Heart of Midlothian 2014-

Really weird appointment if it happens. One of those ones where you genuinely wonder what they've seen that you've missed. I guess on a very basic level from the outside you'd see a guy who get Hearts promoted with a record points tally and now has them sitting 4th in the top league. Obviously when you even begin to scratch the surface you see that isn't really an achievement and that at the moment they are sitting below where Budge says she expects them to finish at the end of the season. From the outside it seems like he's done more or less what's been asked of him, but nothing that would make me think clubs would be after him, particularly when we don't know how much of a say Levein has.

More generally, I never understand why clubs don't appoint based on experience of being in similar situations. MK Dons need someone who has experience of coming into a team lacking in confidence and needing to be made more solid and grind out wins at the bottom end of a table to avoid relegation. Why you'd then appoint someone who has little experience of anything, but no experience of the situation that he'd find himself in is beyond me. Even just someone who had a track record of getting the collective team to be greater than the sum of its parts would be a start. It's become almost a stock response now in Scotland but how clubs could look at Nielson over someone like Tommy Wright is really weird. Just shows a complete lack of any amount of research.

Hearts will probably pretend they are playing hard ball, but secretly will be happy for him to go and get a fee into the bargain.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Really weird appointment if it happens. One of those ones where you genuinely wonder what they've seen that you've missed. I guess on a very basic level from the outside you'd see a guy who get Hearts promoted with a record points tally and now has them sitting 4th in the top league. Obviously when you even begin to scratch the surface you see that isn't really an achievement and that at the moment they are sitting below where Budge says she expects them to finish at the end of the season. From the outside it seems like he's done more or less what's been asked of him, but nothing that would make me think clubs would be after him, particularly when we don't know how much of a say Levein has.

More generally, I never understand why clubs don't appoint based on experience of being in similar situations. MK Dons need someone who has experience of coming into a team lacking in confidence and needing to be made more solid and grind out wins at the bottom end of a table to avoid relegation. Why you'd then appoint someone who has little experience of anything, but no experience of the situation that he'd find himself in is beyond me. Even just someone who had a track record of getting the collective team to be greater than the sum of its parts would be a start. It's become almost a stock response now in Scotland but how clubs could look at Nielson over someone like Tommy Wright is really weird. Just shows a complete lack of any amount of research.

Hearts will probably pretend they are playing hard ball, but secretly will be happy for him to go and get a fee into the bargain.

Great post.

10 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

you'd see a guy who get Hearts promoted with a record points tally and now has them sitting 4th in the top league. Obviously when you even begin to scratch the surface you see that isn't really an achievement

You're going to have to talk me through that one buddy

Liam Fox at Cowdenbeath.

Nowhere near ready for this job.

One could argue that Neilson wasn't either when Budge\Levein appointed him.

As for the Hartley shouts on the radio and on Twitter, I'd scratch that down as no chance. John Nelms is basically building the club around Hartley and whilst I'd normally say there probably is a decent chance Hearts could poach a manager from us, he'd be far from cheap and he absolutely would not accept anything other than 100% control of all footballing affairs. So Levein would need to go if you were to realistically go after Hartley. Pressley is a more realistic (Yet laughable) shout.

Anyways, I reckon it'll be someone needing a break in management that'll accept having Levein in charge.

30 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The question is whether he'd be fine with it. If he actually wanted to be Hearts manager he would be already. It's a reasonable assumption that if he's there at all he'll be there on a "caretaker" basis.

I'd kind of assumed that he was going to take the job as soon as Budgement day happened.

Taking a punt on an inexperienced coach like Neilson seemed a bit of a risk. 

Ken - Budge put Levein in charge of the football side of things, and, if he wanted to manage, he would have done it himself.

The appointment of Neilson was a surprise to me, and I automatically assumed he would be a puppet - there's obviously much more to it than that..

I just sort of think that, if Levein is going to call the shots, it would be better if he was the guy in the dug-out.

If Neilson goes, and it looks like he probably will, it'll have to be someone who can work closely with Levein.

Jon Daly? No thanks. Crawford? Maybe - who knows!

I don't think Neilson at MK Dons will end well.

Ken - Budge put Levein in charge of the football side of things, and, if he wanted to manage, he would have done it himself.

The appointment of Neilson was a surprise to me, and I automatically assumed he would be a puppet - there's obviously much more to it than that..

I just sort of think that, if Levein is going to call the shots, it would be better if he was the guy in the dug-out.

If Neilson goes, and it looks like he probably will, it'll have to be someone who can work closely with Levein.

Jon Daly? No thanks. Crawford? Maybe - who knows!

I don't think Neilson at MK Dons will end well.

Just to address your Levein point - I'm not sure if it was whilst Scotland or United manager but he said he's not a fan of being in the dugout and prefers to watch the game from a distance.

When he was United manager he'd sit in the stand for the first half and come down for the second which he said 'is to get a reaction'.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Just to address your Levein point - I'm not sure if it was whilst Scotland or United manager but he said he's not a fan of being in the dugout and prefers to watch the game from a distance.

When he was United manager he'd sit in the stand for the first half and come down for the second which he said 'is to get a reaction'.

I think you probably can view the match better from the stand, and wouldn't have a problem with him or anyone else doing that.

By 'in the dug-out', I think I mean 'in the firing line'.

I think Levein will be a stumbling block to any established manager taking the job.  For example I don't think Hartley would want to work under him.  Maybe wishful thinking!

ETA - assuming Robbie actually leaves.

Edited by Daydream

3 minutes ago, Daydream said:

I think Levein will be a stumbling block to any established manager taking the job.  For example I don't think Hartley would want to work under him.  Maybe wishful thinking!

It was Levein who signed Hartley for Hearts, mind.

If Hartley could work with Levein, I think I'd be happy with that.

I think Hartley's desire to play expansive football could clash with Levein's pragmatism.

Just now, paranoid android said:

I think Hartley's desire to play expansive football could clash with Levein's pragmatism.

We're no longer expansive :(

He probably could if Levein took a complete back seat (Suppose it'd be nice for your former boss to have your back rather than a random chairman). He keeps going on about how he's building something at Dens and he is. He's the one that's deciding everything at the club right down to the inspirational quotes that are painted on the dressing room walls. He'd never get that at Hearts - Levein or no Levein.

I'm concerned with this news, but not overly. It's a possibility but it'd need so many differing changes of ethos.

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

You lost your top two attacking players in the summer.

It's taken Hartley a quarter of a season to work out how to win games without them.  Be a shame to lose him now.  I echo what Ludo says - this is concerning but not overly.