is "very unlikely".

April and May always seems to he busy for us, so it's nothing new. As long as the season is over by the 1st Saturday in June when I go on holiday. ;-) (Mind you, if we get the play-off spot then it's unlikely to be over by then.)

Trust me your season will be over by then and as for the play off spot sir.

Don't be silly :o;)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a bold statement to make sticky Vicky.

I thought so too, as we're currently 7 points behind 3rd place with 5 games in hand and more than half a season still to play. But he's entitled to make a prediction, no problem with that.

Fully expect the big glens squad to click and get second place.

I hope you're right, but I wouldn't say a squad of 18 is "big". We currently have 20 names listed on our website, but 4 of those are non-active players (Brian Eadie, Dean Muir, Nicky Sullivan and Paul Thomson) and are not part of the current playing squad. We have a couple of players to add to the list when their paperwork goes through, so the squad currently sits at 18.

Just watched the Greenock vs Glencairn highlights, both Greenock penalties should never have been given and how the referee never gave Glencairn a penalty for McLaughlin's lung on the Glens player I don't know, looked like a good game.

Just watched the Greenock vs Glencairn highlights, both Greenock penalties should never have been given and how the referee never gave Glencairn a penalty for McLaughlin's lung on the Glens player I don't know, looked like a good game.

I didn't want to be the one who said so first, as I'd possibly be accused of being a bad loser. But we battered Greenock 3-4 on Saturday, their committee guys were saying to me at half time that they couldn't believe it was 1-1 as Glens should have been about 5-1 up. The first Greenock penalty was soft, the second one was just a clear dive and everybody in the stand agreed, the Greenock committee guys beside me were laughing. The clearest cut penalty was the one for us which wasn't given near the end.

Having said that, we missed a rake of chances, and the Greenock goalkeeper had an afternoon he'll remember for a long time. We're just not getting the breaks in competitive games at the moment, we played very well on Saturday but we seem to be getting punished for every mistake.

But that's football.

I didn't want to be the one who said so first, as I'd possibly be accused of being a bad loser. But we battered Greenock 3-4 on Saturday, their committee guys were saying to me at half time that they couldn't believe it was 1-1 as Glens should have been about 5-1 up. The first Greenock penalty was soft, the second one was just a clear dive and everybody in the stand agreed, the Greenock committee guys beside me were laughing. The clearest cut penalty was the one for us which wasn't given near the end.

Having said that, we missed a rake of chances, and the Greenock goalkeeper had an afternoon he'll remember for a long time. We're just not getting the breaks in competitive games at the moment, we played very well on Saturday but we seem to be getting punished for every mistake.

But that's football.

You've said it there.

From watching the highlights the games outcome was firmly in your control, but the glens blew it with poor finishing.

You've said it there.

From watching the highlights the games outcome was firmly in your control, but the glens blew it with poor finishing.

Yep, Ross McNeil round the goalkeeper and missing an open goal, Del Esplin firing straight at the goalkeeper when clean through, McNeil hitting the crossbar, plus a string of great saves from the Greenock goalkeeper. How he kept out the one from Denis McLaughlin I'll never know.

I'd be more concerned if we weren't playing well, though. The goals will come.

Was gobsmacked when i read the league table and you have only conceded 23 goals in 12 games. You seem to concede 3 or 4 goals every game i am paying attention to your score.

Was gobsmacked when i read the league table and you have only conceded 23 goals in 12 games. You seem to concede 3 or 4 goals every game i am paying attention to your score.

We have been conceding a lot of goals of late, that is a concern. However, at the start of the season we were very tight, it was mid October before a team scored more than one against us in a competitive game, and that was Pollok. I think we're conceding because we're putting ourselves under pressure by missing chances at the other end. If we score the goals, it takes the pressure off the back line. But we'll get there, our strikers are all good players, the goals will come.

Glencairn no.9 should have had the game wrapped up by half time.

Good win for Greenock, they are on a decent run at the minute.

Yes, Ross McNeil should have scored when he went round the goalkeeper, but he was unlucky with the one that hit the bar. I don't think he had any other significant chances in the first half. He scored in the second half and then saw the Greenock 'keeper make a great save from his header.

Ross has scored 7 goals in 6 starts since joining us, but we know there is more to come from him. Deco and McLaughlin are on good form as well, both scored against Irvine Meadow yesterday, so I'm confident the goals will come and we'll start to shore up at the back as a consequence. I hope so anyway.

We have been conceding a lot of goals of late, that is a concern. However, at the start of the season we were very tight, it was mid October before a team scored more than one against us in a competitive game, and that was Pollok. I think we're conceding because we're putting ourselves under pressure by missing chances at the other end. If we score the goals, it takes the pressure off the back line. But we'll get there, our strikers are all good players, the goals will come.

The goals will come, that your saying for the day glensmad ha .

The goals will come, that your saying for the day glensmad ha .

Lol, well I'm basing that on our scoring 16 goals in our last three friendlies, and 3 goals in our last competitive match. We missed tons of chances on Saturday, but we still scored three goals away from home. On most days that would get you three points. But we need to score the goals at important points of the match, that seems to be our issue at the moment. But that'll come.

Looked at league table , and have to say the chance of glencairn finishing 2nd are all but gone , they would in my opinion need to take 25 out of 30 points to have any chance

It's a big ask, I'll give you that. But we have 42 points still to play for, if we take 28 points from that (a big ask, I know) then we won't be far away from competing for the play-off.

It's refreshing to see you ruling us out of promotion this season instead of your usual ruling us out of staying up. ;-)

Archived