Heart of Midlothian 2014-

13 minutes ago, Cumdog35 said:

It would be interesting to see how he would fare without a ridiculous wage bill. 

Pretty sure Paulo Sergio signed one player, which was Beattie, who was about finished - I could be wrong about that, mind.

The team that season featured guys like McDonald, McGowan Grainger, Black, Barr, etc - doubt they were on massive wages - again, I could be wrong.

Anyway...

:lol:

21 minutes ago, Cumdog35 said:

It would be interesting to see how he would fare without a ridiculous wage bill. 

It was ridiculous no one was paid. I think he would do a lot better at a stable club.

I keep seeing people saying he had a good squad, massive wages etc. This was the cup final team:

MacDonald

McGowan Webster Zaliukas Grainger

Barr Black

Suso Skacel Driver

Elliott

A team of world-beaters right enough. None of them were his signings and most of them improved significantly under him. He made Ian Black look like Pirlo FFS.

It's just a comfort blanket because we pumped them rotten.

As is the fact that the 'massive wage bill' was largely down to incompetently spunking far more money than was necessary on many average to utterly shite players.

Most intriguing thing about Sergio is that he says he is more than happy to work with Levein which might not be the case with other experienced managers.  He's the type of manager the fans would be patient with, it'd give the place a lift and even potentially flog a few more ST sales.  His league record was patchy but as discussed he was working with an average squad and had his hands tied behind his back yet still masterminded some of our best results in modern times.  

It's a bit of the heart ruling the head obviously but I'd be delighted.

We were also quite pish in the league under him weren't we?

To begin with

It took him a while to sort out our accident prone, blundering defence into a cohesive unit.

By the end of the season our league form wasn't majestic but we were decent and of course we peaked at just the right time

14 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

To begin with

It took him a while to sort out our accident prone, blundering defence into a cohesive unit.

By the end of the season our league form wasn't majestic but we were decent and of course we peaked at just the right time

Definitely this.  When he first came in he tried to play a foreign style possession game and it took him a while to realise that wouldn't work.  Once he changed it we were pretty good for a spell before dipping again in the post split fixtures. But all anyone was bothered about by then was making sure Rudi never got injured for the final.

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I think it's also forgotten Sergio had us on a really good run earlier in the season before the wages debacle kicked in.  included an absolute filleting of Celtic at Tynecastle

I've not forgotten.  Rudi's goal in that game :wub:

Definitely this.  When he first came in he tried to play a foreign style possession game and it took him a while to realise that wouldn't work.  Once he changed it we were pretty good for a spell before dipping again in the post split fixtures. But all anyone was bothered about by then was making sure Rudi never got injured for the final.

Today is the 6th Anniversary of him being appointed first time

He didn't get a pre-season that time either

I seem to have talked myself onto a bandwagon

7 minutes ago, Cumdog35 said:

Sergio's record since leaving Hearts;

Win percentage;

CFR Cluj 36.84%
APOEL 20%
Academica 11.54%
Dibba Al-Fujairah 0%

It's his record at Hearts that would interest me.

Not taking into account he's the man who presided over the driest length we have ever slipped you.